7/8 S-Style in Black Cherry / Wenge Warhead

When referring to the Suhr diagram for P-4 do you mean what the diagram in the table has marked as 2) Neck Split (Coil #1)?
Yes. I’m used to position 1 being the bridge pickup and not the neck pickup. I wish all pickup manufacturers would get on the same page. I also wish all manufacturers would provide a universal spec on output of a pickup!

Yes. I’m used to position 1 being the bridge pickup and not the neck pickup. I wish all pickup manufacturers would get on the same page. I also wish all manufacturers would provide a universal spec on output of a pickup!

Okay, just wanted to check, I also tend to refer to bridge as position 1. Will have a look at your question tomorrow as it is getting late here.

In a perfect world, I rather have the P-4 neck-split into a neck pup in parallel instead. Can this be done without extra switching components?

I had a look at this and P-4 or 2 as shown on the Suhr diagram could not be achieved with the other positions as they are without extra switching.

The closest I think you could get is
  1. Bridge Series
  2. Bridge Parallel
  3. Bridge (Series) and Neck (Series) in parallel
  4. Neck (Parallel)
  5. Neck Series
I have a diagram for that with Seymour Duncan wiring colours if it is of interest.

My favorite HH diagram for 24 frets is the Ibanez 2502N switch.

It gives these:
1. Bridge Series
2. B+N inner coils (very position 2 strat sounding)
3. B+N Humbuckers
4. Neck Parallel (very neck single coil soungind)
5. Neck Series

I also like the same diagram for HH 22 fret guitars but I physically rotate the neck pickup so position 2 is the neck side coils and it give a very tele sound.

I've tried both super's and stratman's, stratman's will give you more omph, while super's gets you into a prs territory. I say try both, though I wound up with stratman's.

The closest I think you could get is
  1. Bridge Series
  2. Bridge Parallel
  3. Bridge (Series) and Neck (Series) in parallel
  4. Neck (Parallel)
  5. Neck Series
Thanks! It’s almost perfect, ha ha! But I’m obsessed with a Strat-Quack position.

… Ibanez 2502N switch.
It gives these:
1. Bridge Series
2. B+N inner coils (very position 2 strat sounding)
3. B+N Humbuckers
4. Neck Parallel (very neck single coil soungind)
5. Neck Series
This is perfect, but it means that I would have to install a different 5-way switch… Darn it!!

I've tried both super's and stratman's, stratman's will give you more omph, while super's gets you into a prs territory.
I prefer the humbucker option of parallel wiring over the option of tapping a humbucker’s single coil for an alternate sound.

Anyways, yesterday I rewired the the 5-way switch to follow the Suhr diagram at post #19. Proper operation of the pickups was confirmed by tapping the steel blades of each coil while plugged into a live amp. Thanks, Stratamania!

Still waiting for those new tuners… Ugh!

To really get a Strat quack, the best bet is a Strat with single coils. You can get pickups such as the Joe Barden Two Tones that will get you close, for example, but those cost a lot more than Wilde L500 variants.

Anyways, yesterday I rewired the the 5-way switch to follow the Suhr diagram at post #19. Proper operation of the pickups was confirmed by tapping the steel blades of each coil while plugged into a live amp. Thanks, Stratamania!

Sure, glad it worked for you.

Ok here is what I found. This is a diagram that does this:

1. Bridge HB
2. Inner Coils (stratty)
3. Both HB
4. Outer Coils (Tele-ish)
5. Neck HB

It has a push/pull on the tone that switches a couple things to give pickups in parallel options
1. Bridge HB
2. Bridge Parallel
3. Both HB
4. Neck Parallel
5. Neck HB

These are Seymour Duncan color codes and its important to install the both pickups with the cables exiting toward the control cavity.

Attachments

• Super 5-Way HH Inner&Outer or Parallel.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 6
You can do it with a super 5 way very easily. I will have to see if I can find a diagram or I can make one soon

Not that I can see to get:

1. Bridge
  2. Bridge and Neck split to inner coils
  3. Bridge and Neck Full
  4. Neck (Parallel)
  5. Neck Series
I seem to have lost the file I used to make that PDF otherwise I would redraw it as exactly a 2502N switch.

Can you make a sketch?

Not that I can see to get:

1. Bridge
  2. Bridge and Neck split to inner coils
  3. Bridge and Neck Full
  4. Neck (Parallel)
  5. Neck Series

Can you make a sketch?
I had some time to redraw it this morning.

I made one diagram for the super 5 way act the same as the 2502N. Ignore the push/pull tone that is drawn.

The second diagram adds a push/pull (or any other spdt switch) to make position 2 be bridge in parallel for a bridge "single" sound.

NOTE:
Even in Ibanez guitars the pickups are installed so that the neck pickup is rotated 180 from the "normal" position. This means that the screw coil (south polarity) is closer to the bridge.

Attachments

• 2502N Super Switch Push-Pull.pdf
    35.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2502N Super Switch.pdf
    34.5 KB · Views: 7
What does this sticker code mean?
View attachment 60346

I know for sure that WO is Warmoth's internal work order number. I believe PNT is the initials of the person who painted it. I know that we stick an orange dot on a neck to indicate that it has received paint (it's hard to tell sometimes), but I'm not sure what it signifies on bodies.

You have done a pretty good job with the photographs of the Metallic Black Cherry. It is difficult to capture in a photograph how it actually looks in the real world.

I had the exact same thought. Black Cherry is typically very hard to photograph.

I made one diagram for the super 5 way act the same as the 2502N. Ignore the push/pull tone that is drawn.

A suitable approach, well done. Using Seymour Duncan colours for position 2 the neck white and black wires are just left, not making a connection and the red jumpered to hot. Similarly, red in position 2 of the bridge pickup is similar. Of course, green and bare are permanently grounded in both cases.

Last edited:

I made one diagram for the super 5 way act the same as the 2502N.
I copied your pdf diagram and saved it as png file. I’m trying hard to understand the wiring and the abilities of the 5-way super-switch. Can you walk me through the connections of position 4? I don’t understand how this setup creates the neck pup in parallel configuration. Does position 2 create the bridge pup in parallel, and does not tap the inner coils?

IMG_0899.jpeg

Lets start with position 2 which is the North (slug) coil of the the Bridge and the South (screw) coil of the neck. For that you need these connections:
Neck - Red to hot and Green to ground
Bridge - Black to hot and White to ground

Position 4 is Neck in parallel. For that we need these connections:
Hot - Red and Black
Ground - White and Green

All of those connections are made on the diagram. Is that what you were looking for?

Also the second one will the added push/pull only affects position 2. That one changes the connections in that position to make the bridge pickup in parallel and disconnecting the neck inner coil.

Back