Gibson conversion or 7/8 build

roc

I want to build a custom strat, some years ago I had a wrist injury that developed into chronic inflammation whenever a played for more than an hour. a year later I found a lpj on a music store and I loved it, nice sustain and somehow I didnt feel anything while playing I played for a couple hours testing amps, next day, nothing! I couldnt buy one at the time. I tried changing strings trying different axes, and I found the lower scale helps the most.

I have decided to build something a custom strat, that has a lower scale, I found that warmoth has 7/8 scale parts and Gibson scale conversion necks, both tick the 24.75 box, so my question is, what are the pros and cons of each build. If a 7/8 uses a small body and a standard length 7/8 neck will it neck dive.
how about picking hand confort, tone, playability how does it compare vs a standard body and a conversion neck build?

I can't use my pers body as It wont fit the neck. So it would be a full build.

the big one is that the 7/8 are 24 fret vs 22 on a conversion neck. The smaller body isnt too small in my experience. I know that @aarontunes mentioned that having a conversion neck on a strat takes a bit of a muscle memory adjustment because of the scale length.

I also have hand/nerve issues and use shorter scale instruments when possible. I haven't played the 7/8 stuff, but here's my experience with normal size conversion neck.

I'm playing a regular-size Warmoth Strat body with a Gibson scale conversion tiltback Strat neck, Fatback profile trimmed down just as much as needed to support my hand as much as possible, and it's been a godsend, so glad I built it. I have the strap button on the neck screw closest to the bass strings & headstock, which angles the neck into a perfect position for my hand, totally zero strain. You can do that on a regular Fender scale too but it doesn't quite sit the same way or as comfortably in my opinion. The regular size allows the right arm to balance and angle the guitar how you want depending on what register of the neck you're playing in if you have the forearm cut.

There is a little more neck dive than my Fender, but the neck is heavier (Modern construction, big profile) and the body is lighter (no trem, strings through body) so it might depend on the combination. Picking is more comfortable (might also be bc of the neck screw strap button), tone is a little fatter/warmer IMO and that's what Aaron's shootout revealed as well. Playability is greater in the first 10 or so frets, and then it gets a little more crowded - long scale is easier to deal with higher register playing in that way, plus it has more snap.

Again, I haven't played the 7/8 but highly recommend normal size conversion neck setup for hand issues.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you have to use 7/8 necks on 7/8 bodies for a 24 fret 24 3/4" scale. There should be no problems with balance.

The 22 fret conversion necks are for use with the full-size bodies to convert them to 24 3/4" scale, and they will not work or intonate on the 7/8 bodies.

It is possible to use without issue a 24" scale 22 fret Mustang/Jaguar neck on a 7/8 body, however, which would give you a shorter scale again.

My gibson scaled boatneck was the one that turned 30 minutes of playing before aches set in, to 2 hours or so, easy.

It's THAT drastic.

Get the conversion neck, btw. It fits on any body that is set up to accept a fender compatible neck.
There are tons more body shapes to choose from as well.

Back