4 way telecaster switch

Jack_H

I got a set of Fender Pure Vintage 51 Telecaster pickups, and I am looking at 4 way switch setup. Has anyone done it and was it worth the trouble, or should I just keep it simple and do a 3 way switch.

I have a 4 way switch in my jazzcaster and while it wasn't all that much trouble, I personally don't care for or use series position all that much. To me it just sounds like a really mediocre humbucker. The fact that it's hum-canceling does add some utility, but you can always use the middle position for that if you need to.

On the other hand, I know that theres folks out there who do like the series position tone 🤷‍♂️

I have the https://emersoncustom.com/products/t4-4-way-telecaster-prewired-kit installed on both of my Telecasters, and it works wonderfully with Lollar Telecaster and P90 pickups. So much that I find the additional 4th position to always be my favorite and most utilized sound of the four options. Feels like a full humbucker but remains clear. Kind of a no-brainer (to me at least) since you don't "pay" any visual price for it, and four options is still few enough that I never bump into the "paradox of choice" issue!

I have a 4-way switch in a Peavey Tele-style guitar. I am not the one who wired it though. While I don't feel like I "need" it, the 4th position produces a nice punchy lead tone. It puts the bridge and neck pickups together in series.

Yes, there is a 4 Way Tele switch in the Warmoth Tele I put together. Not that complicated to do, but like all things, whether something is worth it is a personal thing. But then again, I was not using vintage style pickups and did not need to mod the neck pickup as the needed wires were already there.

Last edited:
I used a Lollar 4-way pre-wired kit in my Telecaster. I like positions 1 & 2 more at the moment, but position 4 sounds twankier and I could see a use for it at some point.

Switch Function:
Position 1: Bridge
Position 2: Neck and Bridge (Parallel)
Position 3: Neck
Position 4: Neck and Bridge (Series)

Thanks for all your inputs. I am looking at wiring diagram from Fralin's website but I am sure there are other combinations.

My 1st full partscaster was a Warmoth Tele (avatar) with a 4 way switch.

I've found I never use the 4th position for the "humbucker" tone. The tone is more akin to the middle position of something like a Les Paul, and it's at a noticeably higher volume than when using the single coils. I've learned, like when using a Les Paul, I'm good with a 3 way switch for N/M/B.

Since that 1st Tele, I've made 2 other Warmoths and working on another project currently. On the other 2 Warmoths, I gave them push pulls for coil splitting and what not. I never use the functionality. Again, I find myself just using the "standard" pickup selections.

As for advice, go for it. It's not hard to do and you may like the tonal options it brings. If you don't like it, it's cheap and easy to use the standard 3 way lever.

Back