3 mms extension on swimming pool route

vtpcnk

other than jazzmaster bodies i am finding it very difficult to find a body which will host jazzmaster pickups - primarily due to the size of the jm pickup.

then after some research i find that the swimming pool/universal route might just hit the ballpark - though short by 3 millimeters.

universal route is 8.9 cms (3 1/2 inches) wide while the jm pickup is 9.2 cms wide.

So can that extra 3 mm routing extension be done by sanding (with a few rubs of sandpaper)?

i spoke to guitarcenter and they want 100 dollars for doing that!!!

appreciate the insights.

You could sand it back far enough if you were in prison and had nothing else to do for a couple/few years. Otherwise, it's a job for The Routerbeast  :icon_biggrin:

No, as cagey says, 3mm of hardwood would take more than 'a few rubs of sandpaper'. Quick and easy job with a router though - maybe have a look for an independent tech in your area, if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

Alternatively, depending how absolutely 'authentic' you want to be, you could try a JM-style pickup in a P90, or even humbucker form.

3mm is roughly 1/8", if you can remove that much material with a few rubs of sandpaper, you should never strum a guitar... :laughing11:

ok, thanks for the insights.

i want a guitar with jm pickups or a jp pickup paired with a wide range humbucker.

no point going for a p90 or hb size as it might defeat the purpose.

i will have to check for a local tech. thanks again.

stratamania said:
If a pickguard is going over it you could just use a chisel and pare away the 3mm.
This is a valid possibility. A good, properly sharpened chisel can be used for that without needing to tap it with a hammer. When I was young (yes, I was young once) I opened up the neck cavity of my Tele to accept a humbucker. I did the whole thing with a chisel and did a pretty good job of it. It has 45 degree corners instead of rounded on the one side but it worked fine and the pickguard covered it.

I'm kind of surprised that GC would even do routing. Obviously you're trying to build a Warmoth here, but I think the new Fender Parallel Universe Series has some Jazzmaster pickups in other kinds of bodies.

Rgand said:
It has 45 degree corners instead of rounded on the one side but it worked fine and the pickguard covered it....
Pickguards are the musical equivalent of moulding: It doth cover a multitude of sins!

Back