Zircote Baritone

W

Watershed

Finally arrived in the mail today!

A baritone Warmoth headstock.
The fingerboard is Zircote.  I saw the piece in the Unique Choice section.
Zircote.jpg

Had to have it.

For the neckwood, I really thought I ordered bubinga, but it seems my order says wenge.
I really don't want to loose the fingerboard, and I do like wenge.
This will make my third wenge neck though.
I guess worse things could happen.
:eek:ccasion14:

It's quartersawn.
Quartersawn.jpg

The plan is to put it on this body
Baritone.jpg

It's definitely sweet.
Gotoh 510 bridge, and still not sure about the pickups.

Still working out the paint scheme as well.
When I first got the body I was thinking of a "faded blue jean" a la PRS.
Though, with the darker neck than expected, something reddish might be good too.

James

Sweet, gotta love the ziricote. I have 3 necks with ziricote boards, one mahogany, one wenge and one canary..... :hello2:

that looks awesome! and the faded blue jean is exactly what i want on my VIP, but i'm having warmoth do my finish for me.

very nice! i'll be watching this build for sure  :icon_thumright:

Blue against brown would be like those worn bluejeans against the broken-in leather boots  :icon_thumright:

if you get the chance, you should take pictures going down the neck. like 1st fret to the 6th, 7th to the 12th, and on up. because i think that fretboard has some of the most character i've ever seen in a board! very nice.

Wow!!!  :eek:  That is one sweet piece of Zircote.  I would not send that back either.  I know you have other wenge necks, but you can't go wrong with the wenge.
Additionally, it is smokin' with that body.  I will be following this build.  Niiiiiiccccee!
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

CarteBlanche said:
Nice piece.  You're not going to use threaded inserts on this one?

I still have to sort out the heel.  The body was a great ebay score.
The guy who ordered it, though, specified for it NOT to have the contoured heel.
He was of the opinion that the larger heel was better for tone.
It's part of the reason this is ending up a baritone.

I'm going to want to do some sculpting there, but still haven't decided how to approach it.
The holes are in the neck just because I didn't see the point in paying $15 to have Warmoth not do something.
I never really figured that one out.

I'll probably end up sanding the heel down a bit, moving the front two holes inward and back a bit, and using recessed ferrules.
Being a baritone, I do want to leave a little more heel there.

Anyway I'll use the back two holes as guides, to hold the neck straight when I relocate the front two.
It's definitely getting inserts though.
;-)

James

Anyway I'll use the back two holes as guides, to hold the neck straight when I relocate the front two.
It's definitely getting inserts though.
;-)

Hey Watershed,

Sounds like you have used the threaded neck inserts on other builds.
How do you like them?  :icon_scratch:  They advertise increased sustain over stock configuration.  How do you feel about that?  ???

I am doing a V build that has contoured heel/720 mod.  This has resulted in having shorten the neck screws in length considerably. 
I was thinking of trying the neck inserts hoping they might provide some added support. 

Anyway, just wondered what you thought of them...
:rock-on:

bbl4ck said:
Hey Watershed,

Sounds like you have used the threaded neck inserts on other builds.
How do you like them?   :icon_scratch:  They advertise increased sustain over stock configuration.  How do you feel about that?  ???

I am doing a V build that has contoured heel/720 mod.  This has resulted in having shorten the neck screws in length considerably. 
I was thinking of trying the neck inserts hoping they might provide some added support. 

Anyway, just wondered what you thought of them...
:rock-on:

I'm definitely a fan.  It's hard to quantify the increased sustain.
The guitars I have used them on have great sustain, but there could be a lot of other factors involved.
I'll leave the marketing to the marketeers.

I don't have to go through the trouble, but I do.  I think it's a nice touch.
Ying Yang is using them on his signature strat, and you see a number of other higher end builders using them.
I do think there is something to it.

A few things I'll point out.
The machine screw itself has quite a bit more mass than a stock wood screw, and the shallower thread pitch allows you to really torque down the screws.
That has to be good for transmitting vibration.
Obviously, you can take the neck on an off all you want without wearing out the wood threads in the neck.

I'm sourcing the screws, inserts, and ferrules from three different vendors.  Shipping starts to add up.
I also could not find a black stainless steel machine screw anywhere.
So, I went so far as to have a bunch black oxide coated.  Black paint just chips off.

Anyway, I ended up with a whole bunch of inserts, screws, and ferrules.  It makes absolutely NO economic sense to black oxide coat 4 screws. 
I just decided to put together a few different kits and sell them on a website since I had WAY more than I needed.
Trust me, I'm not looking to get rich with these.  I basically put it together because I have seen others express interest, and I thought it would be cool if there was a kit (not made of zinc) that was available at a reasonable cost from one vendor.  I saw one kit in the neighborhood of $100.00.

I made a page running through the installation process:
http://www.watershedguitars.com/insert%20instructions.html

You can get the kit (if you want to try it) on the website under the products section.

Hope that helps,
James

Back