Hello, here's my birthday Warmoth

Tyrannocaster

Hello!

I haven't played in the last couple of years, though I am an ex-pro. Last month for my 70th birthday I ordered a Warmoth Strat and arranged to have it put together (but not set up yet) on my birthday. It's ironic that out of all the choices Warmoth gives you, I did a totally conservative guitar, LOL. It doesn't look particularly special at all, though it's got quite a nice body; I've just never owned a straightforward sunburst and that's what I wanted. It was easy to do - everything worked and fit perfectly, as I expected.

Anyway, it's got a roasted maple neck with roller nut, a Gotoh tremolo and Schaller locking tuners. This is my third Warmoth - the other two are 24 years old now, and still great guitars.

It worked; I started playing again, and while testing the guitar I did this little thing in a few minutes: https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/the-234-slalom

I decided I don't really like the pickups I put on it, so I've been working with a secondary body, assembling another set which sounds much better to me. I will post again with a sample of those.

i have a question or two but will do that in another post.

I hope I posted this right; every forum is different. There should be two pictures here, but the preview function isn't working for me for some reason. Also, I am having a HELL of a time with the damn capthca text!

Attachments

• WarmothBodyFrontNoPG.jpg
    WarmothBodyFrontNoPG.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 241
  • P1050676small.jpg
    P1050676small.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 356
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Beautiful guitar and great playing.

How about some pics of your old guitars as well? :icon_thumright:

Thank you. Looking at the stuff available on my computer, I have a couple of pix handy. One guitar is a Strat and one is a Tele. I finished the bodies and necks myself, using nitro. The necks were stained with analine oak dye first, and that worked so well you wouldn't believe it; the color is perfect! They are the most beautiful aged necks, LOL.

I swear, these are the worst captchas I've ever encountered for legibility.

Attachments

• RedTeleP1040809SmallCrop.jpg
    RedTeleP1040809SmallCrop.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DesertRoseSmallP1040539.jpg
    DesertRoseSmallP1040539.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 231
Beautiful Strat and great playing! Welcome to the forum. The Capchas are a frequent source of consternation for new members, but they go away once you have a few posts, 10 I think?

I'm so glad to hear that! It keeps telling me I entered the wrong letters, while showing me the letters I just entered.

Welcome Sir. I say Sir because I'm only 66 and Mom and Dad said respect your Elders.  :icon_thumright:
Beautiful guitars and you did a great job on them. I like that amp too... :headbang:

The amp in the picture is an oddball. It has a Matchless preamp, but the power section is straight Tweed Twin, only it uses EL34s and it's...cathode biased! (So it's more like a tweed Pro than a Twin, really.) It has two Celestions in it. It's the cleanest build I ever did. It sounds pretty good.

Attachments

• TweedlessP1040217.jpg
    TweedlessP1040217.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 180
I forgot to mention that like my other Warmoths, this has a larger neck than the regular Fender issue. In this case, the roller nut requires a certain width (1 11/16), but that is my preference anyway. However I also got full thickness profiles on all three Warmoths; two with boatneck contours and one with a roundback. That last one (my red Tele) is my alltime favorite neck, and I mistakenly got the boatneck on the new Warmoth neck, although I don't mind it. i got them mixed up! The red Tele also has 6100 frets, and I forgot that when I ordered the new one and got 6150s instead. You forget a lot in 24 years, LOL.

I replaced the pickups; the old ones sounded...okay, but the output was really low and I had a lot of issues when working with high gain amps so I swapped them out. Current setup is a Kinman Vintage Astound (I know, dumb name) in the bridge (I had Warmoth rout the cavity just in case, and I'm glad I did) and two single coil ceramic magnet pups whose origin I don't know in the bridge and middle. All on a tortoiseshell pickguard, and since I put new strings on it, I recorded this little solo piece using the neck and middle together. And damn, but this piece is tricky to record because you're so exposed, LOL.

https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/arlington

The Kinman sounds great for the bridge; I'm glad I finally got to use it. I've had it sitting here for a couple of years from a trade I did but I didn't have the right guitar for it. It works very well, and I have something else recorded showing that part of the guitar off, but I reckon this is enough for now.

Back