You're invited to play: Guitar Designer Tool

Not sure how I just now saw this thread, cool program.  Only problem I see right now is....

Suzanne said:
http://imspark.in/QnibHG

^^^^  I want that exact guitar.  And warmoth doesn't offer a shape just like that. And that makes me sad.

You know I was hoping this would happen... I was hoping people would be want to start designing bodies and then maybe some would become very popular and then someone out there would actually produce it ;)

I'm with you Leumasd, I *love* that Petcheo shape and I am going to request a custom body build from Warmoth for that one. No extra cash to do that at the moment, but hoping sooner than later.

@Tempest  did you know you could do that?  If you ever wanted... I can send the design to Warmoth ;)

Suzanne said:
Jumble Jumble said:
I would really like it if I could have the standard shape Strat pickguard.

Also I'd like it if I could layer some colours, even if it came out as something Warmoth couldn't do. For instance, I wanted to make a red to black burst over Swamp Ash, but couldn't, because the only trans red is over quilt maple.

Jumble did you try the Gloss Black body and then put a red burst overlay on it? You *can* layer colors. Look for the OVERLAY option in the Body section. Right now I only have an edge burst and flames, but I'll add more later.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I wanted to make was a swamp ash body with trans red paint, bursting to black at the edges. Is that possible?

Jumble Jumble said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I wanted to make was a swamp ash body with trans red paint, bursting to black at the edges. Is that possible?

Oh! Gotcha... Okay currently the "Transparent Red" bodies use the quilted maple pattern, not the swamp ash. But I think this is basically what you mean...

http://imspark.in/PlE4wk

The red dye is very similar but it too uses the quilted maple pattern. I *can* create versions that use the swamp ash pattern and I intend to do that, not just for one color but for all colors. Just have to find the time and the most efficient way to do that.

Altar said:
I saw answer to my prayers... Thanks Suzie! :icon_biggrin:

No problem Altar - I'll make those for ya ;)  I need to get through this pile of client work. Hopefully more time this weekend. The big client launches this week and then I should have more time again.

I want to also mention, that I am considering another shift in the way I implement this whole thing. It's one thing to create a stand-alone guitar configurator. But I want the site to be more than that. I want people to be able to see what others have created, and be able to comment on those, etc, and then to be able to figure out how to build it! Can I actually have a body made that looks like that? Have others made this guitar? I want to people to be able to submit designs. I want those designs to be buildable. I want capable builders to be able to build them. I want to link you with people who can actually make the stuff for you if need be.

What if?

So given the time, I want to reassess my approach and maybe do things a bit differently.

I am option to thoughts and ideas.

I also think that there should be a way for you to post your guitar without having to add a comment, cause currently if you don't comment, it doesnt get submitted.

Yep. Currently as things are, that's true. I am trying *not* to save data in the database. I am working with an artificial intelligence guy about this and he's given me some good advice about how to do it so that might change. At least I'd like it to change. The current system has flaws as far as its ability to foster interaction and I want to change that. Have to sit down and reconfigure.

Simple, but hey: http://imspark.in/TmvcU7

I like the option of F-Holes on the LPS, which Warmoth doesn't offer. Though the option of P-90s in the pickup menu would be nice.

Very cool application, Suzanne.

Hey that needs some gold hardware! ;)

I know - I have been neglecting the P90's... will add them as soon as I can.

If you want to make it "social" I think it's better to put a "share" button. This would give you a link you could paste in a forum etc. People prefer to use their existing social networks to discuss things, rather than starting a new community on every site they ever use.

It'd also make sense to put a twitter button and a facebook button on there, because not everyone who plays guitar is as anti-facebook as this community.

You could also make a thread the for all the guitars to hang out in, till you solve your data problem.

Suzanne said:
Yep. Currently as things are, that's true. I am trying *not* to save data in the database. I am working with an artificial intelligence guy about this and he's given me some good advice about how to do it so that might change. At least I'd like it to change. The current system has flaws as far as its ability to foster interaction and I want to change that. Have to sit down and reconfigure.

I don't know how you're saving builds now, but if you saved them as metadata rather than graphic images, you'd save a gigaton of space. Just create a descriptor file and load it with pointers to components. Then when you go to display the guitar, build it on the fly out of your component image resource files.

A potential downside to that is it would require some serious discipline with your resource files. Change/move one image, and you affect all the designs that used it. It would also require some real thought and planning as to the descriptor file structure. Probably need to pad it pretty good with unused placeholders to allow for future changes without breaking the build routine.

So... what do you store your database(s) in? Plastic bags? Attic space? Or, would they be files?

I can see I'm going to have to work to keep up with you guys ;)  A few answers to some of this:

1. By social I meant just being able to comment on someone's config. I have run social networks before and I am in no way interested in that level of work again ;) I just want people to be able to create something and then have others at the site be able to see it and comment on it. No forums, no nothing beyond that. I'm even going to install "is this spam" options so real users can self-clean any spammy entries.

2. Cagey right now the configs are stored as meta data, but only store them if you leave a comment AND check the box to include your config. You get a short URL if you just want that. You can post that at Facebook or Twitter or wherever you want, but no buttons yet until I do this "right"... right being something that is evolving as we use it and as I talk to you guys about it.

3. Yes I am considering using XML ;)  The AI guy suggested that and also agreed not to use the database if you don't have to. There are many good reasons for this, but using the database offers some undeniable benefits too, the least of which is convenience. I have no idea how big this thing could be and over time, there could potentially be thousands and thousands of configs that are "saved". People will want to be able to tie their configs to a user account (so I can go back and see what I was thinking, or so I can display "my collection", etc)  See I WANT to do that :)  I know exactly what I'd do at a site like this and I'm waffling about the fact I may need to go DB. The AI guy assured me it was still  better to save everything to XML, but that's new territory for me so we'll see.

Keep talking about it. The more I know about how any of us might want to use something like this, the better I know how to rearrange it. I enjoy the challenge of building "the perfect tool" and in the end I plan to step back and say I LOVE THIS THING! LOL... kinda like a new custom guitar ;)

And just a side note - you can email me using admin@  and the domain name of the site if you want my attention more quickly.

Awesome website, Suzanne; definitely kicks the pants of Kisaeke.

I was thinking about your comments about excessive imagery files.  I wonder if it might be worth looking at something like HTML5's 2D Canvas, or WebGL.  That way texturing/masking could be used to define things like pickguards.  Then instead of your resources looking like:

50 shapes + 100 patterns = 5000 image files,

you end up with

50 shapes + 100 patterns = 150 textures/masks

Just a thought.  I actually haven't looked closely enough at either spec to tell how easy this would be, but it might be work looking into (and if you need a hand, you might be able to twist my arm into lending my dev skills to the project :icon_smile:).

Back