You're invited to play: Guitar Designer Tool

I'm on an image modification binge this evening myself. I really need to do some research and find out if there's a way to batch/script that job with The GIMP. As it is, I do 'em one at a time, which eats my life.

All I can say is thank the gods for automation or I would have gone insane long ago.. I have everything scripted.

What kind of image work do you do?

P.S. An LPS style body is now up on the site, but I think I got it wrong... too small BAH. It needs to be bigger.

LOL I give you... The Golf Course Rocker... pine trees on the green even!

Attachments

• golf-course-rocker.jpg
    golf-course-rocker.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 310
Suzanne said:
All I can say is thank the gods for automation or I would have gone insane long ago.. I have everything scripted.

What kind of image work do you do?

I don't know why I didn't go looking for some automation earlier. Plenty exists, and I solved my problem in 5 minutes. Resized 64 images in less time than I could have done 1.

I don't do anything fancy, mostly just scaling/cropping stuff. I really dislike doing graphics work, and avoid it wherever possible.

Oooo I love that blue burst finish too - on every shape it's awesome. I have to get more versions of the transparent finishes out there, each with a different laminate top, i.e. blue burst over flame maple, blue burst over quilted maple. All the blue bursts use a swamp ash grain right now.

I see I have to fix the vintage tint shades for the fretboard and headstocks too... mismatch there.

I want one of these Petcheo bodies BAD. I was sitting here last night trying to figure out how to do it. I want TV Jones pickups tho and I don't think Warmoth offers body blanks routed for those :(  And now that I can actually see binding on necks ON the guitars, I am so getting a maple neck with black binding. Totally awesomely cool!

http://imspark.in/PIlvlG

Attachments

• tennessee-heat.jpg
    tennessee-heat.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 281
Anyone with an opinion... considering there's a long list of stuff to do yet, what do you want first? I can do more body shapes, more transparent finish options, or I can make more inlay options, or I can get the pickups built out better, or I can work on bridges...

If you let me know what you want, I will prioritize that way.

Oh and one more question... anyone who likes LPS bodies... is that LPS I created too small? I think it is. But if it's okay let me know. I may redo it, but I don't want to redo it only to find out it was okay BAH. It takes about 2.5 hours to generated all the basic images for a body.

Hey Suzanne...Thanks first off,....second...Bridges, .. there are several hardtail bridges and Tremolos that change the look of the guitar...so I vote bridges...but its all cool.  :headbang:

WOW! Great work, excellent details, fine graphics...Well done! Add a banjo head option at some point, resonators, steel?

Thanks thanks thanks! :glasses9:  I really do appreciate the feedback and I really wanna know what it is you want most. If you don't have what you want, you're not going to find the tool useful.

Thanks Eric for the comment about the graphics. I am not really a great Photoshop user, but when I realized I was going to have to make these bodies myself (and not use the photos from the Warmoth gallery) I just set my mind to do it. They had to be as photo-realistic as possible. I'm really happy with the results. A few dyes need some work but overall, I think they're about as photo-realistic as I'm gonna get.

I obsess about the fact that the chrome on all items has to match, the gold has to match. If you put a gold bridge on the body, and gold knobs, the golds HAVE TO match. I'm anal that way. When I get the bridges moving, they'll all be fabricated (not actual images) and the chrome or gold or black finishes will all match the knobs and the tuners and the switches and so on.

Okay so we have a vote for bridges, one vote for bass guitars and one vote for a banjo! :)  The banjo is gonna take me to school I think ;)

LOL Girly Girl Pinkaroony... I'm not a gold hardware hater, but I'm not sure I'd put it on hot pink ha ha. I do however want a pink guitar because everyone should have at least one.

http://imspark.in/NPsHHI

Notice anything unusual about the guitar with the Honey Burst???  It's sporting some new hardware!

And we have the BIG FAT LPS style body ready to go too. I regenerated the body today to make it a lot bigger, big enough for two f-holes and then some.

Attachments

• unusual.png
    654.7 KB · Views: 288
  • lps-sonic-blue.png
    630.9 KB · Views: 293
Suzanne said:
I obsess about the fact that the chrome on all items has to match, the gold has to match. If you put a gold bridge on the body, and gold knobs, the golds HAVE TO match. I'm anal that way. When I get the bridges moving, they'll all be fabricated (not actual images) and the chrome or gold or black finishes will all match the knobs and the tuners and the switches and so on.

You're not alone. I recently put together a Tele with brass and gold hardware and wasn't happy with the variation in color tone. So, I had some brass parts made to replace some of the gold parts so as to match the major irreplaceable brass piece, but the brass on the new parts was of various pedigree.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so depending on the proportions of each metal, the color will change slightly. It's usually not obvious - everybody knows what brass looks like, right? But, put several pieces next to each other with different alloy ratios and you can see it quite easily.

So, I mixed and matched in such a way as to minimize impact, and it worked out well in the end. The nice part about it is you can't wear the color of off brass, where wearing off gold plating is surprisingly easy, so if I do it again, I'll just be sure to specify an alloy so everything matches.

Back