You're invited to play: Guitar Designer Tool

I think this situation I have here isn't infringing. I'm not building or selling their intellectual property and if I were (like Warmoth) I'd license the stuff. I am representing it their product however. I wanna make sure I do this right. I think everyone wins here when end consumers can see and work with the representation in this way. We're going to be far more likely to buy the product when we can see it this way.

Wading into this. I'm sure there will be more to learn. Will take any and all help :)

Gee thanks alot  :doh: 

Just what I need to help cure my GAS  :icon_biggrin:

Nice work  :icon_thumright:

I know... sorry!!!  :evil4:  I knew it was going to be one of those evil, now I have to build this and this and this kind of deal. You can rest knowing I am suffering as well ha ha.

I have added the other headstocks: Strat® Tele® CBS Strat® Arrowhead (for the Muisclander) Warmoth Warhead, Jackson, KWS, Explorer, V and LP. See if that doesn't make things more interesting  :hello2:

I'm seeing a bug with these new headstocks however... when switching to a new headstock, the tuners and strings disappear. Just hit the submit button to make them reappear til I get that fixed.

This weekend I'm going to be adding some more body styles for variety. I really want a fat LPS or Gretch style body out there. I won't get to pickguards for those however. I will also be working on the strings (too light) and frets (too thin) and more pickups options. Vintage tuners are on my list and more knob options too. I'll also be working on a longer-term task to get more clear finished bodies in the line-up... clear finished as in those with very cool laminate tops like Canary or Black Korina or burled woods. Then I'll create various burst types you can apply over them if you so choose.

Big list - off to work!

Attachments

• strat-sea-foam.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 334
  • minnocky-red-flake.png
    684.1 KB · Views: 319
  • petcheo-au-natural.png
    670.4 KB · Views: 337
http://imspark.in/N8uVqV

Pretend it's a 7/8 guitar with 24frets poplar body with koa top mahogany neck pauferro board gold frets and hardware. Duncan ahb-2 active pickup. My dream guitar for now. I don't know how to get the picture on the forum?

Right now the easiest way to get an image of your configuration is by using a browser extension called Awesome Screenshot.

http://awesomescreenshot.com

That will put a button on your browser button bar that will let you take a screenshot and save the image. From there you can attach images to your posts here in the forum. However, your short link worked just fine too :)

One of the things I really want to get done (sooner than later) is to expand the pickup imagery to cover more of the styles/types you can get. That goes for bridges too. Watch for those. A little each day gets me there.

LOL all those are awesome you guys!!  :kewlpics:  And thanks Bagman :)

It's always interesting to see just how many different ways you can configure the same exact body. When I get the imagery a tad better and expand the options even more, this thing will be totally fun, and useful.

Working on more realistic strings right now... almost done with that.

you should make designs similar to the warmoth ones but not quite.........

Then you won't get in trouble! :icon_biggrin:

Well I don't want to get in trouble with anyone so I will get the tradmark and copyright notices out there tonight. It's my hope that "inclusion" in this thing increases sales for those things that are "included". And I am really hoping to see people ask for stuff... like, "here's a drawing of a headstock I did, will you include it?" or "can you include this body design I did?" or.... whatever... If we can see things, we're inclined to make them real. I would love to eventually see someone cut one of these designs out of a body blank and make a real guitar out of it.

I seriously want a Petcheo body... for real! I just have no idea how I can do that without the machinery. Someone out there could do it tho and I would definitely feature that person and support sales of that service should anyone choose to do so ;)

The Guitar Designer Tool is great. You should offer different fret numbers and scale length like 7/8 guitar so we can see what it would look like with a strat or telecaster with 24 frets also maybe baritone scale :cool01: Maybe someday do a bass guitar version :toothy10:

Indeed. I plan to add bass guitars.

7/8 Scale: I'm not sure you'd be able to visually tell the difference between a full-scale and a 7/8 body... oh you mean in relation to the neck don't you... hum... That would add a SIGNIFICANT amount of work because there are about 2500 images necessary just to provide one body option. Adding a 7/8 version almost doubles that number if you want pickguards to go with it. Ugh.

For the frets... yes, that's do-able. I just need to have a second set of inlay images for the 24 fret option. Technically I'm not sure if the neck I currently have is extremely accurate as far as scale. It was based off a Warmoth Strat neck that I shrunk in Photoshop. I was just about to redo the frets so I'll see if I can't whip up a 24 fret option here too.

Stand by ;)

The 24 fret option forces you to move the neck pickup in many cases. You may need to have some sort of relational test for pickup options vs. neck options and flag an error to force a reconfiguration or something.

Just to confirm... these 24 fret necks aren't any longer right? Same Strat scale... they just have an extension at the base for the extra two frets? Are the existing 22 squished tighter in any way? I'm assuming no because that would mess up the intonation (there are limits to my guitar nerdiness ;)

This may be tricky because the pickup images sit in fixed positions so if we're extending the base of the neck, we could run into pickup trim rings for the humbuckers. I think the single-coils will be fine, or any pickup without a trim ring. Let me take a look at this, but if someone can educate me on the way the 24 fret deal works, that'd be great  :icon_scratch:

Okay yeah that's what I thought Cagey... we *may* be okay as is, but I'll know in a couple minutes.

Suzanne said:
Just to confirm... these 24 fret necks aren't any longer right? Same Strat scale... they just have an extension at the base for the extra two frets? Are the existing 22 squished tighter in any way? I'm assuming no because that would mess up the intonation (there are limits to my guitar nerdiness ;)

Yes, they are longer. It's the same scale, but the fretboard has an extension to hold the extra frets - you can't squish more frets into the same space.

Okay... so I'm going to have to work this one out a bit. I think I'm going to need a whole second set of pickup images, repositioned to do this. A neck extension is going to butt into the existing pickup zone. I thought I had more space, but I don't. You can see in the image, where the neck zone ends and the three pickup zones are underneath it.

It's on the list. I'll redo the frets with that as well. Midnight here so I may try to hammer out an LPS style body :D

Attachments

• neckext.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 279
Back