You're invited to play: Guitar Designer Tool

Love the New bridge option, a Hipshot style bridge, very usefull.

Had to do a couple of cool layouts, very addictive:  War Paul http://imspark.in/NXr0YO

Gothic Green http://imspark.in/NXtHJT

Golden Brown http://imspark.in/NXuTgb

Cagey said:
You're not alone. I recently put together a Tele with brass and gold hardware and wasn't happy with the variation in color tone. So, I had some brass parts made to replace some of the gold parts so as to match the major irreplaceable brass piece, but the brass on the new parts was of various pedigree.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, so depending on the proportions of each metal, the color will change slightly. It's usually not obvious - everybody knows what brass looks like, right? But, put several pieces next to each other with different alloy ratios and you can see it quite easily.

So, I mixed and matched in such a way as to minimize impact, and it worked out well in the end. The nice part about it is you can't wear the color of off brass, where wearing off gold plating is surprisingly easy, so if I do it again, I'll just be sure to specify an alloy so everything matches.

Wow now that's a man after my own heart LOL. I'm totally picky that way too. If there's anything that catches my eye the wrong way, I won't stop fixating on it. I regenerated the gold knobs last night because I'm warming up the gold hardware across the board.

And Lucky13 wins a prize!! (prize to be determined sometime this year ha ha) for getting the new bridge correct! It's a Hipshot (or did you cheat and read the news item on the website???)  :laughing7:

Awesome configs! These things are actually starting to look like real guitars.

When I recreated the strings - making them more realistic, I didn't realize that now I will have to flip those too when you do a reverse headstock or a lefty guitar. Don't look too closely there at the strings when you do either of those ;)

As fender is the only acceptable guitar in the world, this is the only logical choice.  :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

http://imspark.in/QjbDt7 

Forever yours,
Captain Boring.

Suzanne said:
When I recreated the strings - making them more realistic, I didn't realize that now I will have to flip those too when you do a reverse headstock or a lefty guitar. Don't look too closely there at the strings when you do either of those ;)
Lefty reverse... :icon_biggrin:

Oh yes I did...
http://imspark.in/Qjf2bw

I just found out Warmoth will do custom body shapes on a request/approval basis  :eek:

I AM SO HAVING A PETCHEO GUITAR MADE - FOR REAL!! How cool would that be if this configurator tool, and all the community-inspired body designs, were available at Warmoth??? I know I know... not even likely, but what if... what if, when people see it's possible to design it, that maybe they could actually BUILD IT? Isn't that the point?

I need to contact the Warmoth people and see if they can see the same potential. This could change the whole way we see guitars and acquire them.

Suzanne said:
I just found out Warmoth will do custom body shapes on a request/approval basis  :eek:

I AM SO HAVING A PETCHEO GUITAR MADE - FOR REAL!! How cool would that be if this configurator tool, and all the community-inspired body designs, were available at Warmoth??? I know I know... not even likely, but what if... what if, when people see it's possible to design it, that maybe they could actually BUILD IT? Isn't that the point?

I need to contact the Warmoth people and see if they can see the same potential. This could change the whole way we see guitars and acquire them.

Hey Suzanne with Warmoth you can build an amazing guitar, and most importantly, you can be sure that the work is of the highest caliber and by one of the most reliable and highly respected guitar neck and body building companies in the world, so dont ever count your Idea's out until you've contacted them personally for sure.

Second, I wish you the best with your virtual guitar builder its alot of fun and a very usefull tool for anyone with design issues and questions as far as cosmetics are concerned, you should know that there is some competition in that market so I am including the link to one alot of guys already use on here as you might find some of their Ideas usefull for your sight.

http://www.yajimastringworks.com/tct/yswtct-kisekae-e.asp

Totally know... I have a Warmoth LP (the one with the Strat headstock ;) and I will never buy an assembly line guitar ever again after playing it. It gets the OMG.

That other guitar builder site is using Flash. I was wondering how he was dynamically generating paint bursts in layers ha! In some ways that's ideal because you can pick the exact color. In other ways, it's not ideal. It gives you the impression that what you pick could actually be painted and in most cases, that won't be true.

When I create a body finish, I'm creating it to match exactly what you see on Warmoth's site so if you do a Mary Kay White config, it's going to look like a Mary Kay body at Warmoth. That's not to say their imagery matches the final outcome, but at least I match what they're pitching. The other thing is that the way I'm doing it actually blends the colors over wood grain correctly. You can't do that on the fly using opacity. Not that it ultimately matters too much. A "fairly good" configurator is good enough to get the general gist of what you want. I'm hoping to wrap a bit more fun and community around mine, but also I'd like to work with parts manufacturers and companies like Warmoth that can help you make it real. Everyone wins (and has fun doing it)  :eek:ccasion14:

very cool and a wonderfull pitch for sure, I have no doubt you'll get the support from guys around here as far as comunity and all, since you mentioned parts manufacturers Im including links to two of my favorites.

there are alot more; some cheaper, some more custom but these two can usually cover anything that Warmoth dosnt and they're both mega parts suppliers and are dependable.

http://www.allparts.com/

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitar_index.htm

Ah thanks for the lead on the second link there... hadn't been to their site yet! More good stuff.

I think It would be cool to have the bodies warmoth makes. The necks are great, but jazzmaster body styles would be especially appreciated… same with the jmaster trem…

I would really like it if I could have the standard shape Strat pickguard.

Also I'd like it if I could layer some colours, even if it came out as something Warmoth couldn't do. For instance, I wanted to make a red to black burst over Swamp Ash, but couldn't, because the only trans red is over quilt maple.

Jumble Jumble said:
I would really like it if I could have the standard shape Strat pickguard.

Also I'd like it if I could layer some colours, even if it came out as something Warmoth couldn't do. For instance, I wanted to make a red to black burst over Swamp Ash, but couldn't, because the only trans red is over quilt maple.

Jumble did you try the Gloss Black body and then put a red burst overlay on it? You *can* layer colors. Look for the OVERLAY option in the Body section. Right now I only have an edge burst and flames, but I'll add more later.

Sorry guys I didn't have time for more features this weekend. For some reason I have been swamped with development work and I'm a little buried in client work at the moment BAH.

I really like the Petcheo, and hope that Warmoth might start offering it as a standard body shape, and occasionally the pickguards don't load right.

Otherwise  :rock-on:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 10.59.17 AM.png
    442 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 10.40.30 AM.png
    481.2 KB · Views: 326
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 11.17.27 AM.png
    506.2 KB · Views: 332
Back