Your thoughts on Tuners

TBurst Std

Hello all. The Vortex neck for my VIP is away for some "service"

Attached is a pic of it with some tuners I have currently (TonePro Kluson lockings). They are top lockers.

What say you? Use them or not? Thinking they look a bit top heavy LOL.

If I don't use them, I will use Hipshot open geared 3x3 with similar colored and shaped buttons.

PS: I have the non-locking version of the TonePro Klusons on another guitar and they are great (alas no longer made).

Attachments

• headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 327
I've not seen those before. Hipshots I know and really like. You can always just use these and just not worry about any appearance considerations. They don't look too 'anything' to me.

To my way of thinking, any locker is an improvement over the standard friction-reliant units. I have no experience with what you're showing above. I do know that the differences in weight between tuners is slight. Even the cheapie beer can Klusons weigh roughly the same as a good set of Schaller lockers, even though the Schallers look pretty substantial due to material differences.

Hedious? No. Different? Yes, but only because I'm used to conventional looking ones.

If you're not in love with them, you could sell them or save them for a time when you'll have the right guitar to put them on. Then get some Hipshots. :icon_biggrin:

Hipshot offers an assortment of aftermarket tuning buttons.  The plastic and industrial buttons are super light.  Have a look at the hipshot website. 

FWIW, if weight isn't a concern, I go generally go with the great quality Schallers made in Germany. They are significantly heavier though than most. I do have the Hipshots on a couple axes- no issues and great tunas. For traditional looks and light weight in an Fender 6 inline , the Gotoh Fender style tuning gears made in Japan  lockers are superb.
I have also have a set of the expensive and superb 21:1, I think,  new tech  Gotoh 3 on a side  locking tuners  on my Gibson type VIP, and they are expensive, but fantastic .
I do have sets of Sperzels on one or two guitars; did have issues with the inside pin stripping, and they require special mounting technique, but overall I am pleased with them.
I don't think Kluson rates with the best at this time, but not certain.
I've heard Grover still makes excellent Les Paul tuners , not sure.

I wasn’t keen on how they look either.  The top locking knob is bigger than I thought they were. 
Some open geared Hipshot’s will be ordered.

Back