Your First Time

Lucky #7

Buying of course. 

How much time did you spend on this forum looking at other people's guitars while jonesing for yours to arrive? 

It doesn't help that Gregg's most recent build is the same body style and finish as mine with the exception that mine has a cream binding instead of masked.

This forum is what has kept me relatively sane while waiting for my order to arrive. Seeing the awesome guitars here has really helped to reassure me that mine is going to kick ass! Though it just feeds the addiction which is why I'm now planning 2 more guitars before the first has even gotten here yet. I maybe have to block this and the Warmoth site in the future. ;)

Yea.. I pretty much hate this site now.. It's putting me in debt!!!!!

But it did keep me sane while waiting for my tele to come in.

I was reading everything on this forum for about 3-4 months before I made my first order.

I have a Warmoth catalog from 1995 and I was aware of the company for a long time from their ads in the guitar magazines.

In the late 90's I tested many W strats, all with Van Zandt pickups/Mann Made tremolos made by a local luthier. These were the best strats I have ever played and I found the Fender tone I was looking for. When I ordered the body (of my avatar) it was in the showcase for more than 6 months and I was checking it many times/week until I decided to buy it. It was a non turning back decision because after the body I wanted a neck, etc.
The project lasted 5 months, in June 2007 I had my first Warmoth at home. The guitar turned out exactly what I was hoping for and hooked me to the clean single coil sound, fatback shape, unfinished necks and SS frets. Next week I'm waiting for my luthier to assemble my second W :icon_thumright:

I think when I ordered that body the forum did not exist, only the older forum existed. For me Warmoth is a dream come true. They have quality, consistency and most of the options that I want. I love custom guitars as I'm not a vintage freak, I'm a do it my way freak... :eek:ccasion14:

Kostas, that was a great read thanks. And I imagine that a body that you look at for a long time, wanting to buy it, then finnaly doing so is a real personal score for you, or anyone. You must have become very aquainted and familiar with that body in 6 months, then realized it was meant to be yours.

I also bought my first 4 warmoths before the forum, as much as I like my choices, they would have been diferent had this forum existed before.

I didn't know what black korina was, or spalted maple, or many other cool woods and finnishes, I didn't know recessed floyd rose was a floating trem ( that's what I got, and I'd rather have my floyd resting on the body)

But I will have many more Warmoth builds, many inspired by this forum. My house will be paid off soon, and I'm gonna start competing with Jackthehack for the most W builds competition

Hopefully at some point I will be able to order a second.  I sold two Les Pauls to fund my first build which will hopefully be in the mail soon.  It's a showcase body and neck with the neck getting a satin finish before it goes into the mail.  I know it is already fretted, but I have no idea how long it takes to go from there to getting finished.  My wife doesn't have any comprehension on the subject and can't understand why I'm so excited and anxious for it to get here.  It probably doesn't help that by Tuesday I will have every piece needed for the build minus the pots, switches, and pup rings, which my luthier is going to take care of.  I can't wait.  But as my grandfather is so fond of telling me, I bet I will.

I can't remember the first time I thought about building a guitar from Warmoth parts (but I do know it was a long time ago).  I really considered it in 2002 (Stationed in Korea) and again in 2004 (Deployed to Qatar), but just couldn't make the plunge.  Finally in Jan of this year (this time deployed to Afghanistan) I was drooling over the LPs in the showcase and stumbled across this forum.  Getting the information, both from past posts and from questions pushed me over the edge and after 2 months I finally ordered all the pieces/parts required.

My son loves the body I got from the showcase and he really wants a LP (he has been playing for about 8 months now and really enjoys it).  He is a lefty so his options are limited when choosing a guitar.  If the quality on my LP is what I expect it to be (haven't seen it yet) then we will be doing a custom order for him shortly after I finish mine.

Common thread here seems to be, everytime I am away from the wife and kids for extended periods of time, I look to spend loads of money on guitars!  The wife is beginning to catch on to this trend and has decided it is not good for our bank account when I deploy!

Bill

I don't believe this forum existed when I bought mine. But like Kostas, I had been aware of Warmoth for many years leading up to the time I bought my first one.  A VW, I had had my EVH/EB for sometime and saw that W was offering a copy is when i decided to build mine. I had to see how thiers compaired to the real thing.  And the one I bought stayed in the showcase, which actually had a different name back then, but i watched it for quite some time before I bought it. Actually only bought one complete guitar, but i have purchased several necks for other guitars. I still have the original pic from when I first saw it......
2374512167_78108c2775.jpg

I forgot to mention that my first Warmoth was my star shaped guitar that I got at an authorized dealer (back when they still did that) in 1989. Though it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, there's nothing wrong with the quality of it. I just mistakenly got a star shape in basswood and left it unfinished. It was always so neck heavy that I never liked playing it standing up, though I did anyway because it was my only guitar at the time. It still sounds really good, but the body will be going bye bye next year for sure. Replacing it with a trans-green swamp ash explorer body.

A couple of years ago, before this forum, I found the Warmoth site when I was looking for a left hand P Bass neck. I found one in the showcase and bought it pretty much straight away. The quality was great, a "low end" plain maple/rosewood item. I finished it myself and caught the bug.
I don't want to scare anybody but since catching that bug I have built 15 complete guitars and basses and have another body and neck on order.  :help:

My first (long gone) was back before W had a finishing department. Alder Strat body that must have weighed 14 pounds, sent it to Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ to be finished in Fiesta Red. I refuse to admit what I traded that guitar for. Trust me, you would be embarassed FOR me.

RLW said:
My first (long gone) was back before W had a finishing department. Alder Strat body that must have weighed 14 pounds, sent it to Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ to be finished in Fiesta Red. I refuse to admit what I traded that guitar for. Trust me, you would be embarassed FOR me.

A banjo?  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

willyk said:
RLW said:

A banjo?  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You have no idea, but I have been laughing myself sick for the past 15 minutes. Yes, I traded my first Warmoth for my beloved Maybell Slingerland Banjo Uke.

DSCN1319.jpg

I remember now, the "Showcase" was called the "Thrift Shop"....wheeeeeeeeew, I've been trying to remember what that was all dayyyyyyyyy....

Well, when I bought my telecaster body this forum didn't exist...
But I've not looked very much to the old board... I saw some sites/people that were supposed to say bad things saying that they're good, so I though: "if a guy who is your competidor in the market says that you're "good" means that you should be VERY good"...
Soon the body is probably going to Jack... I had no time to send to him, as I had some busy time on work and I was always like "should I really do it??  :sad:"... but probably is going...

i looked at stuff on the showcase and calculated what i wanted for about a year before i finally ordered.  i was mainly hoping that something would show up on the showcase that i really really wanted but i figured i'd just go ahead and order.  its been eight months since and i still don't have it completely built..waiting on my floyd which should be here tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Back