Yet another 12 string bridge question

DesmoDog

Alrighty then, so the only way I can justify a new build to myself anytime soon is to satisfy my lust for a 12 string. As has often been mentioned here, the only 12 strong bridge Warmoth offers is one they never route for in the showcase.

However... through my ace detective work I've found the Gotoh 12 strong TOM/STP set up, which comparing drawings looks like a dimensional equal to the 6 string TOM/STP. Granted with this set up you don't have seperate settings for intonation or string height on the octave strings... but it opens up a lot of possibilities in the showcase.

So where's the flaw in my plan? Am I missing something on the TOM/STP front? Teles don't all have seperate settings for intonation so it's not unheard of... but why the heck doesn't Warmoth carry that bridge set up if it's as simple as it looks?

And as long as I'm rambling, hows about humbucker routes for bridge and tail with no middle pup?

Can't comment on the TOM/12, but my old Rick 12's did not have separate saddles either. It's noticeable on the lower strings.  Depending on your ear, you'll either not mind it or it will drive you freaking crazy.  I was in the middle.

So.. if I build one up like this, and the bridge drives me nuts... I can use it as an excuse to do yet another build...    :laughing7:

"Well gee honey, I had to order a custom body to make the 12 string neck work right, and it just didn't seem right to have this old body sitting around so I also ordered a six string neck and..."

Yeah, that could work.    :icon_biggrin:

http://www.guitarheads.net/products/bridges/12stoptune.html
^^doesn't look too bad.

Is the Gotoh 12 string bridge compatible with the route for the hardtail strat bridge? I have a Yamaha 12string strat w/ that bridge, and it's lovely.

No, the Gotoh 12 string bridge requires oddly placed string through holes.
Another possibility is to take a standard hardtail bridge, or a tele bridge with 6 saddles like the Gotoh one, drill top-mount holes in it, and put the 12-string saddles from the Gotoh 12 string bridge on it. Some guys at TDPRI did that for some 12 string teles, it looked like a great solution.

You could also go for a 10-string, leaving the octave strings off of the bass side E and A. Would solve most of the intonation issue as well as making it easier to play melody lines on the bass strings.

tfarny said:
No, the Gotoh 12 string bridge requires oddly placed string through holes.
Another possibility is to take a standard hardtail bridge, or a tele bridge with 6 saddles like the Gotoh one, drill top-mount holes in it, and put the 12-string saddles from the Gotoh 12 string bridge on it. Some guys at TDPRI did that for some 12 string teles, it looked like a great solution.

Hmmm - interesting!  I bet that would work!

It does, I did it myself but ended up not liking the neck-heavy nature of the 12 string neck on the Tele body, so the saddles went back on the original bridge.  The only issue that *might* have popped up was the strings catching on the string-through holes, since the Gotoh ones are offset.  I didn't play it enough to notice a difference, but it was sorta difficult to string.

-Mark

Okay, how about - will Warmoth drill just the mounting holes (assuming they match) and leave the string holes off? Would that work?

DesmoDog said:
Alrighty then, so the only way I can justify a new build to myself anytime soon is to satisfy my lust for a 12 string. As has often been mentioned here, the only 12 strong bridge Warmoth offers is one they never route for in the showcase.

However... through my ace detective work I've found the Gotoh 12 strong TOM/STP set up, which comparing drawings looks like a dimensional equal to the 6 string TOM/STP. Granted with this set up you don't have seperate settings for intonation or string height on the octave strings... but it opens up a lot of possibilities in the showcase.

So where's the flaw in my plan? Am I missing something on the TOM/STP front? Teles don't all have seperate settings for intonation so it's not unheard of... but why the heck doesn't Warmoth carry that bridge set up if it's as simple as it looks?

And as long as I'm rambling, hows about humbucker routes for bridge and tail with no middle pup?
Schaller has one that's got individual saddles...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schaller-Germany-CHROME-12-String-Bridge-NOS-/370370457820?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item563bccb0dc

DangerousR6 said:
Schaller has one that's got individual saddles...

Interesting, though it says the spacing is 2 7/8" which comes out to 73mm..  and the spacing on the TOM is 74mm according to Warmoth's diagrams.

I'm guessing the difference is rounding error and it'd fit a TOM spacing? Hmm, this 12 string thing is looking more better all the time. Now I just need to pay off my first build so I can start buying more parts!  :toothy10:

I was looking at that Schaller part, and also looking into getting a compensated 12-string nut made. Might be a DIY adventure.

Back