WTF?

exalted

Received this today.

A few thoughts.

1) If this is indeed Candy Tangerine, it sure is dark. I would call it 'light rust'. It's also sparkly...Candy Tangerine isn't sparkly in the pictures on the website. The website also makes it seem bright. The in-person color of the guitar is a bit darker than the second picture.

2) I ordered a racing stripe, not a competition stripe. The invoice says "racing stripe". I got a competition stripe.

3) There are artifacts all over the body. Is this normal with Warmoth finishes? Tiny specs all over the body. 40 to 50 of them. Definitely not part of the intended finish. See third picture, on either side of the flash. They look like pieces of pigment...not black, but definitely darker than the rest.

4) A penny-sized section of bubbles under the finish on the back of the guitar. See fourth picture. Right in the middle.

I'm sort of in shock right now.

Well, there is always the 10 days guarantee... And you might report out the problems to Rob Rounds at Warmoth, he takes care of the devolutions and claims...

Hope you can find a solution with them  :icon_thumright:

NonsenseTele said:

Me too. Thanks for the advice!

I don't entirely dislike the guitar...but it's not perfect, and I'm not in love with it.  :dontknow: :sad:

NonsenseTele said:
+1  :icon_thumright:

I can answer the candy question. Candy finishes generally have a metallic flake base coat. 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5753228944483789742

I guess I can kind of see it, but it looks much more subtle in that video. On this body, it really stands out; it looks as sparkly as my silver flake Jazzmaster.

Also, I wish it were that light! That looks like a piece of candy (hence the name, right?  :icon_jokercolor: ) This one looks like the inside of a ruby red grapefruit.

I think it looks pretty sweet myself.... :icon_thumright:

Flat Black pick guard and black hardware would be badass... :headbang1:

Maybe. The wife keeps telling me I should go the chrome route...I'm not sure either way. But at any rate, I think it's just a little on the beefy side for the competition stripe...if it were a Mustang, I would be in love with it.

Plus the specks I mentioned are hard to overlook, even though they're hard to photograph.

Its not the greatest resolution, but it was apparently just another sunny day at Warmoth.   Like this one here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7895854721563345170

Check it out outdoors!

Yeah, that one is totally apparent. Is that one of their flake finishes? Or a candy one?

Don't know if its still offered but the caption called it "rainbow sparkle".  Looks more like a flake finish though

It's certainly out there...I don't know if I'd be man enough for that one. :laughing11:

I'm okay with the color...it's just not what I was expecting. The other stuff is more upsetting. Oh well...world keeps on turnin'.  :guitarplayer2:

Racing vs. competition stripe is obviously a big difference.  Better talk to W about that.  If they offer you a replacement get a different color! :)

the thing with the stripes: big mistake. the color, well, thats always a bit difficult, unfortunetely. the other things, well, I don't see them, but that doesnt mean they're not THERE. if its not a 'smooth' finish, meaning, you can feel the bumps, I'd be upset. but if its an integral part of the finish, I wouldn't make a fuss about it.

My gold top paint job has a few little specks on it, like some dirt speck or something got on there before for the clear coat - but it's only a few tiny spots. If it were as many as exaulted describes I'd be unhappy with it. It sucks when you get something less than expected. I had a huge problem with the binding on my neck, that caused a physical problem with the guitar. Luckily it was fixable. Sometimes stuff slips out that should get stopped.

Whoa! Looks like my post was deleted! I was just pointing out that the options available to each customer seem to vary based on which sales guy you talk to. It's the truth. Calm down, moderator!

Candy Tangerine is color that stays really consistant as one who sees it a lot of those painted bodies over a long stretch of time. Do call Rob Rounds at Warmoth about your order if there are some things you are unhappy about.

Candy colors are inherently very difficult to do. It is more common to see the little paint specs you are mentioning than not to see them in body painted a candy color. Gold Top Gold is very difficult too and does often have the same specs.

At any rate, Rob is your man at Warmoth. Thanks.

Back