WTF?

I can't get past the part where your complaining about the stripe, Shame on you for ordering a racing stripe, stripes belong on race cars

I just finished a Candy Tangerine Tequilla Burst that Warmoth finished.
I'm actually surprised they get the finishes as good as they do. Mine had a couple of spots, but was a very impressive job overall.
I painted cars for about 20 years and these are extremely difficult finishes, especially when you have someone holding your work up to their face to inspect it.
Candy, at least on cars which I believe is the same as the guitars is a metallic sprayed as a base then a transparent color sprayed over the top then cleared so it can be polished.
Any dirt as well as an imperfection in the wood, i.e. grain, etc., will actually be magnified as the layers and process is done. That means a speck of dirt in the metallic is magnified into the transparent then magnified again in the clear.
I have sprayed Candy colors on cars where a simple sputter of the gun or a missed scratch can ruin a weeks work.

My hat is off to Warmoth in the quality of their finishes.

Alfang said:
I can't get past the part where your complaining about the stripe, Shame on you for ordering a racing stripe, stripes belong on race cars

I figure it will make me play faster. It's called a racing stripe for a reason.  :party07:

In all seriousness, though, it's just something different and I like the look of it. It's not something everyone else is doing. Same basic reason EVH pinstriped his guitar.  :icon_thumright:
I'm not a big fan of tradition.

Mark W said:
I just finished a Candy Tangerine Tequilla Burst that Warmoth finished.
I'm actually surprised they get the finishes as good as they do. Mine had a couple of spots, but was a very impressive job overall.
I painted cars for about 20 years and these are extremely difficult finishes, especially when you have someone holding your work up to their face to inspect it.
Candy, at least on cars which I believe is the same as the guitars is a metallic sprayed as a base then a transparent color sprayed over the top then cleared so it can be polished.
Any dirt as well as an imperfection in the wood, i.e. grain, etc., will actually be magnified as the layers and process is done. That means a speck of dirt in the metallic is magnified into the transparent then magnified again in the clear.
I have sprayed Candy colors on cars where a simple sputter of the gun or a missed scratch can ruin a weeks work.

My hat is off to Warmoth in the quality of their finishes.

That's some interesting info. I (now) understand the specks are inherent in the candy finishes, so I''m thinking about going either with a darker one, or a completely different type of finish.

exalted said:
That's some interesting info. I (now) understand the specks are inherent in the candy finishes, so I''m thinking about going either with a darker one, or a completely different type of finish.

Hm...candy blue with a white stripe? That would look pretty sharp.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking.  :glasses9:

Rob at Warmoth said they might refinish it, in which case, I think that's what I'll ask them to do, or they might re-fabricate it, in which case I was thinking about asking them if I could go with a Firebird, since I already bought a Warmoth Jazzmaster second hand while waiting for this one. If I did get a Firebird, I was thinking a blue burst mahogany, heavy on the black. No lam top, because I would want the raised-center mod.

exalted said:
That's actually exactly what I was thinking.  :glasses9:

Rob at Warmoth said they might refinish it, in which case, I think that's what I'll ask them to do, or they might re-fabricate it, in which case I was thinking about asking them if I could go with a Firebird, since I already bought a Warmoth Jazzmaster second hand while waiting for this one. If I did get a Firebird, I was thinking a blue burst mahogany, heavy on the black. No lam top, because I would want the raised-center mod.

Oh that would be seriously killer!  I don't think there are any Firebirds on the board yet either.  So you would be the first to build one here.

exalted said:
I figure it will make me play faster. It's called a racing stripe for a reason.  :party07:

So I guess a competition stripe makes you play better?

Luke said:
This thing is down to 175 in the screaming deals exalted.. get to it man!

I wish I could!

We were told Tuesday that our landlords are being foreclosed on. I was trying to save money before, but now I desperately need as much as possible to move on minimal notice.  :sad1:

Aaaaaand, just like that, my wife gets laid off.

It's all yours, Mayfly.  :guitaristgif:

mayfly said:
exalted said:
Aaaaaand, just like that, my wife gets laid off.

It's all yours, Mayfly.  :guitaristgif:

eeeep  :sad:

Haha

My thoughts exactly. I actually posted a heads up on a left-handed guitar forum a few weeks ago...no biters, obviously. I guess not everyone can be as classy as we are.

Whoo!

And two hours later, I get my layoff notice. Different company, different industry, different county. This is the best Monday ever.

Holy Crap! sorry to hear that... bad news usually comes in 3's
I hope you find other work real soon..

Back