Woohoo...I pulled the trigger!

George555

I finally pulled the trigger last night.  I've been researching this guitar build for a long time now (not counting back in high school looking through the B&W Warmoth catalog).  It's funny how you picture the finished guitar in your mind, but then you start reading and listening to learn that it may not work so well.  As in my post in the pickup section, I mentioned I originally wanted H-S-H with an acoustic bridge(the Graph Tech system for example) so I could get acoustic sounds, Les Paul sounds, and Strat sounds.  I finally decided screw it....why not make a kick butt Strat.  I found a body I like last week but didn't know all the neck details yet.  Finally last night I finished the research and decided to go for it.

I found a nice deep green flake, maple neck with Pau Ferro fretboard, CBS headstock(always loved that headstock), gold hardware, Planetwave tuners, Wilkinson tremelo.  Now I just have to take care of all of the electronics.  I'm leaning towards the Kinman Blues with the prewired harness.  I'm up for suggestions and input though.  This is where I've done A LOT of research about wood, fret size, parts, finish(when I thought I would finish it myself, pickups, and anything else related to this stuff.

Thank you all very much for the information you have posted!  I have to go get a digital camera now so I can have pictures of the process to update everyone.  I'm excited!  :cool01:

Never tried the Kinman's, his website and spiel turn me off so much I'd never try his products; see "Selling It To Guitarist" thread.

If you're looking for something that would fulfill the promise of his bullshit sales verbiage:

The aged vintage tone (less aggression) of this set is great for crunchy blues solos, full on distortion or clean soft, delicate passages in jazz since the attack and trebles have slightly less prominence than my Traditional or Woodstock sets. The Blues set has thicker tone so when overdriven gives creamy distortion without mud. Positions 2 and 4 sounds are acceptable in comparison to stock single coils. Under heavy attack this set break into crunch easily which makes it great for Blues. This is not the most powerful set I make, in fact it has the same output as the NEW Traditional Mk-II set, but it just seems to hit the spot with so many modern Blues players, making it one of my most popular products.

...you can get that sound  by picking up a set of Fender Custom Shop Fat 50's or SRV Texas Specials. For that sound + some more output/balls, a Rio Grande Dual Calibrated set. Either one will run half  of what the Kinman's cost.

I have the Kinman Blues on my Warmoth strat and I like em. I have also played with the Hank Marvins, exceptional pickups. Also recommend Suhr and Lollars. Lollar has lots of strat pickups. He will answer to your calls/emails personally and he will tell you what you need. He can tailor his pickups to your request also.

George555 said:
I finally pulled the trigger last night.  I've been researching this guitar build for a long time now (not counting back in high school looking through the B&W Warmoth catalog).  It's funny how you picture the finished guitar in your mind, but then you start reading and listening to learn that it may not work so well. I finally decided screw it....why not make a kick butt Strat.  I found a body I like last week but didn't know all the neck details yet.  Finally last night I finished the research and decided to go for it.

Same here, but i was going for a LP instead of a strat, ended up getting a soloist though. I spent like 2 months thinking about a guitar, then i found warmoth, then another 2 months researching and saving money, then i just said, nope too much and went for a really nice soloist body!

If the wiring is a toughie for you, and you really want a pre-wired pg, this company sells prewired pgs with a variety of different pickups. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/index.cfm?SID=1&  I agree with Jack about Kinman's bla bla blah, but I've never tried them.

just a heads up about ACME - it took me 41 days to get my wired pickguard from them - and that's after I wen to PayPal to open a dispute and then suddenly the thing arrived in 3 days. They say turn around time is 5 days to ship for a wired pickguard, but I'd check out their forum first to see if you can see what the status of their work load is like at the time. If they're swamped like they always seem to be, it may take a while to get stuff from them.

Thanks for the input!  I'll check out Rio Grande and all the links.  That's one reason I didn't pull the trigger on the pickups yet.  If you get the K9 harness it's pretty pricey.  I figured I'd continued listening to sound clips, youtube clips, and reading reviews of pickups.  I've also started studying a lot about shielding.  I found this site that has one piece copper shields for pickguards (http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_shield.html). 

I've thought about doing the wiring with the help of a friend that used to work on video games and install hightech alarm systems...I figured if he can do that, he can wire a guitar.  hehe.

Thanks again!

It's not that hard to wire a guitar. In fact, instead of buying a pre-wired pickguard, spend the money on a decent sodlering iron, the Erlewine book, and the parts, you'll get a ton of use out of the Erlewine book and you will be able to wire up any guitar you want with the iron.

tfarny said:
It's not that hard to wire a guitar. In fact, instead of buying a pre-wired pickguard, spend the money on a decent sodlering iron, the Erlewine book, and the parts, you'll get a ton of use out of the Erlewine book and you will be able to wire up any guitar you want with the iron.

+1  :icon_thumright:

Yeah, the more I read....I can do the wiring with my friend's help.  But.....I swear my brain is going to explode on pickup selection!  I keep reading and listening.  There are so many options.  lol. 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
George555 said:
But.....I swear my brain is going to explode on pickup selection!  I keep reading and listening.  There are so many options.  lol. 
Everyone of them is crap too, depending on who you ask.

LOL, isn't that the truth!  No matter how good a pickup is someone will find a reason to hate it.  Go with your gut instinct!

Blue313 said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
George555 said:
But.....I swear my brain is going to explode on pickup selection!  I keep reading and listening.  There are so many options.  lol. 
Everyone of them is crap too, depending on who you ask.

LOL, isn't that the truth!  No matter how good a pickup is someone will find a reason to hate it.  Go with your gut instinct!

You both have that one right!  One of the most killer things about building a Warmoth is that I've tried pickup combos I never would have tried before.  Believe it or not, most of them have worked out killer.

Well...I made up my mind on the pickups.  I went with the Custom Shop Fat 50's!  Thanks for the recommendation Jack.  I went through ACME and got there blender set up.  Thanks Tfarny for that link!  Well...I think that's all the parts...now comes being patient.

Hi guys, my name's Morgan and I do technical support for Graph Tech's Ghost system. I just logged on to let you know that I like to support 'tinkers' who are using the Ghost system and taking it places it's never been before. You guys are riding on our leading edge!

Our Web site, www.graphtech.com has been recently reconstructed, and has more technical information about using the Ghost system, as well as links to videos and technical documents. I've worked out wiring diagrams for many configurations that aren't in the installation manual, such as Dual Jacks, Active Pickups, 18v, Concentrics, mag-to-13-pin, etc.

I'll eventually get all these diagrams on the site, but in the meantime I can e-mail them. Just contact me at morgan@graphtech.com, and I can send you the wiring diagram you need. Or if I don't have what you need in my library, I can work out a solution for your particular application. The Ghost system is surprisingly versatile, but requires knowledge of how it works, and I'm happy to provide the information you need to make your project a success.

GraphTechSupport said:
Hi guys, my name's Morgan and I do technical support for Graph Tech's Ghost system. I just logged on to let you know that I like to support 'tinkers' who are using the Ghost system and taking it places it's never been before. You guys are riding on our leading edge!

Our Web site, www.graphtech.com has been recently reconstructed, and has more technical information about using the Ghost system, as well as links to videos and technical documents. I've worked out wiring diagrams for many configurations that aren't in the installation manual, such as Dual Jacks, Active Pickups, 18v, Concentrics, mag-to-13-pin, etc.

I'll eventually get all these diagrams on the site, but in the meantime I can e-mail them. Just contact me at morgan@graphtech.com, and I can send you the wiring diagram you need. Or if I don't have what you need in my library, I can work out a solution for your particular application. The Ghost system is surprisingly versatile, but requires knowledge of how it works, and I'm happy to provide the information you need to make your project a success.
wow,its cool to get direct info and help from ghost if needed! I think this might pull some guys to get ghost-systems on their guitars!

Back