Wiring Cable question

B.W.O.T.W.

Hi!

The pieces for my first Warmoth arrived past week, and Im ready to built it. I got a question regading the wiring kit though.
It's a LPS with just one pickup, an Alnico II Bridge, with just 1 vol. I'll just use this shematic:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_1vol

Since the groundwire is already installed on the guitar and the pickup has all the cable to it, I'll just have to add the Hot and Ground out of the jack to the pot.

To do the two connections, would you use the normal or the shielded wire on the Warmoth wiring kit? I'm inclined to use the shielded one, since I don't have any other use for it. But then I stumbled on this post by Orpheo:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2175.0

""There goes a current through the wires, and they give a (little) magnetic field. when you have a shielded wire, the magnetic field (that changes like a sinus, because the signal itself is as sinus!!!) creates a current in the shielding of the telephonewire. that gives you major-hum. so, thats why I dont use shielded wire ""

So I'm kinda confused right now, what would you  do?

PS: Forgot to mention, I probably won't be shileding the control cavity, given the simple layout

1. shielded wire is supposed to minimize EMI (hum) to the cable. Orpheo, god bless him, is the only one I've ever heard say that shielding increases hum. he may be right but he's pretty much on his own I think.
2. if you don't ground the 'shield', it won't make any difference at all.
3. it won't make a very big difference no matter what you do - i'ts a humbucker, a short wire,and a simple circuit. You should no probs.
4. Please post pics of your guitar! ESPECIALLY if it's something other than a strat or telecaster. Variety is good.

tfarny is correct:  It's a short bit of wire, it's not going to make any difference.  Also, if you don't connect one end of the shield to something, it won't do anything at all.  I'd just wire it with non-shielded wire and not worry about it.

In all my experience as an engineer designing and dealing with many pieces of equipment including audio, video, data, networks and telephony, I've never heard about what Orpheo's talking about  :icon_scratch:

Thanks for the answers guys. I'd probably go with standard cable.
The project should be finished in a few days, when I can get my hands on a camera, I'll gladly pot some photos!

If you have shielded wire you may as well use it.  You only need one wire; the core is hot and the shield is ground.  This is called coaxial cable and it's very low-noise.  (All your guitar cables are coax.)

You probably won't have much noise whether you use shielded wire or not.  Good luck!  :guitarplayer2:

Back