4way question

teleme01

I have a situation with my solder skills , I may have damaged a pickup. To use the 4way, I had to cut a ground and add one. Now I have a large volume difference between the two pickups. I have another set (porter standard pickup set) and am planning to try the standard neck pickup to see if the problem is with the pickup.

My question is if I don't cut the ground on the new pickup and just run 2 wires instead of 3, will I still be able to use the neck and bridge pickups? I ask the question to prevent messing up another pickup with my solder skills.

I am asking what would happen if I wire a 4-way harness without cutting the neck ground to pickup cover, if I hook it up wrong on purpose

I am asking what would happen if I wire a 4-way harness without cutting the neck ground to pickup cover, if I hook it up wrong on purpose

The wiring then will not work as expected. It is likely to hum badly dependent on the pickup selection.

With the original pickup that has less volume, how do you know that is wired correctly in the first place?

I thought the same thing. Not enough info. What I think he is looking to do is de solder the cover ground on a Tele neck pickup in order to use a 4 way Oaks Grisby in Oder to get the series parallel option.

I am using a harness that I bought from kellingsound88 on ebay, direction was to desolder the ground to cover and add ground from cover to the 5th position on a wireless terminal. Thurst has it correct

What I am trying to do is use a pickup that I haven't altered to check to see if f I messed up the pickup t90. At this point I have a Big volume difference between the neck and bridge. The bridge is really loud and has a hum. The neck is clean yet low volume, all 4 positions work . Sorry I don't communicate more better, I am typing with my thumb and every other letter is off by a key stroke.

@teleme01 it might have been better to have kept the question in your other thread to save extra typing, as the information asked for was there. That is what I based my answer on above.

Back