Jazzmaster Wiring "issues"

RosamondEdge

Greetings,

Over the years, I have wired many guitars, but I am wiring my first Jazzmaster.
The parts I bought have two of them (fender pickups and Toneworks wiring kit), and I could use some wisdom on that, and a correct wiring diagram might go a long way too.

Thank you!

I've never used toneworks kits. Sounds like you bought it from them. My first stop would be to ask tone works. Wouldn't they include a wiring diagram? Makes no sense not to. In any event, next I'd head over to the seymour duncan site and peruse their diagrams. It's always a good idea to get diagrams, schematics and a parts list before building.

Last edited:
I've never used toneworks kits. Sounds like you bought it from them. My first stop would be to ask tone works. Wouldn't they include a wiring diagram? Makes no sense not to. In any event, next I'd head over to the seymour duncan site and peruse their diagrams. It's always a good idea to get diagrams, schematics and a parts list before building.
Cool! Thank you! I will check them out.

fender-jazzmaster-circuitry@1400x1050.jpg

The only part that made things confusing is that I am building a left-handed model, but it wires up the same way.

When it says: "ground to brass shield," what is it talking about? Is that the copper shield tape, the bridge, or is there a part I need to buy?

The back of a stock jazzmaster pickguard has (had?) a thin brass shield attached... (i think they have been aluminum in recent years)

see https://reverb.com/ca/item/35714006...master-pickguard-aluminum-shield-usa-62-62-66

There are also aftermarket copper ones (easier to solder to!) but I would probably just make due with fashioning something out of thin copper foil...
Thank you. I have wired Telecasters, Stratocasters, and many others. This is my first foray into Jazmasters. I hate sounding like a noob after working on guitars since the mid-1990s. I have this wealth of knowledge here, and people tend to be relaxed about sharing.

I've been wiring guitars since the mid-70s (including almost a decade in one of the world's best custom shops) ... and I have never wired a Jazzmaster either :) Nice project!

Back