How get coil split + bridge activation on HSS strat

Deafeye

I have a Fender Player Plus HSS Stratocaster and I want to mod it. There is a push/pull pot for tone 2 which splits the bridge humbucker. Is there any wiring diagram that activates the bridge pickup in all positions when it is split? If I try to do a one wire connection between the pot and switch it just grounds out. Here’s what I want…
When push/pull is activated:
Pos 1: Split Humbucker
Pos 2: Split Humbucker + middle
Pos 3: Split Humbucker + middle
Pos 4: Split Humbucker + middle + neck
Pos 5: Split Humbucker + neck

have you checked out the seymour duncan website? What I would do is get a freeway switch, they have diagrams on their website, they have a diagram that would get you everything you want, plus 6 or more bonus options. Look at the 5B5 diagrams

Last edited:
The only way I could see doing that would be with two switches. One push pull (for splitting) plus a second switch (could be a toggle or a second push pull) for the "bridge always on" effect. One push pull cannot achieve this as far as I'm aware.

The only way I could see doing that would be with two switches. One push pull (for splitting) plus a second switch (could be a toggle or a second push pull) for the "bridge always on" effect. One push pull cannot achieve this as far as I'm aware.
Oh ok thank you

This should get you sorted. I couldnt find a wiring diagram so I went with one that auto splits the HB in position 2. The color codes on the humbucker is for Seymour Duncan.

If you dont want to mess with any of the other wiring but just have the bridge split and be always on when you pull tone 2 then just add the two connections in orange.

Attachments

• HSS VTT Pull T2 Bridge on & split.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 8
Do you have any details of how this Player Strat is currently wired and with which switches etc.

You probably need a super switch to start off with to mod this.

The push-pull pot when activated will be sending the series link of the humbucker to ground, that is why adding a wire from there to the blade switch will be grounding everything out.

As you will need new switches in any case, it would be worth checking out in this case a Freeway switch as suggested by @Rick.

Just so it’s easier to wire. If I want the middle position then I’ll just switch it off.

It may actually turn out not to be easier to wire or work with the current switches.

It’s just a traditional 5 way. Are you saying that if I used a super switch that I would be able to just have a wire going from the pot to the blade switch? Or that I should use a different or switch?

It’s just a traditional 5 way.

Thanks for confirming. Your wiring idea will not work at all with that type of switch by running a ground wire to it.

Are you saying that if I used a super switch that I would be able to just have a wire going from the pot to the blade switch?
No, I am not saying that.

If you want to stick with the parts you have...

Do you have any details of how this Player Strat is currently wired and with which switches etc.

If it is a standard five way and the push-pull pot is DPDT, we need to know how it is currently wired exactly. Depending on the parts and existing wiring, it might be possible, but not with a ground wire. If there is a spare pole of the push-pull an additional hot wire from the humbucker lug of the selector switch and another wire from the push-pull to volume in. This is activated simultaneously with the split but independently circuit wise.

So we can confirm, please provide a diagram or pictures of the existing wiring?

Creating more flexible wiring schemes beyond a simple mod generally requires a super switch.
Or that I should use a different or switch?
First we need to determine what the existing wiring and parts are.

If you want something more flexible you mostly need a super switch to create more flexible wiring schemes. They can be used either with or without push pulls or consider a Freeway 5B5-01 which will give you 10 positions and looks like a 5 way switch, and they have various schematics available.

Last edited:
I dont understand. Guy whants split bridge on all the time. I posted that diagram above. @Deafeye please let me know if that doesn't work for you

I just looked at that, and is similar to what I was describing, just a different way of physically connecting the bridge hot wire. I missed your earlier post with the pdf attached.

Also, I had missed the word not in the sentence, "No, I am not saying that." which I have edited above, this may have created confusion due to my typo. I think I need a holiday.

Last edited:
Back