Will be doing some upgrades on my Floyd Rose.

ZGOZZ said:
Block Is in but the intonation is being a pain the bottom 2 strings. Everything else is great.
Still fine tuning it. Then I have a buddy who will try it.
:icon_thumright:
I ran into that prob with my Cherry tele, you may need to shim the nut. I had several strings that wouldn't intonate until I shimmed the nut..

DangerousR6 said:
ZGOZZ said:
Block Is in but the intonation is being a pain the bottom 2 strings. Everything else is great.
I ran into that prob with my Cherry tele, you may need to shim the nut. I had several strings that wouldn't intonate until I shimmed the nut..

What Nut? Sorry.

ZGOZZ said:
DangerousR6 said:
ZGOZZ said:

What Nut? Sorry.
Ehhh, maybe I misunderstood. Had you already had it set up and intonated before you changed the block?

DangerousR6 said:
ZGOZZ said:
DangerousR6 said:
ZGOZZ said:

What Nut? Sorry.
Ehhh, maybe I misunderstood. Had you already had it set up and intonated before you changed the block?
Yes intonation was good when the stock block was on. Put the big block on and I had to only move it a little It seems ok right now.

Damn what a difference the block made night and day..
I will be doing this upgrade a standard.

NonsenseTele said:
ZGOZZ said:
Damn what a difference the block made night and day..
I will be doing this upgrade a standard.
what? ???

The Big block  I installed it....

P1140002.jpg

DocNrock said:
DocNrock said:
I have a brass block in my Jackson.  I really didn't notice that much of a difference.  If you decide to get the aftermarket block, be forewarned about one thing:  If you get the L-shaped block, you'll need to do some routing to get the full range of the trem.

ZGOZZ, HOLD THE PHONE!!!  I was wrong. 

When I changed the block in my Jackson, I had also swapped out pickups at the same time.  This is probably why I didn't notice much of a difference (JB swapped out for a Steve's Special, which has a mid-scooped EQ).  I just finished changing strings on my white Warmoth Strat (EMGs).  I needed to blacken the trem cavity, so while the paint was drying, I decided to go ahead and install one of the brass L-blocks that I had previously ordered.  My luthier friend had done the swap on my Jackson, since it needed to be setup anyway.  There are two points I'd like to now make.

1)  NO need for additional routing for the L block in the Warmoth trem route.  I don't know what is different about the Jackson route that required additional wood removal for clearance, but it was not necessary on the Warmoth Floyd route; full range up and down.

2)  DEFINITE  increase in chunkiness and sustain, even at low volumes.  I could only imagine what this would sound like with the volume cranked (but everyone is home right now).  I don't know if you'd hear this kind of difference with thick sounding passives, but with the EMGs, which many describe as "thin," "sterile," etc., there is a notable increase in the fullness of the sound.

I hope this helps.

And FWIW, I think the only thing you'd get out of the Ti saddles is more broke.  I wouldn't even consider the Ti block.  Ti is a very strong but very light metal.  Mass is in the brass!  And mass is what one would theoretically want for this desired effect.

I'll be putting these on all my Floyds now.

Also cool to know about the Tremol-no.  I'm going to try one on an upcoming build.  The guys at the Jackson/Charvel forums rave about the Tremol-no.  Just the ease in string changing alone may make it worth it.

You just made my day.I just ordered the brass L-block for my Warmoth Strat.Thanks for the info.

I am curious about the brass block with the tremol no.  With the tremol no engaged does it help to have the extra mass there.  I don't have any evidence either way so this is really for intellectual purposes only.  Thanks in advance
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
I am curious about the brass block with the tremol no.  With the tremol no engaged does it help to have the extra mass there.  I don't have any evidence either way so this is really for intellectual purposes only.  Thanks in advance
Patrick

No problems..

OK,I got the block installed and WOW...it does make a difference.It made the guitar feel more solid and acoustically it is louder and fuller.Cleans sound really full and with some gain it made my strat sound like a GREAT Les Paul.This was the best 40-50 bucks I think you could spend for a Floyd equipped guitar.I also installed a JB(Zebra) instead of the Rio BBQ.Here is a pick of the guitar after all work was done.I will try to take some pics of the block and the shielding job I did in the daylight for those interested.

Texas023.jpg

kinda fun to see what kahler users know for a long time; heavier stuff makes up for a better sound. kahlers have more mass than a floyd, more contactpoints than a floyd, and just sound better. on my guitar, I installed a kahler, and several other stuff to direct-couple the vibration of the string. combination of mass and material I guess.

best floyd upgrade? don't get one in the first place.

Orpheo said:
kinda fun to see what kahler users know for a long time; heavier stuff makes up for a better sound. kahlers have more mass than a floyd, more contactpoints than a floyd, and just sound better. on my guitar, I installed a kahler, and several other stuff to direct-couple the vibration of the string. combination of mass and material I guess.

best floyd upgrade? don't get one in the first place.

To each his own,but this is a thread about FLOYD upgrades and not about which is better!

Do you guys record yourselves playing, with a certain amp setting and strings, with the one part, then change a part and record yourselves again? Or do you just install a new part, sit in front of your amp and say "Yeah that's great!" It seems after you'd spent the money, you'd be strongly inclined to like the new part.... A/B testing is sorely lacking in this industry. A "noticeable" difference?  :icon_scratch:

stubhead said:
Do you guys record yourselves playing, with a certain amp setting and strings, with the one part, then change a part and record yourselves again? Or do you just install a new part, sit in front of your amp and say "Yeah that's great!" It seems after you'd spent the money, you'd be strongly inclined to like the new part.... A/B testing is sorely lacking in this industry. A "noticeable" difference?  :icon_scratch:

Sir,this brass block is noticed and soon as you hit the first string.But yes,I am a tweaker and a tone junkie,so I go to great great extremes with my gear.

Getting ready to order one for my Warmoth carved top soloist that's currently being built with the Warmoth sold OFR. Just wanted to confirm the 37mm is the one to get?

If it is a recessed Floyd, then yes, 37 mm is the way to go with Warmoth bodies.  However, if you have a recessed trem cover plate, you may need a 32 mm.

Back