Will be doing some upgrades on my Floyd Rose.

ZGOZZ

Will be doing some upgrades on my Floyd Rose.
So far I have put a tremolo-no system in love it.
From now on that will be in all my Floyd Rose bridges.

One other upgrade I have been looking into is Big Blocks / Sustain Blocks, and Titanium String Lock Blocks.
Was talking to a few people about it and reading up as well. It does make a difference. So I will be checking this out as well.

http://floydupgrades.com

Have you guys heard anything about this? Good bad who cares?

A friend put the tremol-no on his seven string and could not shut up about how much better it worked.  He was very impressed by the packaging as well.  He liked how it improved the sustain/snappiness of his floyd guitar.  This further reinforced why I like fixed bridges, and I told him so.  He wasn't amused.

Honestly, the Titanium stuff sounds like it could perhaps do something when the bridge is floating, but that is about it.  It might look really cool, but once you take the springs out of the mix with the tremol-no, the hardness of titanium vs steel and that effect on sound is probably not going to matter much.  I will say this...  If I want something on my guitar, whether it does anything but look pretty, then dammit, I am going to put it on there.  And by the +1 Karma I get, I play better, so it sounds better.  But from a logic standpoint, I don't really know how much it will help.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
A friend put the tremol-no on his seven string and could not shut up about how much better it worked.  He was very impressed by the packaging as well.  He liked how it improved the sustain/snappiness of his floyd guitar.  This further reinforced why I like fixed bridges, and I told him so.  He wasn't amused.

Honestly, the Titanium stuff sounds like it could perhaps do something when the bridge is floating, but that is about it.  It might look really cool, but once you take the springs out of the mix with the tremol-no, the hardness of titanium vs steel and that effect on sound is probably not going to matter much.  I will say this...  If I want something on my guitar, whether it does anything but look pretty, then dammit, I am going to put it on there.  And by the +1 Karma I get, I play better, so it sounds better.  But from a logic standpoint, I don't really know how much it will help.
Patrick

Really have you tried the block at all, I will be using the brass ?

I have a brass block in my Jackson.  I really didn't notice that much of a difference.  If you decide to get the aftermarket block, be forewarned about one thing:  If you get the L-shaped block, you'll need to do some routing to get the full range of the trem.

DocNrock said:
I have a brass block in my Jackson.  I really didn't notice that much of a difference.  If you decide to get the aftermarket block, be forewarned about one thing:  If you get the L-shaped block, you'll need to do some routing to get the full range of the trem.
No not going with the L. So you have not noticed anything at all?

I've got a brass block on one of my floyds. To my ear it's slightly less bright than the steel block, but the difference is negligible.
I wouldn't bother putting one on any of my other guitars, kinda looks cool though.

Got a spare $795, you to can have some titanium saddles.... :tard:
ts0001_lrg.jpg

thumb55 said:
wow...do you own these?
Are you crazy? $800 for some saddles, c'mon only the rich and the stupid.... :tard:

Titanium is great stuff, I've made a lot of different things from it, but it's not that expensive anymore to warrant the price tag of $800...

Maybe in time I might machine my own from Ti... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
thumb55 said:
wow...do you own these?
Are you crazy? $800 for some saddles, c'mon only the rich and the stupid.... :tard:

Titanium is great stuff, I've made a lot of different things from it, but it's not that expensive anymore to warrant the price tag of $800...

Maybe in time I might machine my own from Ti... :dontknow:

Let me know when you do. Do the block, and the saddles why not.

DocNrock said:

ZGOZZ, HOLD THE PHONE!!!  I was wrong. 

When I changed the block in my Jackson, I had also swapped out pickups at the same time.  This is probably why I didn't notice much of a difference (JB swapped out for a Steve's Special, which has a mid-scooped EQ).  I just finished changing strings on my white Warmoth Strat (EMGs).  I needed to blacken the trem cavity, so while the paint was drying, I decided to go ahead and install one of the brass L-blocks that I had previously ordered.  My luthier friend had done the swap on my Jackson, since it needed to be setup anyway.  There are two points I'd like to now make.

1)  NO need for additional routing for the L block in the Warmoth trem route.  I don't know what is different about the Jackson route that required additional wood removal for clearance, but it was not necessary on the Warmoth Floyd route; full range up and down.

2)  DEFINITE  increase in chunkiness and sustain, even at low volumes.  I could only imagine what this would sound like with the volume cranked (but everyone is home right now).  I don't know if you'd hear this kind of difference with thick sounding passives, but with the EMGs, which many describe as "thin," "sterile," etc., there is a notable increase in the fullness of the sound.

I hope this helps.

And FWIW, I think the only thing you'd get out of the Ti saddles is more broke.  I wouldn't even consider the Ti block.  Ti is a very strong but very light metal.  Mass is in the brass!  And mass is what one would theoretically want for this desired effect.

I'll be putting these on all my Floyds now.

Also cool to know about the Tremol-no.  I'm going to try one on an upcoming build.  The guys at the Jackson/Charvel forums rave about the Tremol-no.  Just the ease in string changing alone may make it worth it.

So it does make a difference.
When I did the Titanium String Lock Blocks it made a difference, cant wait to see what the block does, so you like it then?

ZGOZZ said:
When I did the Titanium String Lock Blocks it made a difference, cant wait to see what the block does, so you like it then?

The remaing 4 guitars in my collection that have Floyds will be getting one of these, if that tells you anything.  :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
ZGOZZ said:

The remaing 4 guitars in my collection that have Floyds will be getting one of these, if that tells you anything.   :icon_thumright:

Thanks Just ordered mine.
The dude who make them is about 30mints away from me.

ZGOZZ said:
DocNrock said:
ZGOZZ said:

The remaing 4 guitars in my collection that have Floyds will be getting one of these, if that tells you anything.   :icon_thumright:

Thanks Just ordered mine.
The dude who make them is about 30mints away from me.

I hope you like them.  I can say they at lease fatten up the EMGs.  I've also got one waiting for my Ibanez JS1000, but they don't make the L block for the Ibanez trem.

I put a bronze L block on my floyd last week together with the titanium string blocks.  Wouldn't expect that the string blocks do anything.  Thing is I've crushed so many of those in my time that I thought it would be a good idea to get something reputed to be a little more solid.  As for the big block - yes, I think there is a definite improvement in sustain and overall "resonance".  I overhauled the guitar completely - new frets / neck finish etc as part of the process but I do think the block made a big difference to the sound (improved!).  As the Doc pointed out - the L block will limit the range of movement on the Floyd (the guitar in question is not a Warmoth) so it will need some extra routing.  In my case though that's not too big a deal as I'm fine with the current range.

Cheers.

elgravos said:
I put a bronze L block on my floyd last week together with the titanium string blocks.  Wouldn't expect that the string blocks do anything.  Thing is I've crushed so many of those in my time that I thought it would be a good idea to get something reputed to be a little more solid.  As for the big block - yes, I think there is a definite improvement in sustain and overall "resonance".  I overhauled the guitar completely - new frets / neck finish etc as part of the process but I do think the block made a big difference to the sound (improved!).  As the Doc pointed out - the L block will limit the range of movement on the Floyd (the guitar in question is not a Warmoth) so it will need some extra routing.  In my case though that's not too big a deal as I'm fine with the current range.

Cheers.

Cool block will be in this week.

Block Is in but the intonation is being a pain the bottom 2 strings. Everything else is great.
Still fine tuning it. Then I have a buddy who will try it.
:icon_thumright:

Back