Why doesn't Warmoth make a roasted Mahogany body or neck?

WindsurfMaui

Why doesn't Warmoth make a roasted Mahogany body or neck? Is it because the Mahogany grain is more dense than Alder or Ash?

I thought the point to roasting was to make a wood more stable and somewhat lighter, and had little to do with appearance (as nice as some may be)?

It may amount to a difficulty in sourcing torrified mahogany of the proper size and quality. They have to have a source they can rely on. At a price that's reasonable.

Maybe it doesn't respond well to the process. I can't find the stuff anywhere.

Never had a problem with a mahogany necks stability with the thinnest finish. Yes with maple.  That said others will have different experience and will tell my experience is the exception

I have some scrap mahogany, could try to bake it like I did with maple recently and see how dark it becomes :laughing11:

it more a economic thing , customer need to pay extra for roasted wood need some justification .

for the darker look , this point not really apply to Mahogany as it already quite dark .

for  stability and tone wood part ( I find this point true on Ash and I willing to pay  extra  ) , I think many people has try mahogany but maybe not so obviously.

there some roasted Mahogany neck in the market, but much less than maple .

I'm assuming that roasted mahogany won't need a finish and necks could be burnished like roasted maple necks. Plus yes a mahogany body would be lighter. I just thought that so many mahogany guitars and necks are sold that mahogany would be part of the roasting family.

Mahogany has an open pore structure, unlike maple. Even if you burnished it, I imagine it would still have open pores that you would want to fill.

Michael

Well you brought up an interesting point. Is Mahogany more open than ash? If roasting is to take the moisture out of the wood if I wanted to fill the pores on a roasted Ash body would it take the fill? If so does that defeat the roasting stability of the ash body by putting moisture back into the body? I saw the red dyed satin finish roasted ash I think) body Aaron used in a recent video and would like to dark fill the pores on a roasted ash body so they stand out more under the red dye but I would finish it with tru-oil rather than a satin finish. I assume I would have to have something covering the red dye and just couldn't stop there. I might want to red dye the headstock of the roasted maple neck I would attach.

roasted Ash body would take the fill and dye, need to stop  moisture back into the ash body with finish coat .

maple is more density, but I still think roasted maple need clear coat if you in some  moisture area .

yo, do bodies get more stable when roasted? do they NEED to be more stable for some reason?

i thought roasted bodies was about #tone and #color, not for stabilty like roasting necks.

roasted ash bodies are amazing. If you 'roast' a piece of regular, hard northern ash (that superheavy stuff) you will end up with a lighter piece at the end, which is also more resonant. I see just wins here.

Back