Why does the package weigh so much?

line6man

Epic Member
I am not sure if this is the right forum or not, so mod's feel free to move it.

I just got an email from UPS saying that my unfinished showcase body has shipped.
Apparently, the package weighs 8.4 pounds, but the body only weighs about 5.7 pounds.
What is this extra 2.7 pounds i am seeing? Does Warmoth's packaging really weigh that much?

I guess so... there's a fair bit of cardboard in one of those boxes.  Did you order any hardware?

Come to think of it who cares? ;)

Nope,  just a body and nothing else.

I reason why i am asking is because this is sort of confirming my theory that UPS tries to screw you over. :sad: Maybe they are keeping little weights under their scales, so they can charge you more.

But seriously though, Warmoth has a flat shipping rate, based on how much you spend, but just thinking about how much this body is going to cost me when i ship it to someone for finishing has my wallet terrified...

line6man said:
I am not sure if this is the right forum or not, so mod's feel free to move it.

I just got an email from UPS saying that my unfinished showcase body has shipped.
Apparently, the package weighs 8.4 pounds, but the body only weighs about 5.7 pounds.
What is this extra 2.7 pounds i am seeing? Does Warmoth's packaging really weigh that much?

Good Lord.

This thread is lacking something... hmm... Oh, right:

"That's what she said."

Sorry about that, hijack is over.

It is a little strange I guess, I got my neck today and my body 2 weeks ago, and both of them were right on for weight. (I just checked the quantum view) I mean you aren't being charged more for it so personally I wouldn't care.. and have them weigh the package when you take it in to ship on, you shouldn't have any issues there.

I kind of see where he's coming from....

I ordered a custom one-piece tele ash deluxe body recently. Since it was a special order, I had no idea how much it was going to weigh, so I was pretty much hoping for the best. When I saw the UPS tracking info note that the shipping weight was 8 lbs I was definitely a little concerned. It was just the body, no hardware or anything like that with it. I had nightmare visions of a 6 lb guitar body or something. What kind of swamp did this ash come from??

Fortunately, it's due to what is just apparently heavy cardboard - the body itself was a little under 4.5 pounds, and all was good.

I realize this is a 13 year old thread, however I just experienced a similar situation. I ordered a Strat body, Swamp Ash, unfinished, and paid the extra $40 for lightweight wood (I can only play lightweight guitars due to back problems). Warmoth completed the body today and I received UPS shipping notification. UPS lists the weight as 5.5 LBs. I was hoping for a body less than 4 LBs (ideally 3 1/2 LBs), so that would mean the packing material would weigh 1 1/2 to 2 LBs, which seems excessive. Delivery is scheduled for next Thursday so I’ll report back then after I receive the body.

It ships in a box that's like 20" x 20" x 3", which is about 1 lb. by itself when empty. Then add the packing materials plus round-up, and that sounds legit to me.

The box and packing material are about 2lbs, barring any hardware that is also packed into the box. Shipping carriers charge for the weight of the shipment, or the dimensional weight, whichever is higher. The dimensional weight of the body box is 8lb for UPS.

I got Bit O Honeys in my last shipment. Got another today (cables to complete my bass rig). I wonder what’s there.

Back