New and Old Ideas

DocNrock

Master Member
I was pretty active back in 2007-2009, both building Warmoths and being a participant of this forum.  I'm coming back around, and have been happy to see some of my old friends still here.  I made some suggestions back between '07 to '09, and I will make them again.  I'm also going to make a few more.

I also am not going to hold my breath.  :laughing7:  But, if no one requests anything, nothing gets done, right?  OK, so here goes.

1)  Please bring back the metal "Warmoth Made in USA" decals.  Perhaps another vendor can be sourced who doesn't require the purchase of 5000+ of these.  They are very cool and unique, and fit the nature of a Warmoth build exceptionally well.  I'm sorry, but those decals that ship with the necks are cheesy, at best.  And for those of us who get a finished neck from Warmoth, or one that does not require a finish, how long is that decal going to stay attached, anyway?  It would only work if it was put on the headstock and then a clear coat applied over it.

2)  Please offer routing for flush trem covers.  This can't be any more difficult than a CNC program.  The control panels are routed so that the covers are flush with the back, so why not the trem covers?  I recognize some people do not want trem covers, and for them, fine.  For those of us who like them, it would certainly give a more "finished" look to the completed instrument.  I can't think of a guitar brand with a trem cover that is not flush with the back.  Even $99 imports with cheesy Floyd copies have recessed trem covers.  :laughing7:  I would gladly pay a $35 upcharge for a flush trem cover.

3)  Please offer non-dot inlays in materials other than pearloid, corian, etc.  "Real" Made in USA guitars, such as Jackson, use materials such as Mother of Pearl for their sharkfin inlays.  I have a Warmoth with the pearloid sharkfins and it looks OK, but side by side with the MOP inlays, the difference is obvious.  I would expect materials such as pearloid to be used on cheapie imports.  Nowadays, the less-expensive imports are being made with much higher quality components.  I have two import BC Rich guitars (Mockingbird ST and Draco Ghost) that were made in South Korea.  The materials and fit/finish on these guitars is exceptional.  The Mockingbird cost $550 and has pearl diamond-shaped inlays.  The Draco Ghost cost has abalone crown-shaped inlays and cost $899.  These quality of these two guitars is much like the quality of Made in USA guitars just seven to ten years ago.  I am happy to have nice materials for dot inlays, so I often have opted for dots when I would have preferred to have had an more unique inlay, but it really is something I have settled for, and not something I would have specifically chosen.  There obviously is the option for no inlays, but some people like inlays. 

4)  I appreciate the ability to ask for the lightest slab of a particular type of wood for a body, but at a $40 upcharge, I would like to see some sort of assurance that the body will be under a particular weight.  I tried to do this the other day, and while the customer is apparently guaranteed the lightest slab of wood that is currently on-hand, there is no guarantee that the body will be at or under a particular weight.  Most of the time, this would probably work out fine.  But here is an example.  I have a WGD that I built from a Warmoth body I bought off of Ebay.  The body is black korina, and has beautiful markings, but it is incredibly heavy.  Like 7+ pounds heavy.  This is probably why the original owner sold it.  I am going to replace it, and inquired about the ability to select the weight.  I was told that there is no guarantee.  So, worst case scenario, I pay $40 extra for the lightest slab on-hand, and it turns out that they all would make six to 7 pound bodies.  You see my point.  I mean, if one can buy and "Ultimate Choice" piece of wood for the grain, why not an "Ultimate Choice" with the weight of the slab posted?

5)  I would like to see two options for the paddle headstock sizes.  The current one, 9" x 4", is likely to be adequate for most headstocks.  Clearly, the reason for the paddle headstock is for a custom one the end user has in mind and is handy with wood working and finishing, or to make one that Warmoth will not make to protect themselves from copyright or patent infringments.  There is one I have in mind, but I will admit it is a copy of a well-known headstock that Warmoth does not make.  Well, they make something similar, but it is disproportionately large.  This particular heastock I have in mind would require a paddle minimally 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", accounting for sanding, etc.  I recognize Warmoth doesn't want to waste wood, so a second paddle size would make sense.  They have a couple of headstocks that would require a paddle this size, so it's not like there would be no precedent.  And all it would take is a CNC program.

6)  Chambered WGD.  Going back to my post about my "obese" WGD, I asked W and was told chambering is not an option for the WGD.  But yet it can be done for a Strat.  It's just a CNC program away!  ;)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  :icon_thumright: 

All legitimate concerns however manufacturing and filling parts orders takes a small army, dedication and luck. Anything that upsets getting product out the door and to the customer rides at the back of the bus. Or if it's not an in-house idea it's back of the bus or under the bus.

1) If no metal Warmoth plates are available head to eBay and locate someone who does custom waterslides and have them make a Warmoth decal using your own design.
2) If you want a recessed trem cover and Warmoth is no help then put $35.00 towards a router, make a template and DIY.
3) Perhaps a snail mail letter concerning inlay quality to Warmoth would help.
4) You should get the close-enough-weight you pay extra for.
5) The only option is to glue a 1.5" piece of close matching wood to the headstock and detail it out.
6) This one reminds me of the Tele I was thinking about building. It will cost more to add tummy and forearm contours to a Tele body than it costs to order a contours included Hybrid Tele Body.

I built Violins in the 1980s from blocks of maple and spruce. I almost lost an end of a finger learning how to build Violins so you could say I have skin in the game...If Warmoth offered nothing but wood blanks I suspect the unofficial forum membership would be less by probably 95%. If I had someone hand me an assembled violin body and carved neck I would have been in fiddle heaven. So to have someone hand me a guitar body and neck to complete is a cakewalk. Long live Warmoth.

Jumble Jumble said:
I can't think of a guitar brand with a trem cover that is not flush with the back.
Um, how about Fender?  :laughing7:

I guess that shows how many Fenders I have played! 

And to the detractor above, perhaps you know how to build violins.  I don't.  I can do routing, in fact, I own a router.  But there is no way I will lay a router to a finished body I have bought.  Perhaps I should, but I would much prefer to pay to have it done before I get the body. 

This is the "Suggestion Box."  These are my suggestions.  If they would not be your suggestions, perhaps you should just move along.  JMHO. 

Have a good day.  :icon_thumright:

Regarding recessed trem spring cavity covers...

The non-recessed nature of them is sort of a Fender deal the same way string trees were/are. It's a concession to production inconsistency that amounts to a manufacturing time/money saver with no playability/sound impact. A recessed trem cover has a pretty good chance of interfering with the springs. The clearances are very small. Let it sit on the surface, and you buy maybe another .100" clearance that allows for high-angled spring claws, low-clearance bridges, over-size sustain blocks, etc. Many others have followed suit because... Fender. If Leo did it, it's blessed.

Cagey said:
Regarding recessed trem spring cavity covers...

The non-recessed nature of them is sort of a Fender deal the same way string trees were/are. It's a concession to production inconsistency that amounts to a manufacturing time/money saver with no playability/sound impact. A recessed trem cover has a pretty good chance of interfering with the springs. The clearances are very small. Let it sit on the surface, and you buy maybe another .100" clearance that allows for high-angled spring claws, low-clearance bridges, over-size sustain blocks, etc. Many others have followed suit because... Fender. If Leo did it, it's blessed.

It's all good.  Fender must be one of the only ones who do not recess their trem covers.  But trem blocks are made in various lengths to account for this, even the over-sized sustain blocks. 

Like I said, it doesn't have to be done on every body that has a trem cavity.  Simply make it a $35 upcharge, like a contoured heel, and then only those who want it will order it.  I know I would, and I doubt I'm the only one, although those of us who would are probably not the majority.  Jackson, which is owned by Fender, recesses for their trem cavity covers. 

I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing a rear-routed Fender Strat.  Yet the control cavity for a Warmoth rear-routed Strat has a route for a recessed cover.  :dontknow:

I concur...A recessed trem-cover would be a clearance problem for the best quality Fender hardware. IMO, If the trem cover could be recessed the neck plate should be recessed. For my extremely rare trem builds the trem-covers are omitted due partially to the pick-guards I use have no matching trem-covers available.

DocNrock said:

And to the detractor above, perhaps you know how to build violins.  I don't.  I can do routing, in fact, I own a router.  But there is no way I will lay a router to a finished body I have bought.  Perhaps I should, but I would much prefer to pay to have it done before I get the body. 

This is the "Suggestion Box."  These are my suggestions.  If they would not be your suggestions, perhaps you should just move along.  JMHO. 

Not so fast grumpy. With no replies whatsoever to your rant in almost a month I did you a big favor by merely responding to you in a fair, factual manner. At no point in my response did I or would I ever suggest using a router to recess a trem cover on a finished body. Obviously I gave you waaaaaaaaaaay more credit than you deserve and assumed you applied the finish. You want to see a detractor...look in a mirror.

NovasScootYa said:
DocNrock said:

Not so fast grumpy. With no replies whatsoever to your rant in almost a month I did you a big favor by merely responding to you in a fair, factual manner. At no point in my response did I or would I ever suggest using a router to recess a trem cover on a finished body. Obviously I gave you waaaaaaaaaaay more credit than you deserve and assumed you applied the finish. You want to see a detractor...look in a mirror.

Bwahahahaha!  Nice.  :laughing7:

Back