Who uses Nordstrand NJ4SE ? (Hot split jazz)

Tinsnips

If anyone here has used them, I'd like to know what your results were.

The application I might use them for is my warmoth jazz bass, rosewood/alder, currently with DiMarzio ultra jazz pups. Very good, but...

I use them as well as the NJ4s when I'm looking for a pickup to fit in a J shaped route

the NJ4SEs are v-e-r-y musical and modern, and virtually hum free, but they're not a spot on duplication of that classic single-coil sound found in the NJ4s. they also blend beautifully with either a split P or MM style pickup (i.e. P/J or J/MM configuration) and work equally well in a passive and/or active bass

these are my first choice over the NJ4 unless I'm looking for something totally vintage sounding, when I instead choose a NJ4

anything else I can comment on for you?

all the best,

R

anything else I can comment on for you?.............

Pehaps. Which Nordy in your experience gives the best Jaco honk?

Could you help me Mr Rod?
Once I was going to buy a Warmoth Blk Korina J body, didn't buy it because I tried to talk with the guys from Nordstrand about having a P Bass tone under a J size, they were like "we can try but it won't sound very alike"...

I was looking after a tone like this:
http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw

Do you think some pickup would sound alike, perhaps even fatter??? I think they were very skeptic about it because they build it and should be very tight about the tone... Perhaps for the average guys it's less "black on white"  :laughing7:

My! That's quite some guitar playing!  :hello2: Imagine... musicians actually listening to one another... must be old, huh? Bass? What bass? :laughing3:

SkuttleFunk said:
they also blend beautifully with either a split P or MM style pickup (i.e. P/J or J/MM configuration)

But they also work great in pairs, right?

Tinsnips said:
anything else I can comment on for you?.............

Pehaps. Which Nordy in your experience gives the best Jaco honk?

from my experience it's the NJ4 model that captures the tone - but the majority of getting 'that tone' will definitely depend on your playing technique. if you got the technique under your fingers, the NJ4 is the ticket IMO

now if you're talking about getting that sound in a 5-string or 6-string bass ... I'd seriously give the Nordy Fat Stacks consideration if you are willing to route for a soap bar shape. I built a 6-string single-cut bolt-on that one of my regular bass warriors took out into the field and into the studio, and he received consistent comments from surprised bandmates and engineers that he was able to get that Jaco sound from a 6-string if he voiced things the same as you would on a 4-string

if you had soapbar pickup cavities, I'd recommend these Fat Stacks wired up with a coil tap switch for each pickup over the NJ4 so you'd have even more flexibility from each pickup

all the best,

R

NonsenseTele said:
Could you help me Mr Rod?
Once I was going to buy a Warmoth Blk Korina J body, didn't buy it because I tried to talk with the guys from Nordstrand about having a P Bass tone under a J size, they were like "we can try but it won't sound very alike"...

I was looking after a tone like this:

Do you think some pickup would sound alike, perhaps even fatter??? I think they were very skeptic about it because they build it and should be very tight about the tone... Perhaps for the average guys it's less "black on white"  :laughing7:

I can't get to the video until this coming weekend when I'll have my regular internet connection, sorry

the problem you'll have immitating a P pickup sound in a J sized wrapper has to do with the area that sits under the string. a J pickup is skinny and deep, where a P pickup is shallow and wide. you can get part way there with a split-coil J, but you won't be able to get all the way there simply due to the physics involved

if you were open to a soapbar shaped pickup instead of the J profile, I'd consider looking into a set of Big Splits. with these you get the width plus some additional depth, but it's packaged into an in-line configuration. still, it won't exactly replicate the P sound - but you'll get about 85% of the way there

all the best,

R

Thanks Rod, you said exactly what the guys from Nordstrand said to me... Looks like you can apply for a job there, knowing their stuff!  :icon_thumright:

That bass is gone, after about 8 or 9 months on Showcase, was a extremely flamed black korina, already routed for Jazz-Jazz P.U.
I bought a Blk Korina top (not even on the shadow of that on showcase, nobody had flamed on stock when I ask, if anybody has this information, PLEASE SEND ME!) and probably will buil a P Bass or a J bass with PB pickup or a music man pickup in the place of the PB usually goes, as on Build Your Own Guitar by Melvin Hiscock...

stubhead said:
My! That's quite some guitar playing!  :hello2: Imagine... musicians actually listening to one another... must be old, huh? Bass? What bass? :laughing3:
LOL I started listening for the bass at about 4 minutes in.........I got totally absorbed  :laughing7:

UPSHOT:

The little woman bought me a pair of NJ4SEs for christmas. They're definately worth the (double) money. Great honk, very little harshness. Great Jaco, great Chris Squire, lotsa great rock tones. So far I've tried Fender, DiMarzio, Duncan, Carvin, Bartolini. Nordstrands sound the best.

Now I build better jazz basses than Fender......................Pfffft!

Back