White pearl Soloist - new pics on page 6

Don't let those guys row your boat. Gold looks great on some combinations of wood/finish. With any variation of white, any hardware finish looks good. Black is nice and contrasty, gold is warm and rich, and chrome is cold and sparkly. Black is the absence of color, and white is all colors, so you can do whatever you want and it'll look great. Nothing clashes.

Spot on Cagey..
and since i want the clean stellar sparkling cold look.... i,m going with chrome ;)

/JZ

I,m trying to upload som pics of the neck but i,m getting a message saying that the upload folder is full??

Report it to a moderator - there's a link on the lower right-hand side of every post.

Graphics do eat up a lot of memory. It's pretty generous of Warmoth to allow people to post them on their servers. I usually put the ones I post on my server and just link to them. Gives me more control.

yah i was having that same problem. i tried to post a picture on here as well and it wouldnt even let me put up my post. it just kept saying that i already posted it and that the box was full.

Aside from it being Jackson's Strat-type guitar, could someone explain the difference between a Soloist and a Stratocaster body?

Since Warmoth allows us to route whatever we want, more or less, into any body, if there isn't some significant difference in the Soloist and Strat bodies, I don't get why they're both available. If anyone could allay my confusion / shine some light on my ignorance, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

the soloist has much deeper cutaways, so that if you top routed it, a strat pickguard would not fit properly. There is very little difference shapewise, but I suppose that the soloist more associated with shred/metal than the strat which is more associated with blues/rock, but warmoth won't limit you to building either guitar in these ways.

yah basically the soloist isnt quite as round around the edges. and the horns are much bigger. if you google both of them its easy to tell.

rockskate4x said:
the soloist has much deeper cutaways, so that if you top routed it, a strat pickguard would not fit properly. There is very little difference shapewise, but I suppose that the soloist more associated with shred/metal than the strat which is more associated with blues/rock, but warmoth won't limit you to building either guitar in these ways.

All Soloists are rear-routed, so there are no pickguards. The extra-sexy ones have carved tops. The difference in shape is mainly the deeper cutaways as you mentioned, which facilitate soloing since most lead players (who are essentially soloists) do most of their dancing up in the second octave of the neck. They're the ones who buy the 24 fret extension option on their necks as a matter of course.

I've never needed a 22nd fret either, but for years people ridiculed Fenders because they only had 21 frets while Gibsons had 22, as if that was some kind of advantage. I mean, can't you stretch the string a half-step on the 21st fret and get the same thing? You're certainly not playing chords up there. So, they finally said "Fine! Dammit!" and started building them with 22 frets. Now we've got to deal with fretboards interfering with pickguards. Then, of course, some guys had to have 24 frets because, well, just because. So, not to be left out, Warmoth offers it, too. Gotta give the people what they want.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of their necks are ordered with the 24 fret extension. I can't imagine it being useful. But then, look at Les Pauls. They're pretty useless above the 16th fret or so unless you have some kind of freakish hands or enjoy carpal tunnel syndrome. So, apparently there are a lot of freakish hands or masochists out there <grin>

Are we hijacking this thread?  :icon_biggrin:

I can play my Hagstroms, which are effectively Les Paul copies, up to the 19th fret on all strings, using only fingers 1, 2 and 3. I can play the treble strings beyond that (I have pick-pocket fingers), but I have no use for those notes, really.

I'm a rhythm guy. I don't usually play beyond the 15th or 16th fret when noodling on my own and when playing with others, I barely will stray beyond 12.

Having long fingers makes the contoured heel thing a non-issue, too. I can reach the 21st fret on the low E on my Strat with no problem. Like I'd ever need it, though. :)

Cagey said:
I've never needed a 22nd fret either

Grown-ups guitars go to 21 and stop. As far as the "freakish hands" goes... you puttin' me down for hammering the 21st fret from the 12th? Don't dis, man.

I'm sorry; I forgot about hammers. You're right. Next neck, I'm gonna see if Warmoth will build me one with 36 frets. To hell with all those pesky pickups <grin>

The Neck

3A Maple on maple
No fret markers (only on the side)
24 medium jumbo frets
Planet waves auto trim tuners

neck3b.jpg

neck1q.jpg

neck2h.jpg

Nice neck! I'm not normally a fan of maple 'boards because of the finish, but that one is sharp enough I think I'd make an exception.

Thanx.. for me its just perfect.. silk satin finish. as close to raw wood as it gets i guess. :)

Back