First Timer Here

LongBall

Hi Everybody - I am a first time DIYer and thought a post would be appropriate to thank all of you for your help and also to share what I have learned.  Also, I had a few questions.

The top is a medium quality quilted maple from Warmoth.  As a cheapskate, I only bought two stain colors from StewMac - Lemon/Yellow and Red Mahogany.  First I used a dark (although probably not dark enough) RM stain with just a touch of LY and then sanded back to the original wood.  Then, I tried to create a sunburst with about 2/3 RM, 1/3 LY mix blending to all LY in the middle.  When I first stained the wood I was terrified and appalled at the look and how dark it was.  But as it dried and I continued to play with it and manipulate it, I am now happy with the look.  I hope the pic shows up.  This is not necessarily the look I had in mind when I started the project, but it does look pretty cool, nonetheless.  If I had to do it all over again, I would have used a black stain for the first pass.  I believe this creates a more 3D look.

Probably the most important things I learned in the staining process were, 1) how important water is in the application and removal of stain, and 2) the ability to continue to change the look even after a day of drying. 

My biggest mistakes were on the back during the wash coat and filler stages.  I think that I went way too light on both, making sand-throughs unavoidable - which led to endless sanding and restaining in an attempt reduce a splotchy look (2nd pic). The back is swamp ash.  It is really a shame because the wood is very attractive and I love the color, but if a pro looked at it they would immediately see my mistakes.  Any comments on the application of a wash coat (with aerosol) and the grain filler would be appreciated.

Finally, I have now gone through three cans of clear aerosol lacquer and I know that I need more.  I sprayed all but the last few coats with the piece hanging, which I believe led to more wasted spray than I needed to have.  At this point, (especially since I am out of lacquer), I thought I would let it "cure" for at least a week and then sand (probably wet) and reevaluate.  I still have some grain on the swamp ash.  Any thoughts on how I should proceed would be appreciated.  If you let it cure for a week or two will additional layers of lacquer still "melt" into previous coats?

Again, thanks for all of your help.  While I made my share of beginner mistakes, I am generally pleased with how it has turned out.  All questions or comments would be welcome.

Warmoth sent me the wrong neck so the new one will be here this week.  It is quarter sawn maple with a rosewood fingerboard.

Welcome :)  Very nice job, doesn't look like a first-timer's work!

You can add lacquer any time, months or years later...

Nice work. Let it cure for at least three weeks (bare minimum), buff it out somehow and see what you've got.

Back