Which wood for ambient

jskpongoui

Hi guys, I play ambient genres

(brian eno, boards of canada.. etc.)

I am building a jazzmaster what wood do you guys reccomend for ambient?

Where can I hear a  demo of "warm" or "bright" tone.

Thanks guys

:blob7:

:binkybaby:

:toothy10:

best tonewood foor ambient would be east slovakian beefwood
for the neck use north texan monkey wood.

Oh, for a JM, I'd just go for a maple neck (rosewood fingerboard, if you want), and a swamp ash or alder body. It will serve you well. Roll down the tone, and you get a warmer sound. Roll it up, and you get a brighter one.

ErogenousJones said:
Mark O said:
right
as long as the nut is made out of petrified mammoth penis.

I can't believe that this is the second reference to mammoth penis I've seen in the last week. In the same forum.

Don't forget your penis with a hat:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8886.msg118063#msg118063

Thanks for all the help guys,

another question though - which input jack rout do I want ?

edit - also - what neck pocket do i want?

:binkybaby:

:blob7:

Seems like you want a tradicional Jazzmaster, so Alder body...

But you really didn't give us much information for suggestions

jskpongoui said:
what information do you want for your replies to be more helpful and accurate?

my apologies for being vague.

I didn't see that you're new to the board, so Welcome!!!!
Well, in deed you give some information but I have never heard about these 2 bands, imagine their music :)
Think a traditional Jazzmaster will do you, so as Max said, Ash and Alder will be cool with maple and rosewood board (or maple board)... If you want something different from the traditional, then we can give some exotic options
:evil4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8  (boards of canada)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2itJnJLsMs&feature=related (brian eno)

also, what pick ups should I be looking at?

I'm trying to keep it sub 500 dollars... if possible  :sad1:

Keep it under 500 will be really a challange...
Would be better buy direct from Showcase, so a body start at $270 and the neck $277 (both finished) so without any bridge, pickup, pickguard, control place, etc etc etc it went over of that budget :sad1:
Perhaps you should try searching eBay  :icon_thumright:

Ash with some Ken Armstrong lipsticks could do the trick.

NonsenseTele said:
Keep it under 500 will be really a challange...
Would be better buy direct from Showcase, so a body start at $270 and the neck $277 (both finished) so without any bridge, pickup, pickguard, control place, etc etc etc it went over of that budget :sad1:
Perhaps you should try searching eBay  :icon_thumright:

I might just have to go with a GFS neck then.  :sad:

alright thanks for everyone's help

anyway, I have only had one guitar prior to this and it has been a rental for a few months, so I don't really need it top of the line- but I do plan on taking it seriously

I would set a $1000 limit. Buy your parts one at a time as you can afford them, and put it all together when you've got them all. Don't rush your decisions, and don't settle for less than you want.

You'll get a great guitar  :icon_thumright:

You know for under $500 you can get a decent Fender.  It's a little early to be shopping for custom guitars if you don't even know what "bright" and "warm" are.  For that kind of music, it doesn't matter so much, it all depends on your effects anyway.

Edit: holy crap I'm a MASTER MEMBER now :rock-on:

dbw said:
You know for under $500 you can get a decent Fender.  It's a little early to be shopping for custom guitars if you don't even know what "bright" and "warm" are.  For that kind of music, it doesn't matter so much, it all depends on your effects anyway.

Edit: holy crap I'm a MASTER MEMBER now :rock-on:

I think I might agree with DBW, go cool first, discover what sounds good for you then give the 2nd try, you won't regret...

Congrats Dan

Back