Question about a neck wood to go with custom made chambered Bubinga Tele...

SAF

with a spalted maple top. Started out with a Spanish cedar neck w/rosewood board and stainless frets. Had some questions about the stability of the neck, so then had a quarter-sawn AAAA flame maple neck with an ebony board built for the guitar - but this neck paired with the bubinga body was incredibly bright and harsh, and totally unacceptable tonally. I need something to tame the brightness. I want decent spank and articulation, but also want to smooth the tone out somewhat. This is my first experience with this body wood combination (bubinga/spalt maple). I've got the Spanish cedar neck back on it now, but am rethinking the use of stainless frets, and am not particularly happy with the neck profile - and the neck stiffness/stability issue is still in question. The pickup configuration is a Lollar P-90 in the neck, and a DiMarzio Hot-T Tele (hum cancelling) in the bridge. Had a Lollar Tele in the bridge but it was too bright in this guitar and too noisy, so I put it in the bridge of another parts Tele I own, and had the DiMarzio installed. I have a maple Warmoth Modern Tele neck on the parts guitar with the '59 Roundback profile (1 11/16 nut width) - which I like, so I'm thinking of getting either a neck with the same profile, or a Boatneck profile for the bubinga Tele. I'm having a hard time deciding on a neck wood though, so I'm looking for some advice. I'm pretty sure I want to go with something darker, but still retaining good note definition and midrange punch. Warmer, but not too warm. Also (hopefully) not excessively heavy. I like the descriptions of both Goncalo Alves and Wenge, but have zero experience with either. So any suggestions/recommendations? Anyone have any first hand experience with these neck woods? Or something else I might not have considered? I was also checking out the baked Maple necks with Rosewood fingerboards - but am not sure this would help tame the brightness or smooth out the tone. Also, I play a lot using various levels of overdrive - from bluesy slightly broken up, to moderate high gain - if that info is of any help. Any suggestions or first hand knowledge would be appreciated!

You have a number of subjective concerns, so it's difficult to recommend single solution. Many things will make a relatively small difference, but have synergistic effects so adding/subtracting/changing things will have more or less effect depending on how they're combined and how particular you are.

In my experience, the pickups are the elephant in the room, followed by the neck. Everything else is just spice. I don't know what to tell you about pickups - there are a million choices and the differences they can make are huge. So, the first thing that came to mind was the Wenge neck meat with perhaps a Rosewood fretboard. Wouldn't be my choice for a neck, but for what you describe as wanting/needing, I think that might be just the ticket. 

For pickups, you might want to look at the Tele offerings from GFS. Lotta variety there, all surprisingly high quality, but they charge surprisingly little for them. Makes it easy to experiment.

I'd recommend a plain maple wolfgagang neck with a rosewood board

Cedar neck, who even does that and why? i'm highly skeptical on that, and that's why my friends call me skepty.

Cedar neck, who even does that and why?

<MOD EDIT>  Confrontational verbiage removed. <MOD EDIT>

He said Spanish Cedar, which is neither Spanish, nor cedar. It looks, works, and behaves much like mahogany and is the choice of neck wood on many fine European classical guitars.

"called spanish cedar"

"isn't from spain"

"isn't cedar"

:icon_scratch:

what in the wild world of Crank 2: High Voltage? Who's in charge of wood? i need to get him (or her - women can be in charge of flora, too, since they don't discriminate) on the phone  cause this is whack and clearly an overhaul of the system is required.

but i digress

i agree with my boi cagey, pickups will be #1 (and that isn't a hashed tag). Bubinga body sounds pretty cool, so why not a bubinga neck? it works for a lot of noice basses. or what about a RW neck with a Bubi fretboard? That'd probably be SICK. I think OP might be overthinking stuff

BroccoliRob said:
"called spanish cedar"

"isn't from spain"

"isn't cedar"

:icon_scratch:

what in the wild world of Crank 2: High Voltage? Who's in charge of wood? i need to get him (or her - women can be in charge of flora, too, since they don't discriminate) on the phone  cause this is whack and clearly an overhaul of the system is required.

but i digress

i agree with my boi cagey, pickups will be #1 (and that isn't a hashed tag). Bubinga body sounds pretty cool, so why not a bubinga neck? it works for a lot of noice basses. or what about a RW neck with a Bubi fretboard? That'd probably be SICK. I think OP might be overthinking stuff

I think your posts are my most favorite. As one of possibly two females on this forum, I raise a shot of ranch to you.  :eek:ccasion14:

Cheers, ill drink to that

YOMCjrP.jpg

OK - to clarify: the guitar has already been built and played. I'm not happy with the way it sounds. Bubinga is by definition, a very hard, bright tone wood. What I am trying to move AWAY from, is "bright - harsh - overly punchy".
Rob:
The tonal qualities you want in a bass, and the properties you look for in guitar, are frequently very different. I mentioned in my post, that I had already tried a quarter-sawn flame maple neck with an ebony board on this guitar, and the results pushed the tone WAAAY to the unacceptably (to me) bright end of the spectrum. Putting a Bubinga neck on this Bubinga bodied instrument would only push the tone in that same direction - maybe even further! It might look "sick" - but it would also sound sick... and not in the way you intended. I do NOT want brighter and punchier - I've already got too much of that. I want to tame the brightness, and try to get the overall tone more balanced. Most of the "bright" I'm hearing, is due to the construction of this guitar - because of the woods that were used. I agree that the pickup(s) are somewhat of a wild card, but changing p'ups is not going to get me all the way to where I need to go.

This guitar was somewhat of an experiment, between me and the builder. He'd used Bubinga before, but this was the first time he'd tried a chambered Bubinga body, with a spalted maple top. Neither of us was sure of what the tonal characteristics would be, but I recommended we go with it, primarily because I liked the way it looked. Similarly, he'd never used Spanish cedar before (for an electric neck)but he knew that it was used successfully on acoustic instruments, and since it is in the mahogany family, theoretically it should be stiff enough. He'd already made one as an experiment, and when I saw how it looked, I fell in love with it. He said that if it turned out it wouldn't hold tune, we could try always try something else. We originally swapped out necks for a totally different reason than "tone" (neck stability), but it also turned out that going to the maple/ebony neck had a huge effect on the overall tone of the guitar, and only served to exaggerate the brightness, with even more harsh overtones than with the Spanish Cedar neck! So we subsequently switched necks back to the original (Spanish Cedar).

Pickup-wise, I knew I wanted a P-90 in the neck, and I also wanted to retain the traditional Tele bridge tone, so we chose a Lollar Vintage Tele bridge p'up to go with the Lollar P-90 in the neck. Thought these two would provide a good balance. But it turns out that in this guitar, the the bridge pickup is excessively punchy and bright - bordering on harsh. And nothing I've done has mitigated that. I switched to the DiMarzio Area -T Hot tele bridge pickup, because it is hum cancelling, and because it is also a little more mid-rangy than a typical Telecaster bridge pickup - while still retaining some of the Telecaster bridge characteristics. However, I'm not sure at this point, that even the DiMarzio is going to work for me. It may be, that I have to end up going to something like a Barden, or one of the Duncan humbuckers made to fit in a Tele bridge rout - and completely forego any traditional Tele bridge tone at all - just to get away from the harshness, and to fatten up the bridge tone on this guitar a little! (And btw - don't try to tell me that a Barden bridge sounds just like a Tele. I've used Bardens before and although I do like the way they sound, they don't sound a traditional Tele pickup).

So here is what I DO know (and am not just "guessing at" or "overthinking"). Because of the way this guitar is constructed - the type of woods used and the chambered body - the neck wood has a VERY significant influence on the tonal characteristics of this instrument. The pickups are also (obviously) a factor, but are not THE deciding factor... just a contributor. The Spanish Cedar neck is beautiful but has stability issues, and the neck carve ended up being thinner that what I had originally envisioned. Also, I am second guessing my decision to go with stainless frets - as they also contribute somewhat to the overtones and brightness I am fighting. So back to my original question: Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience with ANY of the 3 neck woods I mentioned: Goncalo Alves, Wenge, or roasted maple with a rosewood fingerboard. I know that maple is a bright sounding tone wood, but that the "roasting" process, mellows the tonal characteristics of the wood, so that it doesn't sound like a typical maple neck. That's what I've read anyway. SO... I just want to know if anyone on here, has any information or recommendations they might pass on, based on their DIRECT experience with any of the aforementioned neck woods - OR with any I might not have considered, which might have similar characteristics to what I've described! Thanks again -

Here are a couple of pics (I hope...):

Attachments

• IMG_2272[1].JPG
    IMG_2272[1].JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 257
It's a rad looking guitar, but I dunno, Marilyn Monbro, pickups would be really high on my list of things to try first or maybe even (HEAVEN FORBID!) an EQ pedal (omg boo hiss) just from a fiscal standpoint.

yo i'm not trying to chum up your Tone Quest™, just tryna be #practical. TBF (short for 'to be fair') I didn't fully read your whole novelization of War 'n' Peace, but I skimmed it and DO want to say that my Goncalo baritone neck RULES THE SCHOOLYARD. I'm blazin' that skunk through a Duncan Invader in the bridge and it leaves no land unscorched. 

but TBF i don't have a Telecaster and TBH (to be honest) I don't want one. If the Cage-meister recommends Wenge then maybe that's worthy of some investigation. he's like a beacon of celestial light vanquishing the eternal darkness, alerting us, the sailors on this ship we call "earf", of the hazardous, endless rocks just beyond the edge of the storm into which we are about to collectively, and yet metaphorically, crash. damn that was deep. here's some more

Melody, come to me
sing your silent voice
Remedy, my envy
Bring me one last choice

so yeah, he's a pretty cool guy. The message board also has a pretty rockin' search function too :icon_thumright:

Back