Where to install the bridge.

Heft

I have an old mustang neck that I want to put on a 7/8 body. I would like to have the option to use a 7/8 warhead neck down the road. Am I right to assume I want to position the bridge so that the saddles are in a middle position with room to intonate both toward and away from the mustang nut?
The body has no bridge route.
Thanks,
Heft.

Heft said:
I have an old mustang neck that I want to put on a 7/8 body. I would like to have the option to use a 7/8 warhead neck down the road. Am I right to assume I want to position the bridge so that the saddles are in a middle position with room to intonate both toward and away from the mustang nut?

I tried a similar neck swap, but in my case I started with the body from a Fender MIM Mustang 90.    The guitar had been played so I assume it was correctly intonated with the original Mustang neck.  When I changed to the Warmoth 7/8 neck I had to move the saddles around 3.5mm further away from the nut.  There was only just enough space to adjust the intonation with the Fender flat mount bridge on this guitar, so the spring on the low E saddle is now fully compressed.  I strung the guitar with 10-46 D'Addarios.

Its hard to be sure that all Mustang have the same specs for the fret layout and bridge locations.  In my case the Mustang 90 would have been supplied with a 22 fret neck with 24.0" scale length.  I can't say if a true vintage Mustang neck would have been a direct swap.

Back