What was your first electric guitar?

yamaha, had no model name or #, just said yamaha. it was pearl white with black pup's and crome hardware. a single in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. strat body shape and the bridge was locking and floating but was not a floyd and the pot metal was so soft that the locking screws striped out and the strings would de-tune at every bend. it had a normal nut with a locking setup behind it. basically it could have been a really cool guitar but the hardware was crapolla.

next was a kort flying v. two color bust set neck, plywood body. loved that guitar but the pup's were muddy sounding and the tuners were crap, not to mention it was plywood.

then i got my mexican fender which has gone through many transformations but recently has gone back to being a 3 single coil guitar.

A "Scott" LP copy that looked like a great guitar, but that refused to stay in tune.

I'd love to find another one.  I think it could have been fixed by a halfway decent luthier.  It had some kind of satin, walnut-colored finish on it and looked a little stripped-down like a BFG.

Tradition SG. The owner of the store told me that it was made by the same people as Epiphone. I guess I believe it; it's got a lot of standard Gibsonesque features. bound neck, block inlays, HBs, 2 vol, 2 tone. But it's bolt-on.
It's been sitting in pieces in the garage for a few years now. I'm sure the truss rod has the neck useless after this much time.
I have vague plans of slowly upgrading with Warmoth parts until I have a full W guitar. Only concern is the neck pocket.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard, bought from a former classmate. Sold it later during a particulary miserable period of my life.

instagator said:
How about a pair..73 Bradley SG and a 73 Bradley EB-3.

Check out the "Lets Boogie" blacklight poster ...Those were the days.

Cheers.

So is that you and your twin brother?  I like the coiled cables, too.  Brings back memories.  When I started playing coiled cables were fairly common.

Mine was an Encore Coaster, Strat copy,  and a little Roland 15W tranny amp that I bought of my best mates brother in 1993/94 for £100 all in.

Had it for about 3 years until I 'upgraded' and my mum and dad bought me my Epi Les Paul with birdseye maple top.  Which I still have though I've since put Duncan JB and 59 in.  Somewhere along the line I got rid of the Roland amp and bought a Laney 30W solid state amp which had REVERB ! ! !

Flogged that and bought a Laney GH100L, 100W valve head (great amp) and a Crate 4x12.
4x12 was way too big so ditched it and got a Laney 2x12.

Then decided it was all too big and too loud (or so mum and dad kept telling me), so got rid, and bought a Laney VC30 (vox AC 30 style all tube amp).
That was my main gigging amp for years, until I decided it was'nt 'boutique' enough for me.
Sold it, got a Cornford Hurricane 18W all tube classA.  Stunning amp.

Bought a Torres Tiny Tone 1W Fender style amp kit.  Got into building amps, bought a Ceriatone 50W Marshall head kit, and a Smokey cigarette packet amp.

Went on Holiday to Miami, Florida, came home with Gibson ES-137.  little bit WillyK......

Bought my Warmoth bits, Jan 08

Bought a couple of pedal kits. March 08

Will never buy anything 'off the shelf' again

And so that bring us bang up to date in the concise history of JimH's guitar escapades.

A red Lotus strat copy when I was 13.....fine piece of plywood, that guitar. 

I remember I tweaked the bridge saddles so they were staggered exactly like the ones from a poster I had on my wall of Eddie Van Halen's guitar.  I had no understanding of what moving the saddles actually did at the time, and can only imagine how horrible the intonation must have been after I did my "adjustments"...sheesh.

Lark Les Paul Special copy baby! Tobacco sunburst, chrome covered fakebuckers...yeah man...
Next guitar-brand new 1980 LP Standard.

My first electric was a 2 pickup, left handed Watkins Rapier. Brand new in 1963 :eek: after about 40 guitars and basses, 25 of which I still own, the latest addition to the willy stable is a Gretsch Duojet :help: oops forgot the Hofner 500/1 I bought in London. Goin' to Seattle next week on the way home so anything could happen.

Hello, this is my first post..........My first guitar was an Aria Pro 2 Stray Cat, it had some serious issues, but I loved it. It was stolen by an attendee of my 14th birthday party. Sometimes I miss the Denver ( ie, Mile High) action and small electrical shocks it used to hand out!!

Red Harmony flying V with 2 single coil pickups.  I was so stoked to get it, came with a matching amp and got both for $15 at an auction sale.  Got it home and it sounded like shit - no distortion on the amp.  Then about a month after getting it, I leaned it against a chair to go get something in another room, heard a crash in my room and it fell forward, cracking the neck just below the nut.  My Dad, being a jack of all trades, made a "metal splint" and screwed it back together.  Sounded even worse and played horribly after that.  Then I did surgery on the pickups and made it completely useless.  I think I traded it to my friend's little brother, and it probably ended up getting totally destroyed by him.  Ahhh  good times!

Like CB, my first was a Tiesco Del Ray complete with rocker switches.  :headbang:

here's a pick

I thought it deserved a half decent case after being in that cardboard-box-passed-off-as-a-guitar-case for 25 years.  :icon_smile:

Brian

Back