What picks are y'all using?

I've been a Dunlop "rounded triangle" guy for probably the past 25 (?) years. Damn, I guess I'm getting old ...

I always felt like I was getting a 3 for 1 deal when buying them. You don't have to pay attention to direction. Just "pick" it up and play.

I started with the .88 Tortex. Then, after some years, moved to the Ultex version ...

1693539153013.jpeg

I have a big, long, fat, thumb that lays perfectly over the top section.

I have recently discovered the Dunlop Primetone version and can't see a reason to use any other. When using a pick, that is ... half of the time it's thumb and fingertips.

1693539553264.jpeg

Dunlop Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm. I've used them for years and haven't thought about picks since getting into them. It's always satisfying when you can stop thinking about certain gear and just think about practice. The same thing happened when I got my Axe Fx III. I haven't thought about amps in years, or pickups for that matter. I don't even remember what pickups are in my last 4 partcasters.

Usually, at home, I'm using the Dunlop Tortex Flex .73. A lot of promotional materials show them solid white, but I wanted to use this pic because they are semi translucent. They are kind of a hybrid of Delrin and Nylon. They have the durability of Delrin but sort of a smoother attack that you get with nylon. Can definitely hear a difference between these and a regular tortex of the same size. If I am gigging though, I use custom .73 Delrin picks from Steve Clayton.

download (2).jpeg

Dunlop Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm. I've used them for years and haven't thought about picks since getting into them. It's always satisfying when you can stop thinking about certain gear and just think about practice. The same thing happened when I got my Axe Fx III. I haven't thought about amps in years, or pickups for that matter. I don't even remember what pickups are in my last 4 partcasters.
What are the magic pups

Usually, at home, I'm using the Dunlop Tortex Flex .73. A lot of promotional materials show them solid white, but I wanted to use this pic because they are semi translucent. They are kind of a hybrid of Delrin and Nylon. They have the durability of Delrin but sort of a smoother attack that you get with nylon. Can definitely hear a difference between these and a regular tortex of the same size. If I am gigging though, I use custom .73 Delrin picks from Steve Clayton.

View attachment 60317
Missed opportunity for Torflex

What are the magic pups
No magic pups. Just reached a point of playing so long, making so many partscasters, (and having watched so many videos), that my response to pickups now is just, "Yep. Sounds like a guitar." 😀 I never knew about Jazz III picks until I'd been playing for 20 years and it was a huge deal. Always carry some in my wallet in case I come across a guitar in the wild.

I ordered a Pickboy Modrez 2.0mm pick and just got it an hour or so ago. First impressions: it's quieter on striking the strings than the 3.0mm Modrez pick I already have, and it sounds great acoustically. It glides off the strings very easily, and probably related to that is that it's a bit slippery between the fingers, although I think the grip will firm up once it warms up from playing (I think that is a characteristic of the resin it's made of.) The beveling is very well done (shaped by hand), but not quite as perfect as my Gravity Gold 2.5mm or Honey-Picks Kirinite Bumblebee 3.00mm. For me it feels too thin to be really comfortable, because I use 3.0mm picks, but for someone who likes this thickness it is an excellent premium pick. Here are a couple of pics:
Pickboy Modrez pick, 2.0mm sm.jpg
Modrez pick in hand 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of random picks I got a bag of, but I generally use the classic Tortex, both orange and green

I use the full size 2mm version of the Ultex. Would love to your sized pick in 2mm
Dunlop makes an Ultex Jazz III in 2.0mm. I have one in my pick bowl. For whatever reason I gravitated toward the thinner one. Prior to this, I was using EB Prodigy mini sharp or whatever it's called; I have the 1.5mm. They're different, Prodigy being sharper (no surprise), but I like them equally for standard electric guitar work. If I'm strummin the old phosphor bronzes or doing a Nile Rodgers tribute then it's a Jim Dunlop purple-clear medium full-size with the white script font.

Dunlop makes an Ultex Jazz III in 2.0mm. I have one in my pick bowl. For whatever reason I gravitated toward the thinner one. Prior to this, I was using EB Prodigy mini sharp or whatever it's called; I have the 1.5mm. They're different, Prodigy being sharper (no surprise), but I like them equally for standard electric guitar work. If I'm strummin the old phosphor bronzes or doing a Nile Rodgers tribute then it's a Jim Dunlop purple-clear medium full-size with the white script font.
Yup, tried it and didn't like it. I like the Jazz picks, but for whatever reason, it didn't translate well with a 2mm width

These are my favorites at the moment. The Honey Picks Honeybee Ultex 2mm and the Ernie Ball Prodigy Derlin 2mm.
I'm was originally a fan (and still really like) the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III, and these are some very nice derivatives. Both 2mm Jazz-type shapes, I find the Honey to be "glassier" and fatter sounding and the EB to be a little "smoother" and has beveled edges making it play like a slightly thinner pick.

725C8D02-8976-499C-B8B9-8300F541AA2F.JPG

Jim Dunlop's Primetone sculpted 3.0 (with a dab of poster putty cuz they're slippery devils), Jazztone Large Point Tip - 208s for a more defined attack, Dunlop's Jeff Loomis Ultex Sharp 1.5 for getting single-note passages up to speed because they demand (and reward) precision.

Dunlop L's and ProPik Split Wraps for thumb and fingers when playing slide or just thumpin' on the hayride.

Last edited:
I was rummaging through a drawer I keep picks in today and came across some I'd forgotten about. JB picks are made in a one man shop in Brooklyn, NY and as far as I know you can only buy them direct online from JB. JB makes picks from celluloid and a material called Corozo that I think is made from the seeds of the Corozo tree - that are apparently water and scratch resistant. Those would be interesting to try, but I only have 3 of JB's celluloid picks - one each in 1.0mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm. They're nice picks. Their bevels are hand shaped, and the prices reflect that. They might be a good option for someone who wants a premium pick and likes celluloid. Here is one of mine:
JB pick 1.5mm tortoise sm.jpg

Back