• Ernie Ball

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • GHS

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 41 24.4%

• Total voters
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
The last string I broke, I was turning the tuner above the locked nut of a Floyd Rose.  That was about 16 years ago, and hardly the string's fault.  That was the first, last, and only Floyd I ever owned.

+1 i cant stand floyd's
they frustrate the hell outta me.

I'm actually using Ernie Balls on my two main performance guitars.  I'm using D'Addarios on my Steinberger and my acoustic and I use Fender 150XLs on my Strat.

I heard quite a few years ago that there is actually only one company that manufactures guitar strings and all these other companies buy from them and put their packaging on them. Hey, I'm as guilty as everyone else in this thread, about choosing my brand of strings, but, if what I heard is true, it really wouldn't matter which ones you go with.
MULLY

mullyman said:
I heard quite a few years ago that there is actually only one company that manufactures guitar strings and all these other companies buy from them and put their packaging on them. Hey, I'm as guilty as everyone else in this thread, about choosing my brand of strings, but, if what I heard is true, it really wouldn't matter which ones you go with.
MULLY

I'm not sure if I quite believe that.

from the Dean Markley FAQ

A: Yes. Dean Markley is among a very small group of string companies that make their own strings. We have a manufacturing facility in Kalamazoo, Michigan that makes Dean Markley strings, as well as strings for a number of other companies.

not sure if this means some company makes the strings for them or they make strings for other company's. ......

Brian

Max said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard it from someone that knows his stuff. Take it for what it's worth, which isn't much.
MULLY
and he died 5 years ago so I can't call him and check that story

mullyman said:
Max said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

I don't know if it's true or not but I heard it from someone that knows his stuff. Take it for what it's worth, which isn't much.
MULLY
I could easily be wrong. History shows what makes sense to me doesn't make sense to large business owners :p

Max said:
mullyman said:
Max said:
mullyman said:
MULLY

MULLY
I could easily be wrong. History shows what makes sense to me doesn't make sense to large business owners :p

I could easily be wrong too. It sounds strange that only one company manufactures guitar strings but I guess it's not entirely far fetched. Although D'Adarrio supposedly has video of their string plant on their site.........but I haven't looked around it enough to actually find it.
MULLY

Even if they all come from the same exact factory they  could be made to different specs, materials, QC etc. My suspicion is that plain strings are the same but wound strings differ. This is easy enough to check - just buy two sets of strings, same size diff. company and string them up, see how they feel sound and play.

tfarny said:
Even if they all come from the same exact factory they  could be made to different specs, materials, QC etc. My suspicion is that plain strings are the same but wound strings differ. This is easy enough to check - just buy two sets of strings, same size diff. company and string them up, see how they feel sound and play.

Yeah, I can agree with this. That's why I go with DR strings. I've yet to stretch them out of tune after the first initial stretch after putting them on. DR's are my favorites.
MULLY

I use GHS Boomers 11-50 on the electrics and Red Brand 12-52 on the acoustics.  My goal is to keep putting on heavier strings until all my guitars have the same gauges.  :laughing7:

These debates have been going on longer than I've bee sucking air, and will go on long after I'm gone 
7452.gif

I remain confident that (in most cases) my strings are bigger than your strings 
stirthepot.gif

CrackedPepper said:
I use GHS Boomers 11-50 on the electrics and Red Brand 12-52 on the acoustics.  My goal is to keep putting on heavier strings until all my guitars have the same gauges.   :laughing7:

Or until your fingers have crevices up to the second knuckle. hehe!!
MULLY

Well I'm still playing wound-third 10s on my electrics.  After a few weeks playing bass though they're starting to feel mighty flimsy... I might go back to my 12s.  :guitarplayer2:

i've started using ernie ball strings again. i used them all the time when i started playing, decided elixir strings were awesome, and didn't look back. UNTIL i was stuck with one set of 11 gauge ernie ball strings and decided i actually really liked them. plus, they're cheap!

I've been using Elixer .09-.42's for quite a while. Currently I have DR Black Beauties on because my shop was out of Guitar Elixers and I like having coated strings.
Don't think I'd buy 'em for their looks and I think the tone is a touch muddier, but they're hanging on well.
I've got another set of E's waiting when one of the DR's breaks.

I used to play on .12-.52's until I decided to try some Carlos Santana strings (store only had 09-42s) been hooked on that size ever since.

Back