Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Ernie Ball

Votes: 44 26.2%
  • GHS

Votes: 21 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 41 24.4%

• Total voters
I play Ernie Balls, .50-.105 every time. Coated, regular Slinkys, flats or stainless, as long as they're EB .50-.105. That's what I learned on and I'm comfortable with the size. I usually go Regular Slinkys as I think nickel sounds the best.

Seeing this thread reminded me that I need to buy some strings. I think I'm going to order online from overseas this time. I found DR strings for half the price I'd pay for them here. Sure, shipping will cost but if I buy 3 dozen sets it'll work itself out.
MULLY

For those of you that have gone from heavy strings (i.e. 12s) to light (9s), are there any issues with the nut's strings slots?  For example, if my 6th string slot was cut for a .52 and I dropped down to a .42, would there be any issues with the slot being too big for the smaller string?

I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but: If the strings are held downwards onto the nut by appropriate pressure from behind, either string trees, angled headstock, retainer bar, or something, the strings need not be "held" by the slots at all - the slots don't need to be tight. Look at any bridge for one second and think about it. Same idea. If you don't have enough downward pressure, the strings could vibrate from side to side in the slots (sitar, terrible), pop out under bending, or other junk.

tfarny said:
I know I'm a broken record on this topic, but:

In my 4 days, 16 hours and 21 minutes on the website, I can honestly say I've never read anything from you on this topic.  Thanks for saying it one more time. 

couldn't say really. my original MIM nut broke on the G string, i changed gauges when i changed nuts

AutoBat said:
couldn't say really. my original MIM nut broke on the G string, i changed gauges when i changed nuts

My MIM J-bass busted a nut on a tight G string, too.

I refuse to reword that.

reminds me of watching anette leaning over a table to grab something in art class way back in highschool, i just turned my head and there she was. short black skirts and blue thongs are a nice combination. i was the only one who caught it.

oh wait we were talking about strings weren't we.

I usually stick with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46. Just find that once they are worn in, they work really well.  :party07:

Max said:
mullyman said:
I heard quite a few years ago that there is actually only one company that manufactures guitar strings and all these other companies buy from them and put their packaging on them. Hey, I'm as guilty as everyone else in this thread, about choosing my brand of strings, but, if what I heard is true, it really wouldn't matter which ones you go with.
MULLY

I'm not sure if I quite believe that.

If it is the case then that one company is manufacturing different feeling and sounding strings for a lot of different outlets.
There is no doubt in my mind that there is an obvious difference between string brands in how they feel and sound.

Some one tried to tell me once that GHS and Ernie Ball were the same strings with different packaging.
Totally absurd!

I use Ernie Ball 9s and (sometimes 10s) on my electrics.
Probably because they were the first good brand of strings I found after being stuck on the thick as hell flat wounds that came on my first Sears guitar ( no not a dan electro ) when I got it in the early 60's.
I tried a lot of other brands but always came back to EB because they seem to have a better response ( stronger pop ) for me, than other brands.

I've always used Roto Sound strings on my basses. I was into Entwistle very early on.

I recently switched to DR Pure Blues Lite N' Heavy and love them.  Before that I was using different coated strings but never really dug 'em.

Just started using GHS Carlos Santana Big Core BCCL .0095 - .048

So far I like 'em  :toothy10:

I use D'Addario 10 -46 on my electrics that I have used for years, and the new Maton Acoustic is loaded with Elixirs that I like the feel of (12 - 52?).

If I get into 'blues' mode for the Strat I'll go for a heavier gauge. Have had 12 -56 on the Strat and it started sounding a lot like SRV's tone (but that really punished the fingers!).

I look forward to the day my DR black beauties (09-42) break so I can get Elixirs back on my axe. 

Just took delivery of a case of Ernie Ball .010's in the green package. They came in the "Collector's Case". Bought it off of ebay England. 12 sets of strings, with delivery, came to about 75 dollars. I know that sounds expensive but, doing the math with prices here in Japan, I only paid about 8 bucks more than I would have had I bought them here separately.
MULLY
I read somewhere there are only 10,000 of these sets

31933220.jpg

Back