What kind of strings do you prefer?

What kind (not gauge) of strings do you prefer?

• Total voters
Superlizard said:
dudesweet157 said:
Snake Oil Brand pure nickels.

+100000000000

However, Dean has supply issues from time to time.

Best. Damn. Strings. On. A. Strat. EVER.

So, I do GHS Burnished (pure) Nickels.  10s.

Nickel plated steel is too tinny and metallic-y for my tastes.

Hey Superlizard, have you placed an order with Dean anytime soon and got a response or the goodsd?  I ordered 4 packs 6 months ago.  Paypal'ed the money and have never heard from him.  I've got a bunch of friends at the FDP that are having the same problem.  The strings really are of an absurdly higher quality than anything else out there, but shelling 9 bucks a pack to have them not show up isn't cool.  I've been using D'Addario pure nickels (they're new) recently, and they're just okay.

-Rose

dudesweet157 said:
Superlizard said:
dudesweet157 said:
Snake Oil Brand pure nickels.

+100000000000

However, Dean has supply issues from time to time.

Best. Damn. Strings. On. A. Strat. EVER.

So, I do GHS Burnished (pure) Nickels.  10s.

Nickel plated steel is too tinny and metallic-y for my tastes.

Hey Superlizard, have you placed an order with Dean anytime soon and got a response or the goodsd?  I ordered 4 packs 6 months ago.  Paypal'ed the money and have never heard from him.  I've got a bunch of friends at the FDP that are having the same problem.  The strings really are of an absurdly higher quality than anything else out there, but shelling 9 bucks a pack to have them not show up isn't cool.  I've been using D'Addario pure nickels (they're new) recently, and they're just okay.

-Rose

Gentlemen,

I'm curious what makes Dean Markley superior than D'Addario.  I gotta tell ya, I've tried them and, well, lets say I've stuck to D'Addario.  'Course that was 10 years ago when I tried them last.

So why are they better?  Last longer?  More consistent between packs? what'sthedeal?

mayfly said:
Gentlemen,

I'm curious what makes Dean Markley superior than D'Addario.  I gotta tell ya, I've tried them and, well, lets say I've stuck to D'Addario.  'Course that was 10 years ago when I tried them last.

So why are they better?  Last longer?  More consistent between packs? what'sthedeal?

It's not Dean Markley, but rather Dean Farley (actual name)... he's been in the string biz for decades, and had a major hand (IIRC) in "Scalar Strings" back in 80's (again, IIRC).

Dean Farley current produces "Snake Oil Brand" (or S.O.B.) strings.

What's so great about them?  I tried a set on a strat of mine, and they were the *clearest* sounding string I've ever heard.  BTW, that's "clearest" without a hint of harshness in the treble... smooth and clear.  They feel great and last as well.  They're "pure" nickel wrap too, of course.

How do I know so much about this?  Because he used to post on the Plexi Palace BBS (pink strat).

dudesweet157 said:

-Rose

I got a few packs from a friend; never ordered any.  But I've heard the same story as yours from many sources.

Best strings I've ever heard, but he's gotta tighten up big time with the biz end.

Superlizard said:
mayfly said:
Gentlemen,

I'm curious what makes Dean Markley superior than D'Addario.  I gotta tell ya, I've tried them and, well, lets say I've stuck to D'Addario.  'Course that was 10 years ago when I tried them last.

So why are they better?  Last longer?  More consistent between packs? what'sthedeal?

It's not Dean Markley, but rather Dean Farley (actual name)... he's been in the string biz for decades, and had a major hand (IIRC) in "Scalar Strings" back in 80's (again, IIRC).

Dean Farley current produces "Snake Oil Brand" (or S.O.B.) strings.

What's so great about them?  I tried a set on a strat of mine, and they were the *clearest* sounding string I've ever heard.  BTW, that's "clearest" without a hint of harshness in the treble... smooth and clear.  They feel great and last as well.  They're "pure" nickel wrap too, of course.

How do I know so much about this?  Because he used to post on the Plexi Palace BBS (pink strat).

Ah - that explains it.  I didn't want to say at the time, but Dean Markley are crap  :icon_biggrin:

I might try this Dean Farley guys' strings and see what they do on telecasters

Yeah, apparently he's pretty hit or miss on the business end.  I read his site and the man certainly appears very knowledgeable about strings.  I may have to try out a Tele set myself.

I don't know if Dean is swamped with business, or has been under the weather or what not, but for about the past year he hasn't shipped out any strings to anyone I know (mostly FDP guys) and some of them are well to do enough to try and order a couple packs each month in the hopes that they'll show up.  Like I said, ordered 4 packs 6 months ago, never heard from him and the strings never arrived.  However, before that, I'd ordered loads of strings from him.  Never got an order conformation email, but like clockwork, they always arrived a week or two later.  It really is a shame.

Ernie balls are the best! I use regular slinky 10 gauge.. never using any other string... ever!!

I'm going to try these on my strat and see how I like them:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EPN110-Pure-Nickel-Electric-Guitar-Regular-Light-Strings?sku=101845

they'd probably be too mellow for my LP, but might be good with my strat, since I find it to be very bright.

I'm also going to try these on my Parker for low tunings:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL145-Strings?sku=102246

I also own some sets of Pure Steels - I haven't tried them yet - I'm saving them for the day I jam with SuperLizard hahaha ;)

Ernie Ball .12-.56. Heck yes. I like feeling what I'm playing. If it doesn't hurt, it can't sound good, just like you've gotta play a vintage guitar to get any good tone. You know. Mojo.

But seriously, they sound amazing and give me strong fingers. Tried Blue Steels once and didn't really like 'em. Stuck with the Ernie Balls. Someday I wanna try going down to 11's just to see if I get a lot faster. Who knows...

Wow, I only use 12-54's on my acoustic.  But then again, I've been using 11-49's on my L5S (short scale).  I liked the sound and feel of them on a Gretsch.

I'm curious to hear how you like those "Pure Nickels" Gary.  IDK if I can get them at the local GC, but they seems to be much more accessible than the Snake Oils.

I tried a set of daddario pure nickel 11s on my strat, I thought they were kind of cool, they mellowed out the sound noticeably but it wasn't better, just different. I'm back to your basic Dadddario XL 10s on that guitar.

Well my strat needs a little mellowing  - I'm constantly either turning the tone down - or the volume, to take the edge off.

And I agree with dbw that nickle plated steel is the way to go with humbuckers. I bought the Pro-steels because my LP sounded so dark with the Custom bridge pickup, but now that I've changed that I don't feel like I need those strings. Never got to try them.

Back