What kind of strings do you prefer?

What kind (not gauge) of strings do you prefer?

• Total voters
D'Addarios mostly, sometimes GHS Nickel if I think it's going to help - "help" what I don't know.... I'm kind of psycho about string gauges, I play guitars with 24", 24.75" and 25.5" scales, and 7-strings, and 10-string pedal steel C6th - I have more loose strings than the local music store, for sure. I like the feel and tone of downtuned, heavy strings too (not grindcore metal riffage, not hardly). GHS makes a set called GB-LOW that's 11-53, designed with special cores to be tuned down a whole step. I always have at least one guitar with a wound 3rd G string on it, and another guitar tuned to C G D A E G, low to high - Robert Fripp's "New Standard Guitar Tuning" or "octo-mando" tuning or whatever you want to call it. I used to keep guitars around in different open tunings but I just got confused more than usual.

Here's a fun thread about tension:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/8340-optimum-string-gauge-sets.html
He researched D'Addario's string tension guide to determine what would be needed to get strings of equal tension - these listings are for a seven-string, obviously. The main conclusion is that most packaged sets have a low E that's way too small (and a wimpy low B on 7-string sets).

And b0b's pedal steel string gauge chart (drop these down each a few thousandths to find open guitar tunings):
http://www.b0b.com/infoedu/gauges.htm

D'Addario Pro Steels .009-.042 and regular D'Addario .012-.054. And D'Addario Pro Arte Normal Tension .028-.043 for my classical guitar.

Go back and forth between Daddario XL 10s, 10.5s, and Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys (9 to 46). I really need to make up my mind but I like each one for different reasons. For acoustic, you gotta try Martin SP phosphor bronze 12s. A dollar or so more expensive, but they make a very big difference. My bass has daddario flatwound somethings.

Fenders mostly, Super 250s or 3250 bullets, 10-46  (except for 3 that I string up 9-42). The basses are Fender too 7350 stainless 045-105, and I have a Pbass and a Jazz strung with flats. Acoustics are D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze 12-53 and the 12string gets...........err,  neglected :laughing7:

I keep coming back to D'addario nickels 11-52 for most of my guitars, and 9-42 boomers for my floyd-equipped tight-pants guitar.

My warmoth bari conversion tele is something of a struggle in this department. I've been using D'Addario bari strings, but the bass is a little slack. I don't think I can any thicker gauge string will fit in the tuner, though. Any suggestions?

Acoustic: Hannabach Flamenco high-tensions. I've had actual gut strings on back order for forever.

Wow...I'm surprised at how light the average string guage preference is - and amongst you supposed tone junkies?!   :laughing7:

I usually use D'Addario 11's or 12's.  I find 10's okay for recording and ease of rippage, but when I'm jamming out, I tend to play harder and the slinkier strings simply can't take the abuse.

I happen to always use nickel wounds, and although I may have used strings made of different materials before as well, I never really gave too much thought to the string material having a drastic effect on tone.  I just buy the D'Addario's cause they're cheap and they've worked for me so far.

By the way thanks CB for the link...pretty useful.

If I could find... .010 to .052 or .055 for a reasonable price, I'd do 'em

One thing tho - uneven string tension can give ya fits on the neck

CB Daddario makes a 10-52 set, I use them on my warmoth tele. Maybe you're referencing something different than just a nickel plated steel string. These are pretty standard. 5 bucks.

http://www.cambridgemusic.com/browse.cfm/4,202.htm

D addario .010-.046 for E standard. 13-56 for B standard. I used to use Dean Markley blue steels, they were too bright lost tone quick and destroyed frets cause they are super stiff.

Alfang said:
-CB- said:
Ya know... Ernie Ball and D'Addario dont make any nickel wrap strings... only nickel plated.

the package of D'Addario strings I hold in my hand says   "Nickle wound" If thats different than nickle wrap i dont know, I assume both terms mean the same thing.

So I am gonna choose to believe the package the strings came in      anyway, who cares

Yeah D Addario says nickel wound on the front but on the back it says Nickelplated Steel

DR 11s.  Feel like 10s and great tone.

Since we're on the subject, has anyone noticed any weirdness when intonating the wound strings using DRs?  I had 4 sets in a row that were strange.  The 12th fret harmonics were not anywhere close to the pitch of the open string, no matter how far I adjusted the saddle.  An extreme example is a low 'E' string's octave harmonic that was 12 cents sharp.  I ended up intonating by comparing the open string to the 12th fret. 

And to make sure it was just the strings, I popped on a set of D'Addarios, and the problem went away.

I use Peterson's Strobosoft tuning software on my PC, however I rechecked my findings on a Boss needle tuner, and a mechanical Conn Strobotuner

When setting the intonation, don't you tune the note at the 12th fret to the open harmonic?

Nah, not accurate enough.

Try this. 

Tune adjacent strings, say E and A such that the A at fret 8 is a zero beat tune to the octave of the open E.  Now play the 12th fret harmonic of the E and the 20th fret of the A.  Should still be zero beat unison.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough.

Regardless of the intonation compared to the other strings, wouldn't one think that the harmonic at the 12th fret be very close or identical in pitch (except an octave higher) to the unfretted string?  I've had this experience with multiple sets of DR brand strings.  Imagine tuning an open string, then having the 12th fret harmonic to be considerably sharp or flat.

Normally I would just chalk it up to a bad string, but to have it happen on four sets in a row was odd. 

Yes, the most common way of intonating is adjusting the saddle so the 12th fret harmonic is identical to the fretted 12th fret pitch.  I intonate that way(usually), then tune the guitar using CB's method.  Works great.

I've provoked apoplectic meemies by saying this, but I've learned to set my intonation when my strings are a little "aged", so to speak. If you're going to change your strings every day, religiously setting the intonation on brand new strings makes sense, but they're going to go "out" on you as the strings age. Since I play four guitars at gigs regularly, I don't always have the newest strings... In theory, if you're going to change your strings every 7 days you should set the intonation at 3.5 days to get the best average, but I find most of the pertinent string aging happens in the first two days. Guitarists who learned "setting intonation"out of a book always argue with me, but guitarists who gig a lot and don't have roadies, guitar techs and loads of money know exactly what I'm talking about. Or you can set it with new strings, always a good idea if you've changed brands, then re-set it after a couple of days so you can still play in tune. I wish I was rich.

Back