What kind of strings do you prefer?

What kind (not gauge) of strings do you prefer?

• Total voters
Stubhead, good point, that makes sense to me, might be a small difference, but if your splitting hairs that seems to be the way to do it.

Groovydude- how do you like the peterson PC software?  Do you think it's accurate, is the readout or display steady enough to feel confident in setting intonation?

I am considering a peterson strobe tuner because I think that the strobe tuners are more stable, and able to reject them floating random signals.

I set intonation like ibob74, I don't understand exactly what CB is saying, CB at what point are you fretting a string, or are you just tuning?
At some point you gotta compensate for stretching strings,

Excuse my ignorance, what does "zero beat tune to the octave of open E" and ":zero beat unison" mean? Please explain again in english.
I've read many books and articles on setting intonation, have never seen or heard anything close to what you are saying.

Alfang, "beats" are the 'wahwahwah' sound you hear when two notes are nearly identical, but just slightly off and competing against one another. Think about tuning your guitar using 5th and 7th fret harmonics. You listen till that sound goes away, till you hear no more 'beats'. Zero beats would mean perfect tune.

Nathan, thanks, I understand that now,
but I still don't see how you set intonation that way?

D'Addario wound thirds, and FYI CB, D'Addario DOES make pure nickel wound strings (but I don't know anyone who uses them).

Rotosound, Blue Steel, or DR Hi-beams, whichever I can find/afford whenever I need strings, but generally Blue steels on my 4's and DRs on my 5

Oh, and I've been using Elixers on my "regular" guitars with pretty good results (I didn't like the idea of having to keep changing strings on my 6-strings which I rarely play out of the house).

D'Addario (misspelled probably)  I buy 9-54 7 string gtr strings and don't use the .009

Short answer 11-54 wound 3rd tuned down 1/2 step for our low singer.

Anything free or cheap, otherwise
Nickel Plated D'addario XL STeel Round Wound Regular Light
or Dean Markley Blue Steels.

jw5150 said:
D'Addario (misspelled probably)  I buy 9-54 7 string gtr strings and don't use the .009

Short answer 11-54 wound 3rd tuned down 1/2 step for our low singer.

Cool idea!  I might try to get a more stable de-tune.

D'Addario EXL 116s .011-.052, standard tuning, though they're supposed to be for drop tune. They stretch in fast, stay in tune great and have monster tone.

It can be hard finding 11s in Hong Kong, so every time I see them I buy them all and keep them in the refrigerator. So far, it has made the store keep restocking them... Just like I planned!

whitebison66 said:
D'Addario EXL 116s .011-.052, standard tuning, though they're supposed to be for drop tune. They stretch in fast, stay in tune great and have monster tone.

It can be hard finding 11s in Hong Kong, so every time I see them I buy them all and keep them in the refrigerator. So far, it has made the store keep restocking them... Just like I planned!

You can make your strings last longer by keeping them in the fridge?

jalbertochavez said:
whitebison66 said:

You can make your strings last longer by keeping them in the fridge?

No.

But part of me wants to say yes, as long as you keep the entire guitar in the fridge  :evil4:

I use D'addario on my electrics and Elixir nanowebs on my acoustics. Love the Elixirs  :icon_thumright:

dudesweet157 said:
Snake Oil Brand pure nickels.

+100000000000

However, Dean has supply issues from time to time.

Best. Damn. Strings. On. A. Strat. EVER.

So, I do GHS Burnished (pure) Nickels.  10s.

Nickel plated steel is too tinny and metallic-y for my tastes.

Back