what is the deal with basswood

John Suhr refers to a basswood body, maple top, maple neck as the holy grail of tone. He knows a thing or two about guitars. :icon_tongue:

I was thinking of getting a Warmoth soloist with that combo of woods & sticking in a set of PAF Pros.

Doughboy said:
John Suhr refers to a basswood body, maple top, maple neck as the holy grail of tone. He knows a thing or two about guitars. :icon_tongue:

I was thinking of getting a Warmoth soloist with that combo of woods & sticking in a set of PAF Pros.

He's got the skins on the wall, but for me the body's softness, even with a Maple cap, is more of an issue than the tone.  Besides, if it's the Holy Grail of tone...which tone?  If Ibanezes with Basswood bodies, Maple necks, and 25.5" scales sound nothing like my CIJ Tele with Basswood body, Maple neck, and 25.5" scale which have basically the same foundation, it's more than what the body is made out of, and I'd rather have something a little sturdier.

Doughboy said:

That would sound exactly like a PGM301, which is a very good thing :)

I'm sure that the maple top would half to be a cap if it was going to make any sort of difference at all. I hope that your soloist is a carved top.

Back