:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• 15092007(003).jpg
    15092007(003).jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 396
Graffiti62 said:
Jusatele said:
I think Cadillac is leading the GM reform

they are about the most innovative branch they have and yes they are attracting a younger audience with some nice products.

But since getting the Crossfire, (basically a Mercedes badged Chrysler) if have a real appreciation for Mercedes products. Just the price is so up there.

Is your Crossfire a ragtop or hardtop?
hardtop

AGWANANA-RAMA said:
LOL.

the Crossfire is a Chrysler badged Nissan.

I'm glad to hear that the rapidly killed Crossfire. which was more or less a 350 Z chassis minus all the awesome parts. lives on somewhere.
shows how little you know

the cross fire is a Mercedes 320 slK chassis and drive train with a Kharman body on it, Share 80 %of its parts with the SLK, it is made in Germany and imported to America to be sold by Chyrsler. Runs a 3.2 liter Mercedes V6, and has never been associated with Nissan

if you do not believe such, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Crossfire

I've worked on the damn car, and I've worked on Z's.

its the same Chassis. though the Crossfire chassis/body/wiring is just... a nasty mess. and the body makes no sense. and a lot of the parts aren't the same.

I'm glad you get a Mercedes engine. the ones I've worked on had an ugly Chrysler looking mess of an engine. but even post split its gotten hard to tell Pentastar from Daimler. so I couldn't tell you who made the parts on it. I've seen plenty of both.

all I know is my little 08 Scion xB seems to smoke Crossfire off the line. perhaps it has to do with who drives Crossfires. or how they're built. but I'm not a brand nut. I think a good car is a godd car no matter who makes it.

but having fixed crossfires. I think they're a hot mess.

funny, when I have to buy parts I get to pick between mercedes of chysler, nissan is never mentioned,  you lose.

AGWANANA-RAMA said:
I've worked on the damn car, and I've worked on Z's.

its the same Chassis. though the Crossfire chassis/body/wiring is just... a nasty mess. and the body makes no sense. and a lot of the parts aren't the same.

I'm glad you get a Mercedes engine. the ones I've worked on had an ugly Chrysler looking mess of an engine. but even post split its gotten hard to tell Pentastar from Daimler. so I couldn't tell you who made the parts on it. I've seen plenty of both.

all I know is my little 08 Scion xB seems to smoke Crossfire off the line. perhaps it has to do with who drives Crossfires. or how they're built. but I'm not a brand nut. I think a good car is a godd car no matter who makes it.

but having fixed crossfires. I think they're a hot mess.

I don't know how many of you have access to BBC America, but Top Gear reviewed this car, and did not have nice things to say about it. The best line I heard was about the roofline on the hardtop resembling a dog's back when he's pushing his morning grumpy.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sowmf0Iu7GY[/youtube]

This is why I'm not a fan of Chryslers, especially from about the time they merged with Mercedes to just prior to the bankruptcy. Their styling department has normally produced a very attractive product (how many people jumped on those 300s when they came out), but the engineering never seems to hold up, and when you look over it with a fine comb, you can always tell where accountants told them to use a cheaper, lighter, flimsier material. My mom had a PT Cruiser that was just an awful little piece of equipment. The seats were like riding on park benches, changing gears always felt like you were trying to break a tree branch (it was a manual), the suspension was too stiff and bouncy, in my opinion, as a grocery getter, and the plastic parts on the exterior were subject to recall due to premature UV damage from the sun. The real irritation about the car was how Chrysler sold it--it was a Neon (same engine block and nearly identical frame components) that they classified as being a truck!  If you remember, the PT came out at the same time as the Hemi, and this helped to bring the EPA rating down just enough to introduce a big, thirsty V8 that young men all over the country love so much. This meant that, at least in Wisconsin, where registration is at a fixed price ($75/yr for car, $90/yr for truck), my parents had to pay $15 extra dollars a year to register a syled Neon hatchback.

Thankfully, I have a Dodge that's over ten years old. The air conditioning needs a fluid replacement, and you need a day off and a mission statement to replace the plug wires and distributor cap, but with it being a bare-bones 2WD work truck, there's nothing fancy or extreme that can go wrong--its just a truck, in the most spartan sense.

I love Top Gear. I follow it like it was a religion. Actually I muted the TV to watch that review and I can hear my mom's watching Top Gear right now in the other room :icon_biggrin: But to be fair I wouldn't trust any "review" that they have. They're a comedy show filled with supercars. That being said, they're right about Chrysler. They suffer from the same thing other US car companies do, cutting corners and keeping prices up because they know people want to buy an "American car" here in the US.

I love the car, I compared it next to a  5th generation Vette and chose it. It has great pickup,fantastic handleing, not the best but really good. gets great fuel mileage, does 95 plus to Vegas, has a trunk which the vette did not. It also is very street friendly around town which the vette is not.
I would buy one again. It is a very usable vehicle, I can throw a amp in the trunk and 2 guitars in the passenger seat and go do a gig.
The vette I would have trouble with the amp.

Now remember shows like to rate cars in a niche, I need a car I can use.

I would buy another if it was still produced. It is a car I can use to commute ( I do not as I use it as a weekend car to keep mileage off it } and I can go to the grocery store, or go play. The vette was to narrow focused. If I wanted a pure  sports car, no,but then I would no get a vette either,I would go exotic.

the car competes with daily a class of daily driver sporty cars like the vette. and it does it well enough to have track days just for crossfires at race tracks.

what can I say?

Even though I don't drive one, I thought we should add bikes to the mix.  Me and my 2003 Victory V92C Classic Cruiser:

Attachments

• Stanley Cone 03.jpg
    Stanley Cone 03.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 264
Jusatele said:
funny, when I have to buy parts I get to pick between mercedes of chysler, nissan is never mentioned,  you lose.

First. LOOK UP what CHASSIS means.

When I've ordered parts for Crossfires most of them were neither Mercedes Or Chrsyler, some were Daimler-Chrysler, others just Chrysler.

I am full aware that the gearbox for the Crossfire should be a Mercedes unit. but most of the parts I ordered were Aisin, Dana-Spicer and even a bit of Denso.

bodywise it is a full Chrysler joint. Mechanically its a mixed pot. but that subframe the body is built into. is clearly a repurposed Z. so many wasted holes in it. and so may parts of it seem an after thought.

as for handling. I always felt crossfires were geared really economically. even for an automatic they seemed geared for fat guys in their 40's who can finally afford an entry level sports car. the rear end was twitchy and the body roll severe.

I do not like this car. the Z is far from perfect. but its bad manners always lent it an air of adventure. with the Crossfire, it shares virtually none of the drivetrain with the Z. It has a much cheaper drivetrain.

so it comes across like a senile, confused Z. not some high level sports car.

that being said. I hate Vettes. they're a great car.... but they've never been one I enjoyed driving.

JaySwear said:
I love Top Gear. I follow it like it was a religion. Actually I muted the TV to watch that review and I can hear my mom's watching Top Gear right now in the other room :icon_biggrin: But to be fair I wouldn't trust any "review" that they have. They're a comedy show filled with supercars. That being said, they're right about Chrysler. They suffer from the same thing other US car companies do, cutting corners and keeping prices up because they know people want to buy an "American car" here in the US.
Guess what? :icon_biggrin: On the 27th, I'm going to see Top Gear Live :blob7:

Agwin, Funny I put it next to my neighbors Z yesterday and it is not even close not even the same engine or wheelbase.

I think you are smoking crack

the nissans wheelbase is 10 inches longer, 94 for the Chrysler and 104 for the Z, and the Crossfire uses a 3.2 liter Mercedes engine from the SLK and the Z uses a 3.5 liter engine from Nissan
seems the Crossfire is made in Germany and the Nissan is made in Japan

Can find no reference to the Nissan and Chrysler having the same chassis in any major car website but have found that most of them say the Crossfire is a Mercedes 320 SLK with a Kharman body.

now as far as who makes a few replacement parts for it, I am sure I can find a lot of companies making parts for all kinds of makes of cars, but that does not mean the car is made by that company, Just that a aftermarket part was made by it.

I cannot give you the entire engine history of the vehicle either as it did have the SRT-6 option with a supercharger and I do not know what engine that is, but I have a Mercedes 3.2 which it came with stock. Somehow, with 10 inches difference in wheelbase, and the suspension being the same as the SLK I am sure that I can tell you it is not a Nissan chassis. especialy seeing how they are built 1/2 the world apart. Weather Asin makes replacement parts? does that mean Asin makes the chassis? I guess I can say that Mitsubishi makes Cadillac because I have bought a Mitsubishi brand alternator for my fathers Cadillac.

Guess what guys, Grover makes Gibson guitars, I have replaced the keys on my old SG with Grovers so it seems Grover makes Gibsons

that statement makes as much sense as that the Crossfire is made by Nissan because you have bought Asin or Dana Spicer parts for the tranny. Hell I buy Dana Spicer parts for all kinds of vehicles, they make great parts and great axles, probably the biggest maker of U joints in the world. But does that mean they make all those cars? or that they supply parts? 10 inches difference in wheelbase means a different chassis, not just repositioned parts.

Wont get into it all with you. but I do know about the wheelbase.

the Charger and the Challenger are on the same platform, same chassis. and they have VERY different wheelbases

I know damn well that none of those parts companies I listed made your car. I said that to prove the point when you said "every part for them is Chrsyler or Mercedes"

which is odd... as Chrysler and mercedes parts are not always branded that way. A lot of the parts I get sourced from them say "Pentastar" or "Daimler-Benz"

lastly. you seem to be totally unaware that Nissan and Chrysler have a business partnership much like Chrysler and Mercedes DID. there is a bit of sharing being done between the two companies.

I imagine the reason for using the subframe is that it was stiff and cheap.

Agwan, you make me laugh

good luck with rewritting specifications.

I will remember my 40 ish fat rear when you hit 40 and are stepping up from your Scion into a car for your fat rear

Gee, not like I've fixed Chryslers for a living. what would I know. if the internet doesn't say it. it cant be true.

I'm actually selling the scion, to travel abroad.

Cuz I'm young and I can do that.

Yes and I did when I was young, spent more time in the  orient and the middle east than here in America in the 80s and 90s,had a blast and made a ton of money, part of the reason I work so little today. Hope you have fun and broaden your mind, Travel is good and you learn so much about other cultures.

Agwan you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over your head here. The partnerships you are talking about are actually nothing alike. Mercedes bought Chrysler. Nissan and Chrysler are putting together a deal for a small fuel efficient car from Nissan like the Versa for a revamped Ram to be a Titan. This partnership didn't even take place until 2008 which is after the Z and Crossfire were introduced. Now surely someone with as much knoledge as you would realize that the cars in question do not even have a chassis. They use what is called a subframe. Now you should also know that with Chrysler offering 2 completely different engines for the car that 2 different subframes were also needed. By stating that these cars used the same subframe would also imply suspension components, especially control arms would at least bolt up if not be interchangeable. I'm sure all of this would be pretty easy to prove if it were the case. Don't ya think?

Pablo, I already knew everything you said, you didn't negate any of my points. and the current deals with Nissan are not the only deals. before the Fiat buyout there was a lot of trading with nissan over small car technologies.

Jusatele, Where in the orient? my main focus right now is Australia. but when I'm done there I was thinking about checking out Asia. hopefully Japan is doing a bit better by the time I can get there!

Hainan, Manilla, both for extended projects, Guangzhou to finish a Hotel, Was in Kuwait in 91 and 92 doing oilfield rebuilding and UAE after that.

Back