Wenge/Wenge & Wenge/MacEbony VIP - PICS ADDED!!

The gap is suppose to be there....
22fret_sideview.jpg

tfarny said:
My bass has the same gap. Who notices such things while playing or listening to someone play? If it really bugs you, I would fashion a little block of ebony to fit in the spot, better than a risky pocket rerouting.

I agree!

The gap is actuallygoing to work out quite well.  I'm leaning towards putting a pickguard on this thing in the SG style.  It'll be smaller thanthe SG and less 'wavy', but it will essentially be replacing the pickup rings and I'll be using the pickup ring hole pattern to attach it to the body in case I want to remove it and go with standard pickup rings later.

It'll be small enough that it will sit on he falt part of the carved top.  It's still theoretical at this point, though.

a pickguard could be very cool, and i'd love to see how it would turn out. but check out www.pickuprings.com too. i think some wood pickup rings would look insane on that thing

just a thought. keep the pics coming! this thing looks awesome.

Well, just a quick update.  After waiting for my routing guy for 3 weeks, I finally got stir crazy and started the finish on the body and neck.  I'm doing 4-5 coats of tru-oil on everything except the back of the neck which I've given one coat and sanded back to near raw and obviously the fretboard, which will remain raw.

I'll update with pics as soon as I'm finished.  4th coat is drying as I type and I hope to have it buffed out and ready tomorrow afternoon.

Back