Something besides Roasted Maple

What exactly does the process of burnishing entail? Online search for "how to burnish wood" gives results that say it's basically an outdated technique that has been replaced by modern sandpaper. So burnishing is simply just sanding up to a very very high grit?

Actually, those would be wasted on such a thing. For one thing, highly flexible abrasives just don't seem cut as well on wood as the firmer stuff does, so 3M's "polishing papers" or those "micromesh" pads don't accomplish much. On the flip side, those two work great on metals, such as frets.

For the wood, you want something more along these lines. These are calle "finishing papers" as opposed to "polishing papers". Different backing, different abrasive. Designed for finish sanding, they also work great for burnishing hardwoods.

Finally, going much beyond 2000 grit doesn't seem to return much, either. You'll notice diminishing returns at about the 1500 grit, but it's worth going to the 2K. Thing is, wood is just too porous to get much finer than that.

Interesting. Thanks for all the useful info. I originally bought the pads to polish an oil finish so hopefully i can still get use out of them for that

I'm not sure how well they'll work on an oil finish, as that's not really a super-hard finish. They're liable to load up and get useless real fast. But, those Micromesh pads will work miracles on your frets. Take the time to tape off your fretboard, though. While they don't cut wood as well as one might hope, they'll still sorta scuff it if run against the grain, which you'll do if running side-to-side as you should. It's more work and somewhat tiring, but you really want to cut/polish perpendicular to the neck, not parallel (lengthwise) like you see a lotta folks do with steel wool or other kinds of paper.

Back to the OP:
I might be chiming in a little late to this one, but I've got three necks with different woods: Pao Ferro/Pao Ferro, Roasted Maple/Roasted Maple, and Canary Ebony.

I got the Pao Ferro for my Surfcaster build and totally love it. it's my favorite of all three necks, especially after I burnished it. I got the Roasted Maple to replace a Birdseye Maple that I was selling to a friend. A little surprisingly, the RM feels very close to the Pao Ferro, especially after I burnished it a bit; smooth and glassy and not sticky at all. Both have closed pores and weigh in at about the same weight, tuners and LSR nut included. Both are bright sounding necks, but the Pao Ferro has a depth to it that the RM doesn't, especially in the upper midrange.

The Canary/Ebony is also a great neck, is a little heavier than the other two, and has a definite bump in the lower midrange. Although that may be attributable to the body being Swamp Ash and the other two are Alder.

Based on your mockup, I don't think the Canary would work as well for what you have in mind color-wise, but the Pao Ferro might be worth a look.

MikeW said:
Back to the OP:
I might be chiming in a little late to this one, but I've got three necks with different woods: Pao Ferro/Pao Ferro, Roasted Maple/Roasted Maple, and Canary Ebony.

I got the Pao Ferro for my Surfcaster build and totally love it. it's my favorite of all three necks, especially after I burnished it. I got the Roasted Maple to replace a Birdseye Maple that I was selling to a friend. A little surprisingly, the RM feels very close to the Pao Ferro, especially after I burnished it a bit; smooth and glassy and not sticky at all. Both have closed pores and weigh in at about the same weight, tuners and LSR nut included. Both are bright sounding necks, but the Pao Ferro has a depth to it that the RM doesn't, especially in the upper midrange.

The Canary/Ebony is also a great neck, is a little heavier than the other two, and has a definite bump in the lower midrange. Although that may be attributable to the body being Swamp Ash and the other two are Alder.

Based on your mockup, I don't think the Canary would work as well for what you have in mind color-wise, but the Pao Ferro might be worth a look.
I'm always inclined to go with contrast, so I think all Canary would jive well with the black...IMO

I have a Bubinga neck on a strat that Cagey fretted and burnished for me. Smooth as glass. I like that guitar a lot. And its black.

Attachments

• Blk strat with Bubinga neck.JPG
    Blk strat with Bubinga neck.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 241
musicispeace said:
I have a Bubinga neck on a strat that Cagey fretted and burnished for me. Smooth as glass. I like that guitar a lot. And its black.
I've always wanted a bubinga neck, I need to get one. Also want an all Ziricote neck too... :laughing7:

I have a one-piece Ziricote neck that I'm gonna have to move. I think I put 6100SS frets on it. I'll have to dig it out and take some pics, see if it's something you can put to use.

Cagey said:
I have a one-piece Ziricote neck that I'm gonna have to move. I think I put 6100SS frets on it. I'll have to dig it out and take some pics, see if it's something you can put to use.
Oh, I can always put one to use...yes please... :turtle:

Cagey said:
My one question about it would be the headstock shape...?

Been a while since I looked at it so I don't remember offhand, but it'll either be a Warhead or a Strat. I rarely buy anything else. 1 11/16" nut. Inserts.

DangerousR6 said:
Cagey said:
Been a while since I looked at it so I don't remember offhand, but it'll either be a Warhead or a Strat. I rarely buy anything else.
:icon_thumright:
Both are good. Inserts make it a total winner. :headbang:

It's a unique part. Not sure I've ever seen another one-piece in that wood. As I recall, it's currently matched up to a carved-top Soloist in white pearl. Big plans there, never finished.

Cagey said:
It's a unique part. Not sure I've ever seen another one-piece in that wood. As I recall, it's currently matched up to a carved-top Soloist in white pearl. Big plans there, never finished.
It's not one you see in one piece very often...

beside  Maple , neck can be without finishing, I have try : Indian Rosewood / Bocote / Ebony / Padouk / Wenge .

I find Indian Rosewood and  Wenge are best sounding tone wood for neck , for my experience.

Back