Warmoth SG-X

Jasonn

just got the body and neck Friday.
1qpcec.jpg

2pte5qt.jpg

k9f58m.jpg

309lulg.jpg

and question about the last pic, is that normal or did they mess up?  and how do i know if they made the angled neck pocket?  it seems wrong to me.

Hummm why the 3 holes from pot are not matching the distance between them? Warmoth did it?

I've answered about the neck on the other thread....

Looks cool!
WHat is the finish going on this??

I like this:
IMGP1389.jpg

yeah i wasnt planning on having to put a pickguard under it.  it just seems like it should be level.

Jasonn said:
yeah i wasnt planning on having to put a pickguard under it.  it just seems like it should be level.

yeah,but it isnt. deal with it. they're replacement PARTS, and they're called that way for a reason.

if it bothers you you could probably just take a bit off the neck pocket on the body to make it level, just take your time if you decide to do that though, what are your plans for finishing it anyway? a finish will help close the gap, a little bit anyway

Orpheo said:
Jasonn said:

yeah,but it isnt. deal with it. they're replacement PARTS, and they're called that way for a reason.

WOW, not a very nice response to the question posed.  I am in the process of having my neck finished and can't wait to get the whole package to build my first Wormoth, but with a response like this, I may not want to post any questions.

lafromla1 said:
Orpheo said:
Jasonn said:

WOW, not a very nice response to the question posed.  I am in the process of having my neck finished and can't wait to get the whole package to build my first Wormoth, but with a response like this, I may not want to post any questions.

don't be so sensitive... Orpheo is just being blunt. What he should have said is that these necks and bodies are basically strats, and this is how strats are. You're going to have a gap there because that's how these parts are designed with a flat top body. If you get a carved top, the gap is much less. I had a warmoth star body and there was a gap just like that one. Never caused any problems. 

lafromla1 said:
Orpheo said:
Jasonn said:

oh boy... I'd almost say no woman no cry, huh? Listen, you're not the first, only, or last one who asked this. people have extraordinary wishes and more importantly, expectations of warmoth. when you've got a neck which is bend, like, I believe, godrex had on his les paul, yeah, you're absolutely entitled to go on a rampage about warmoth. but if its this, stand still for a moment, and try to figure out WHY this might be, and figure out what warmoth actually is. its a custom replacementpartsshop. the fact that we kind-off use it as a cheap customshop, is our business.

but in the christmas spirit, thats on our hands, I will say: sorry, didnt mean to hurt your feelings.

The gap is there because originally the dimensions of the neck and the neck pocket are intended to work with a pickguard. Of course, with a fancy rear routed body you don't want to cover up your expensive real estate with a piece of crappy plastic. So how about using just a small piece of pickguard material, only to fill up the gap underneath the fretboard extension? If you use black without contrasting laminations it should be next to invisible. And since it would be completely covered by the fretboard extension, it wouldn't cover any part of the body that isn't already covered.

ByteFrenzy said:
The gap is there because originally the dimensions of the neck and the neck pocket are intended to work with a pickguard. Of course, with a fancy rear routed body you don't want to cover up your expensive real estate with a piece of crappy plastic. So how about using just a small piece of pickguard material, only to fill up the gap underneath the fretboard extension? If you use black without contrasting laminations it should be next to invisible. And since it would be completely covered by the fretboard extension, it wouldn't cover any part of the body that isn't already covered.

So much nicer for the holiday spirit... now lets all have a beer and listen to some good music :eek:ccasion14:

NonsenseTele said:
Hummm why the 3 holes from pot are not matching the distance between them? Warmoth did it?

I've answered about the neck on the other thread....

Looks cool!
WHat is the finish going on this??

I like this:
IMGP1389.jpg

Nonsense Tele; is this SG a warwoth build?

Hi there

I had the same issue with a carved top LPS earlier this year. Some people can live with the gap, some (including me) would prefer not to have it.

Options include filling the gap or lowering the neck. I chose to lower the neck by increasing the depth of the neck pocket. I actually took a little too much out and had to rebuild it with an epoxy/wood dust mixture. The end result was well worth the effort and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

A couple of things to take into account:

You will need to use shorter screws to attach the neck.

You can adjust the neck angle at this point to suit your bridge selection, playing comfort, etc.

Be aware that neck pocket adjustment is not a trivial exercise and it may well be worth taking to a luthier.

There is also a mindset issue. The parts do not constitute a "kit", ready for assembly. Rather, they are a basis for you to achieve a personal result, ie. a shortcut to having your own custom made guitar. In some cases, very little modification may be needed, in others it may be more extensive, depending on what you want out of it in the end.

That said, I have to admit to being surprised by the fretboard gap when I first encountered it as well. A deeper neck pocket option would be nice to have for carved-top guitars and others that are not going to have a scratchplate. I don't know how difficult this is to implement, but it may be worth some consideration.

Hope this helps.

Serious, I don't think most of guys can brake a fingerboard's blank in the middle of it... imagine just a small part, with a good support with just one hand, the WEAK hand...

I know, I have my crazes too, but I don't think they would sell something that would brake easy... As far as I'm conserned, Ken has somewhat of my age of woodworking... To me this means something  :icon_biggrin:

Some of the people on here are a little too sensitive, i could care less about how blunt you are with your answer and would actually prefer the blunt answers.  But unfortunately some people don't.

i talked to spike about all of this stuff a while back anyways he says he doesn't like the gap either and has the necked pocket lowered to get rid of it.  but its so little it doesn't even matter. 

I did decide on the color im using the Daphne blue from reranch.  The paint is taking a little longer than i expected its been almost two weeks now.

Ang3lus said:
does it matter if the neck is not level with the body?
yeah sure! haven't you heard the story yet?! Forumlid SlapgeLul (dutch guys will understand the joke) told the story of his strat with the space beneath the fretboard. no tone! no sustain!! but when he put a pickguard on the guitar, even if it was rear routed, he got his sustain back, the tone was aliveeeee!!!!

Back