Warmoth Sale Bass Build

knucklehead G said:
I'm normally only a fan of natural relics, but yours has the somewhat unusual quality of not looking like it was purchased new and dragged behind a truck down a dirt road. I like it.

:kewlpics:

My brother in law has the truck this week. I'll only be able to drag the bass behind it this weekend  :headbang1:

But seriously, yes, that very definitely was my objective. I actually think the body is still too subtle. The HW is fine and so is the neck, but the wear on the body isn't quite there yet. Of course it's always easier to add some more wear than to remove it.

ByteFrenzy said:
I actually think the body is still too subtle. The HW is fine and so is the neck, but the wear on the body isn't quite there yet. Of course it's always easier to add some more wear than to remove it.

Nothing a little 0000 Steel Wool in the right places can't take care of.

ByteFrenzy said:
DSC_6633s.JPG

Nice work
Did you use router to bevel the edges on the pick guard ?. Looks like the premium Warmoth tortois shell stuff.
You obviously know what you are doing but I'm asking because it looks like there is'nt really clean layer seperations in the beveled edges.
I'm planning on doing mine soon with (the same ?)  Warmoth pickgaurd sheet/material...$34.00 a sheet....ouch !
Just wondering.............

alotawatts said:
ByteFrenzy said:

Nice work
Did you use router to bevel the edges on the pick guard ?. Looks like the premium Warmoth tortois shell stuff.
You obviously know what you are doing but I'm asking because it looks like there is'nt really clean layer seperations in the beveled edges.
I'm planning on doing mine soon with the same Warmoth pickgaurd sheet/material...$34.00 a sheet....ouch !
Just wondering.............

The pickguard was routed by Warmoth, the standard '51 pattern. I expect that this is the exact same material as their blanks. Stew Mac have a router bit for pickguards that will do the same bevel, so you could achieve something very similar. In this case, I did create some random dings on the pickguard edges, and I ran a rag moistened with some diluted eboy stain along the edges to make the white layer look older. The finished pickguard was $50,00, and the first thing I did when I received it was to rip of the protective film and attack it with a kife, a coarse file, some sandpaper and some 0000 steel wool. I wanted to turn myself in for vandalism afterwards.

Finally got to spend two weeks in a house with a pool. Everybody here knows you can't take decent pictures of a guitar without a pool for a backdrop. So I proudly present the '51 Single Coil Bass in pool attire.
And yes, I know what's missing. Doug still needs to make me a neck plate, but I wasn't sure about the design until now. I wanted to make a 'vintage' version of my design but I couldn't come up with a good one. I'm gonna stay with the old one.

DSC_6960.jpg

DSC_6967.jpg

DSC_6970.jpg

DSC_6972.jpg

DSC_6975.jpg

DSC_6978.jpg

DSC_6986.jpg

DSC_6988.jpg

DSC_6991.jpg

DSC_6992.jpg

perfect! seriously, perfect. i was a little upset when i saw a reddish tortoise pickguard instead of a flat black one, but this turned out AWESOME! the relic'ing looks better than wear that most boutique companies offer. great bass!

That is about the best relic job I have ever seen. 
I am not normally a fan of the relic look, but that is sweeeeet...
Great work!
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Back