Iron and Copper Patina Build

tgorman

This is my first attempt at making a guitar. I'm not a musician and have no plans to become one, but I am a hobbiest woodworker.  A family member (who is a musician and not a woodworker) asked me to parallel build a guitar with him.  So, with his knowledge of sourcing parts and my knowledge and inventory of woodworking tools, we set off.  I was planning to just build a basic guitar since I have no plans to actually play although I did in high school and college.  But once I got looking into parts and finishes, I thought, "...for not much more money I could have a very nice guitar."  Which led me to Warmoth because I did not want to build a neck.  I think that is a bit of a stretch for my skill set.  So I am currently awaiting arrival of my custom Warmoth neck.  But we ordered body blanks and some templates and got to work. 

Now to why I think most will not like this build.  When I was choosing a color, at first I picked a Fender Factory color.  But thought, why go through all of this work to build a custom guitar and have it look like every other guitar off the shelf.  I love rust. I love patina. Especially when under that rust and patina is high quality modern tech.  Think rusty old farm truck with an LSx power plant, power steering, etc.  I was introduced to actual iron and copper paint with patina years ago and fell in love and thought this would be perfect for me.  So the finish you see, is actual iron rust and copper patina.  The down side is, you can't sand it.  So the finish is rough.  I did smooth it out a lot with the clear coat (spraymax 2k) and after this build I think I can get it glass smooth with some different techniques.  The clear also darkened the rust quite a bit, but don't think there is anything I can do about that.  That said, while not glass flat, it is very silky smooth and soft to the touch.  I personally love it and think it is fitting for the finish.  The inside of the pockets I finished with the 6 layers of the copper paint to help act as a faraday cage.  On to the pics.... 

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11
NILCAZM.jpeg

HmAP9xW.jpeg

KnpCCHU.jpeg

i4eN3WV.jpeg

W5w3Mv6.jpeg

vBEPAbB.jpeg

VXxXRrZ.jpeg

OXPFkfk.jpeg

ksVjPu2.jpeg

This is the fret board which will be on roasted Maple.  The electronics will be black on black Mojo Tone '58 Quiet Coil.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 3.39.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 3.39.36 PM.png
    276 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing this progress and we like different stuff here as well as more traditional looking builds.

It is easy enough to show your photos.

Right click on your Imgur image and Copy your Image link.

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/WITPXXT.jpg

Paste it in the post. Highlight it click the little camera icon to surround it with img tags

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/WITPXXT.jpg[/IMG]

Click post and it will look like this...

WITPXXT.jpg

That is insanely cool.

I highly approve of the recessed jack plate too!  :icon_thumright:

Very Interestingggg....................... :headbang:            Must continue observing progress............ :glasses9:

Thank you.  Sadly, I didn't go deep enough (that's what she said) the finish ended up thicker than expected. Im trying to decide if I should sand until flush or leave it.  It won't be that bad once screwed down, but won't be perfect.

tgorman said:
Thank you.  Sadly, I didn't go deep enough (that's what she said) the finish ended up thicker than expected. Im trying to decide if I should sand until flush or leave it.  It won't be that bad once screwed down, but won't be perfect.

I'd leave it.  Given that distressed/corroded look, imperfections will make it perfect.

I've only been on this forum a short time, but what I've learned is that this community values creativity (and like the Mars missions, spirit, curiosity, opportunity, and perseverance ;) ). And like you've probably experienced in your woodworking efforts, you learn from everyone, even if someone else has a radically different style than your own.

I'm a metal guy, but that doesn't mean I can't learn music techniques from jazz and classical, blues and alt-rock folks.  I've seen tons of phenomenal guitar builds here that were of themes not even on my radar, but were interesting enough to be able to pick out bits and pieces that I'd like to learn how to incorporate into my own projects.

What matters is what resonates and appeals to you. What I appreciate about this community is that there will be support for these efforts, regardless of whether it's a style that fits into any particular community member's repertoire or not.

I'm sure my total-metal black pointy meedly-meedly* guitar isn't something that would be found in quite a few members' collections, but they still supported and encouraged me along the way anyway. That's what keeps me coming back here, that I continue to learn from and be inspired by everyone, whether the grizzled old veterans or first-time builders who are now just posting but has been working on a wholly unique project this entire time.

* I should edit; the way that guitar is tuned and set up, it's not a meedly-meedly guitar.  It's a djent instrument. :D

That is seriously Bitchin'  !  I love the color and the texture as well. I dub thee, Farm Guitar.

Finally got some parts in.  Although, I pivoted away from the Mojotone kit when I got the message of yet again more delayed parts and new timelines.  So I went with this EMG set up and hopefully the Warmoth neck will ship in the next two weeks.... I hope.

hL52DXT.jpg

cPRfxMr.jpg

The lesson here is a larger drill press, mine did not have a deep enough throat, so I hand drilled and the bit walked all over.  I may also pick up a press that you mount to a hand drill.

Doug (DangerousR6) could make you a plate to rectify that. Doug can make a plate for anything, actually. 

Antiqued copper hardware would be extremely cool.I was just wishing for more variety in hardware the other day. I have a project that would look so sweet in rose gold. Alas, there is only cheesy bling gold on most parts and a few things with an attractive gold plate , Schaller for one. Hard pressed to put a set together that actually matches.

wildbill92879 said:
Doug (DangerousR6) could make you a plate to rectify that. Doug can make a plate for anything, actually. 

Antiqued copper hardware would be extremely cool.I was just wishing for more variety in hardware the other day. I have a project that would look so sweet in rose gold. Alas, there is only cheesy bling gold on most parts and a few things with an attractive gold plate , Schaller for one. Hard pressed to put a set together that actually matches.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKb-mnr-KU[/youtube]

tgorman said:
Soooo, whatcha got?  :help:
Well, I guess there would be this for an option...

This won't help the straightness of the holes, but it will appear to visually...It would be the one on the bottom..But it would require the ferrels to come out and be routed to insert the block.
50944077571_1396034372_b.jpg

Back