warmoth P-J

Steve Camp

Here is my recently completed P-J project. I was going for an Early 60s vibe, I sprayed guitar re-ranch lake placid blue nitro laquer over a topcoat of kilz white shellac based primer, [warmoth light alder body] padouk neck w/ebony board, 6105 stainless steel frets. I did a very thin coat on the finish. [like the early fenders] 8 coats of  paint, 8 coats of clear. I used Lindy Fralin pick-ups, the bridge pickup is a split coil, noise canceling J- Type that is overwound by 5% for more low mids. the hardware is allparts/fender and schaller machines, CTS pots. switchcraft jack. this thing is loud,clear, articulate and growls like a pissed off rotweiler. here is the pic,                                                    http://www.fralinpickups.com/pics_cgp.asp?pix=9         

NonsenseTele said:
Nice bass! How does it sound comparing to traditional Fender?
it "feels" better, the unfinished 62 jazz profile padouk neck is great, the sustain is way better than fender, no dead spots, every note rings out, and the tone and clarity are superior.

Steve Camp said:
NonsenseTele said:
Nice bass! How does it sound comparing to traditional Fender?
it "feels" better, the unfinished 62 jazz profile padouk neck is great, the sustain is way better than fender, no dead spots, every note rings out, and the tone and clarity are superior.

And the open E note, sounds meaner/deeper or equal?

Nice one Steve..There's nothing like a Warmoth PJ..You should post that on the ReRanch forum.Killer LPB.

Cheers.

I was watching a TV program by funny man Martin Freeman (from the UK version of 'the Office') about Motown the other night, and on came a piece with the Funk Brothers (Motowns 'house band') and there was Bob Babbitt playing his Warmoth P-J.

Good looking bass well played.  Great smooth RnB sound.

Check it out on the BBC iPlayer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00gp3j1/The_Culture_Show_2008_2009_Martin_Freeman_Goes_to_Motown/

niceaxe.gif

Looks great.
Straight Fender P bass vibe with an exotic neck.
Do you have any shots of the back? I am curious how well the Padouk contrasts the blue body.

Back