October 2018 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

GOM

We are now announcing the October 2018 Guitar of the Month contest!  October's contest will be "owner/non-professionally finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your unOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will added to this message, which is October's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted from now until exactly 7 days from now (please check this post's date and time), so get your cameras clicking!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post additional photos in any replies to this thread.  Links to other UW threads or external sites are fine. Links will not be included in the entry descriptions.

Please try to stick to the entry requirements:
1024x768 pixel images maximum as attachments please, not embedded in the email or linked to external sites.

Include your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name.

Owner or other non-professionally finished instruments only this month.

Sorry, but entries that do not meet these requirements may not be included in the contest. If you're having technical difficulties, get in touch!  (But only about contest entries please!)

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 spe111

Body is Warmoth black korina on alder

This was the first guitar I ever finished - the zero was stenciled on with acrylic and sanded, then I washed it with 1/3 white latex and 2/3 water and then wiped it off, sanded, then six coats of tru oil

Neck is Warmoth Brazilian ebony

SD JB and Jazz pickups with push/pull coil split

9Py0u2p.jpg

Pb0Qf3a.jpg

Guitar #2 Dano

George Harrison Tele Look-alike (almost)

Rosewood Telecaster Body
-Rosewood with Maple center laminate purchased from an individual in Brazil.
-Rough Finish and Routing by seller of Body.
-Finished by owner with multiple coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil
-Sanded / polished with sandpaper all the way down to 0000 steel wool between coats.
-Black 3-Ply Nylon Pickguard

Warmoth Indian Rosewood neck
-24-3/4" Gibson Scale Length Modification
-Modern Construction Neck (Truss Rod)
-6150 Jumbo SS Frets
-10" - 16" Compound Radius Neck
-Graphtech Black Tusk Nut XL Standard Nut
-Grover 505C 18:1 inline Locking Tuners

Electronics, etc.
-Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 Bridge Pickup
-Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Neck Pickup
-500k CTS Volume and Tone Potentiometers
-New Old Stock Russian PIO (Paper in Oil) 0.022uF Tone Capacitor
-Oak Grigsby 4-Way Blade – Bridge, Neck, Bridge + Neck, Bridge and Neck in Series)
-Switchcraft Output Jack
-Gotoh GTC202 Telecaster Guitar Bridge Tele Steel Saddles w screws - CHROME

WJVCQTn.jpg

KhQqPtk.jpg

Guitar #3 Rob91bob

The Musicaster

Body

Warmoth 7/8 size top route body blank in swamp ash
Cut to a cross between a Strat and Musiclander I had to enlarge the lower horn to fit the Strat 7/8 pickguard.
Paint - sprayed with a Rockler HVLP gun, Crystalac Sealer, BriteTone tinted with white pigment until semi-opaque and then added one drop of blue pigment. As close to Sonic Blue as I could get mixing by eye.
8 coats of Brite Tone  gloss clear, sanded and buffed.

Neck

Warmoth 24" Mustang neck in Maple and Rosewood, 12" radius, boat neck back.
Ordered with no inlay or frets. Mother of pearl thumbnails inlayed by hand and fretted with Evogold 6150 size. The headstock was cut down to resemble a Warhead with a compass rose inlay and waterslide. Neck is finished in matte nitrocellulose lacquer.

6gezEx8.jpg

n0lkWwo.jpg

Guitar #4 D.B

'Alternative Jazzmaster'

Body
Type - Jazzmaster
Wood - Roasted Alder
Pickups - Bare Knuckle Nailbomb Humbucker & Bareknuckle Supermassive P90
Controls - Volume, Tone, Tone
Pickup Selector - Switchcraft three-way toggle & Toggle switch to split humbucker
Bridge - Hipshot Hardtail
Neck Rout - Tele w/ 720 mod + Contoured Heel
Pickguard - Aged copper plate
Electronics - CTS 500k Volume & Tone Potentiometers, Jenson Paper/Oil & Orange Drop Caps

Finish
Nitrocellulose sanding sealer via Aerosol spray can (3 coats)
Nitrocellulose primer (Grey) via Aerosol spray can (1 can)
Cellulose satin colour coats via Aerosol spray can (1.5 cans)   
Nitrocellulose satin clear coats via Aerosol spray can (2 cans)

Finish was sanded repeatedly between most coats with a mixture of 400/800/1500 grit sandpaper.

Neck
Type - Tele (Modern Construction)
Shaft Wood - Padouk
Fretboard Material - Ebony (Black)
Neck Profile - 59 Roundback
Radius - 10-16 Compound
Frets - SS 6150
Nut - GraphTech Black TUSQ XL
Side Dots - Moonglow
Inlay - 12th Fret Only Moonglow
Tuners - Hipshot Grip-lock Open Staggered

QudYhQ5.jpg

OmEP0Y0.jpg

Guitar #5 vetteman

"Corellecaster"

Warmoth Alder partially routed body blank cut to custom shape
Upper bout is Les Paul shape, lower bout is dinner plate shaped.
Owner applied Duplicolor GM Light Pewter Metallic, Minwax
semi-gloss laquer topcoat.
Joe Barden bridge with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup.

Warmoth Padouk Gibson scale neck, unfinished.  SS frets and owner installed bone nut.  59 fatback contour.
Grover locking Rotomatic tuners.  Owner made pickguard and truss rod cover.

01BjDzf.jpg

QngqVxT.jpg

Guitar #6 Great Ape

Swamp Ash body
Wood burned & hand painted
TransTint dyed lime green

Maple neck
Ebony fingerboard
6150 frets
MOP block markers
Dyed to match body

TV Jones pickups
Q-Parts volume knob

2Scd6b5.jpg

NEcKC0M.jpg

Guitar #7 DMRACO

Body:
Custom tele body with Ambrosia Maple and Walnut top with poplar and walnut back
Slick P90 and GFS Single Coil sized humbucker (tapped for single coil operation).
Distressed black hardware and satin finish

Neck:
Warmoth Tele 24.75" scale
Wenge with Bloodwood fret board
Stainless Frets
Standard thin profile and 1 11/16 nut
Sperzel style tuners

VSgPDHM.jpg

ODFK05J.jpg

Guitar #8 Seamas

Mahogany Stratocaster

Body: Warmoth Stratocaster, light Mahogany
Owner finished. Alcohol based wood dye, Mahogany red mixed with crimson
Aerosol Nitrocellulose Clear Coat
Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan Vintage Flat Strat SSL-2
Middle pickup: Seymour Duncan Vintage Flat Strat SSL-2 (rwrp)
Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan Cool Rails Strat
Gotoh Wilkinson Bridge VS100
Wired with Bridge having lower tone control, neck and middle sharing upper tone control, treble bleed circuit on volume, 7-way switching via mini toggle

Neck: Warmoth Modern Strat
Standard Thin profile
10-16" compound radius
6230 fret wire
1-11/16 at nut (Graphtech Black Tusq )
Neck Shaft : mahogany (user finished with dye and Nitrocellulose Lacquer
areosol clear coat
Fretboard Ebony (black)
Schaller M6 Locking tuners

5ma4HS8.jpg

w9X7yUg.jpg

Guitar #9 Rick

Body
Chambered Swamp Ash Tele body
Grain filled natural with something from Minwax
Finished with Tru-Oil
Gotoh Tele Bridge
The GBE saddles are String Saver Classics with the tusq insert.  The other saddles are stock stainless Gotohs.

Neck
Lightly Flamed maple tele 1 11/16
Standard Thin
SS Frets 6105
Planet Wave Locking Tuners

Electronics
Bill Lawrence PUPs. Can't remember the models.
Torres Engineering switching, 500K pots. Inner concentric tone knob controls the midrange, outer knob controls the overall tone.
The switch is 4 way; Bridge, Neck and Bridge para, Neck, Neck and Bridge Series.

NDqwBPB.jpg

bivpQi0.jpg

Does sanding the neck finish myself count as owner-finished :icon_biggrin:?

exaN said:
Does sanding the neck finish myself count as owner-finished :icon_biggrin:?
If so, then so does my rattle-can-satin-lacquer neck treatment!  :toothy12:

Seriously, does an owner finished neck with a Warmoth finished body qualify for an owner finished product.  I have a body that was finished by Warmoth, but i finished the neck.  Is it appropriate to submit it this month or to wait until next month?

Thanks!

Dano said:
Seriously, does an owner finished neck with a Warmoth finished body qualify for an owner finished product.  I have a body that was finished by Warmoth, but i finished the neck.  Is it appropriate to submit it this month or to wait until next month?

Thanks!

It wouldn't seem to be in the spirit of 'owner finished' to me.

I wouldn't think so, either. I think of the finish as the body covering, with the neck a separate issue. Neck embellishments such as burnishing or adding a headstock feature such as a decal/emblem are more along the lines of detailing.

Nobody made me judge. They didn't even let me sit on the jury last time I got called. But in my opinion...

the only way finish on the neck should count is if you had applied some sort of non-transparent finish. If you bought a snazzy body and then finished the neck yourself with matching burst... I could see maybe, but even then I and I lot of people wouldn't be happy about it. But I could begrudgingly see the point.  The neck finish is typically such a small part of the eye candy that I don't think a hand rubbed oil or rattlecan clear should outweigh the professionally finished body.

Might be wisest to just leave it to the judgement of GOM. After all, this is all just for fun and a chance to showcase your pride 'n joy - there's no great big prize attached that I know of.
Body / Neck is just one possible point of discussion, but what about somebody who builds guitars on a commercial basis, and enters the guitar he built for himself? That would be both profesionally finished AND owner finished.

That's been settled previously. Greg (Tonar) can enter his own projects in GOTM Owner finished. If he sends it to the other Greg (Great Ape) and he carves something into it and does the finish, he has to enter it in Professionally finished. If I send mine to either one, it's Professionally finished.

Time to get things started, spe111 and Dano are first up. Good luck both!

All bets are off! If you thought it was going to be a quiet month, think again!

Welcome Rob91bob, D.B and vetteman to the contest!

Oh my there is one of these guitars that I'd really like to plug in a give it a go! Think I'll vote that way.

Odds are back to a tele winning, the last two entries being tele's in disguise.

Not one, but two more Teles!

Great Ape and DMRACO are entrants #6 and #7! Good luck!

Back