Warmoth online neck builder launched!

TBurst Std said:
I am curious about the Nightswan inlay option.
It's not listed on the normal website.

Must be like the Kramer - I have seen it on a couple of Warmoths on ebay - always assumed it was an old option

P6280008.JPG

Thanks for the feedback.  Think of this as version 2.0.  There's still more to be added.  We've intentionally left out a few options that require greater oversight. (ie. peghead veneers and fancy finishes.)  While Warmoth does amazing work, there are some things that are just bad ideas.  There's already quite a bit of intelligence in the configurator to manage product incompatibilities.  The toughest part is to manage those 'unique' configurations.  That's where the experience of our sales reps comes in to play.

Keep the comments coming! More to come! :rock-on:

Not to derail the thread, but did anyone notice real-time shipping rates have been added to international shipping??? (I know.... how boring....)

The problem on peghead veneers is put them avaiable just on the right categorie? (like Spalted maple only on tilt back?)

I saw the real time shipping rates and I think this is amazing! You guys are doing a great job on this! :icon_thumright:

AndyG said:
Hmmmm ....

You cannot build bass necks with this thing.

Is that coming anytime soon?
It is coming. Not sure how soon though. You'll probably be getting a guitar body builder next.  :icon_biggrin:

This will definitely make the process of ordering custom bodies/necks easier for those of us outside the US, I can't wait to test the body system (and to have enough cash to order a second Warmoth).

Looks very nice.

A couple of concerns:

It's very slow on Firefox, presumably due to the background image and the static position "mini-basket configurator" on the right (I've seen that on other sites, too).

Given that the mini-basket hangs around it should do something more useful, e.g. display the current total.

I think you should provide a link to a plain list of unique fingerboard choices, all woods.  You see right you cannot even say "all rosewood, don't care", or "all ebony". The choice of fingerboard wood for a build really doesn't mix that well with picking one particular piece of wood.  The former needs a specific menu.  The latter needs a less specific menu.

Extra options that cost money should have the price inside the pulldown menu so that you get a "price list" without going through all options manually.

uOpt said:
It's very slow on Firefox, presumably due to the background image and the static position "mini-basket configurator" on the right (I've seen that on other sites, too).

Hmm, dunno why this didn't occur to me, but it seems to be the issue that I'm running into as well.  The lag and locking up seems to be associated with Firefox, as when I open the builder in IE, it's not lightning-fast (there's a definitive update "tick" upon selections), but it's not awful like it is in Firefox.  I would seriously consider having someone optimize both the builder and the site for Firefox, as many (if not most) people are using this as their browser of choice.

My 2c.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
uOpt said:

Hmm, dunno why this didn't occur to me, but it seems to be the issue that I'm running into as well.  The lag and locking up seems to be associated with Firefox, as when I open the builder in IE, it's not lightning-fast (there's a definitive update "tick" upon selections), but it's not awful like it is in Firefox.  I would seriously consider having someone optimize both the builder and the site for Firefox, as many (if not most) people are using this as their browser of choice.

My 2c.

-Mark

Yeah, Firefox has well-known problems when you combine high-res background images and these fixed-position CSS elements that move with the scrolling.

It's OK on an unloaded machine but when I have lots of work stuff take CPU in the background it gets annoying.

Right now that fixed box on the right is also completely useless, although of course it could be filled with useful stuff.

uOpt said:
Yeah, Firefox has well-known problems when you combine high-res background images and these fixed-position CSS elements that move with the scrolling.

It's OK on an unloaded machine but when I have lots of work stuff take CPU in the background it gets annoying.

Right now that fixed box on the right is also completely useless, although of course it could be filled with useful stuff.

I'd heard this from tech-savy friends (I try to stay as ignorant as possible about some things and rely on people who actually care), but I troll a LOT of sites on the scary interwebs, and none of them take the proverbial dump like the Warmoth site seems to in Firefox.  Maybe it's the fixed CSS (again, I'm trying to stay dumb here), but it's effectively bad.com.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
uOpt said:

I'd heard this from tech-savy friends (I try to stay as ignorant as possible about some things and rely on people who actually care), but I troll a LOT of sites on the scary interwebs, and none of them take the proverbial dump like the Warmoth site seems to in Firefox.  Maybe it's the fixed CSS (again, I'm trying to stay dumb here), but it's effectively bad.com.

-Mark

Try http://www.battlefront.com/

But it's true, very few sites experience this, this is probably why the Mozilla people don't think it's worth fixing.

It should be easy to put up solid and transparent neck finishes up on the list, as that's what people usually get.

I've been using Firefox 3.0.10 on Fedora on this site for months - and checked out the neck ordering page.  I've not noticed performance worse than any other site build with ASP.NET/C#.  Much of this could easily be explained by traffic.

One thing I noticed was that Sharkfin inlay doesn't have Mother of Pearl available.  I assume it's supposed to be that way.

Gregg, just a little suggestion for the neck builder.... How about a unique choice for the peg head veneer... :dontknow:

Just some food for thought... :icon_biggrin:

Also cherrywood needs to be added to the neck shaft choices, if y'all are offering this as a full time option... :icon_thumright:

Dude - that was so wrong to reopen this thread. May 2009? I saw it on my blackberry, so I ran into the office to try out the new neck builder, hoping to  see something like the new strat body builder. I hate you.

swarfrat said:
Dude - that was so wrong to reopen this thread. May 2009? I saw it on my blackberry, so I ran into the office to try out the new neck builder, hoping to  see something like the new strat body builder. I hate you.

+1

I opened the neck builder and thought, wait a second what the hell? not cool...  :sad:

swarfrat said:

elfro89 said:
swarfrat said:

+1

I opened the neck builder and thought, wait a second what the hell? not cool...  :sad:
Hahahaha, suckers..... :laughing11:

Back