Walnut bodies

kbobb

Hi All,
I'm interested in a strat - type guitar made of North American wood, specifically swamp ash or walnut body with roasted maple neck.  I have a pretty good idea what the swamp ash and roasted maple will be like but not sure what to expect for walnut.  Can anyone throw in their thoughts and experience with warmoth walnut bodies - both from a sound and visual perspective.  some of the images I googled were spectacular and others were quite plain.  seems like a gamble.  Knowing that wood is a natural product I expect this to a degree but would hope some of the less visually appealing pieces are culled out.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Here's some Strat bodies in walnut: http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Path=Stratocaster&core=9

I especially like this one:

PS11011a.jpg

Walnut, like maple, comes in very plain pieces and spectacularly figured pieces. The example shown above is certainly listed as "figured walnut" on Warmoth's site (I'm just guessing, but I would be surprised if it just said "walnut"). Also like maple, there are quite a few different types/species of walnut that are used in guitar bodies. Claro walnut is a species that is generally quite figured and beautiful, a strange mix of curly and burl figuring.

Just like black korina, mahogany, and even alder, sometimes you can get some pieces that have a bit of figuring in them (sometimes a lot), but I think as a general rule if you just specify that you want "walnut" I wouldn't expect any figuring. You might still get some pretty crazy grain and color variations (maybe you like that, maybe you don't) but figuring is generally an upcharge.

Your best bet is to call Warmoth and tell them what you want. If they know you want a piece that you are going to put a clear finish over, I highly doubt they would send you a two piece body with a color mismatch, etc.

Walnut in general is dense and therefore generally heavy (think 4-4.5 lbs at least for a strat, over 5 for a tele or larger body). It is darker brown color, whereas mahogany is a more red/brown color. It generally gets very "chocolate" like with clear. The piece above is a good average color for walnut. It is a classic tone-wood, and is likened to maple for being a "bright" sounding wood.

As an aside, it works very easily, and is a VERY popular woodworking wood both because it is very visually appealing, accepts finishes well, and isn't hell on tools like other hardwoods. I think the dust smells bad though.

Here is my Warmoth Strat w/ figured Walnut ( not sure if Claro or Black)  top, solid Walnut back. I like the H/S/S configuration, and I have it paired with a Warmoth solid Rosewood Shaft Neck and Ziricote fretboard.

It is heavy, and bright, but its got the biggest roundest low mids of any of my Strats. The wood seems to have "opened up" in the 10 years I've had it. These are old pics, right now it has a Dimarzio Ice Cream pickup that works very well, after I tried lots of different pickups- it rounds out the sharp highs. Also a nice sounding Dimarzio Pro Track single 'bucker in the neck . Old Charvel Brass Tremolo replaced the Wilkie. ;

jerr2049.jpg
[/URL]

[/img]

Thanks all
If the body in Logrinn's post was a top route i would have bought it - it seems the higher grade tops are all rear routed - maybe for good reason to show off the top.
I was interested in an HSH top route for versatility to use as H/H or, with a different pickguard, SSS.  Was hoping to get or make a wood pickguard from hi grade figured wood.

If Warmoth had a high grade top like arealken's in stock i would get that -  they have 3 hi grade walnuts in the unique choice section and they are OK - maybe they would look better when finished.

Here's a walnut bodied/necked Carvin 5 string bass kit build that I was asked to mentor a young man on.

This is done in Tru-Oil, hand buffed.  There's some dust near the humbucker that I should have wiped down first, but this finish is 4 years old and still looking wonderfully.

Oh, and it sounds amazing.  Very well balanced tone overall, in either/both pickup arrangements.

amigarobbo said:
From the experience from my painted walnut bass, heavy.
Yes, walnut is heavy. Even in small amounts, this is a custom I made of solid walnut and flame maple. It's about the size of a 7/8 strat and it's heavy. But it's probably my favorite to play, I love the tones from it.
PointysFloyds.jpg

Walnut looks really interesting. But also I am pleased to hear that a solid Rosewood neck on it is not too warm.

thanks for the photos!

TonyFS and JackTH - are your bodies standard wood orders or are they part of the "unique choice" woods?

if I knew I would get a body like that with those colors and grain pattern I'd order immediately - however I have seen a couple walnut body photos that are kinda bland grain wise.

thanks again all

kbobb said:
thanks for the photos!

TonyFS and JackTH - are your bodies standard wood orders or are they part of the "unique choice" woods?

if I knew I would get a body like that with those colors and grain pattern I'd order immediately - however I have seen a couple walnut body photos that are kinda bland grain wise.

thanks again all

The one I posted is NOT a Warmoth, but rather a Carvin kit.  I only posted it as an example of how nicely walnut can finish with a hand rubbed Tru-Oil finish.  I mentored a young man on the finish and assembly, with myself doing the final setup work.  Unless photographed professionally, Walnut can be difficult to photograph in a manner that can truly do it justice.

Weight wise, this bass is on the heavy side, but no matter, it's tone is huge and a 3.5" wide padded strap from LM Enterprises takes away the shoulder pain issues.

The one I posted is NOT a Warmoth, but rather a Carvin kit.  I only posted it as an example of how nicely walnut can finish with a hand rubbed Tru-Oil finish.  I mentored a young man on the finish and assembly, with myself doing the final setup work.  Unless photographed professionally, Walnut can be difficult to photograph in a manner that can truly do it justice.

Weight wise, this bass is on the heavy side, but no matter, it's tone is huge and a 3.5" wide padded strap from LM Enterprises takes away the shoulder pain issues.
[/quote]

Tony,
did you use grain filler and how many coats of Truoil are on that body?

That is exactly the finish I plan to use.

thank you

kbobb said:

Tony,
did you use grain filler and how many coats of Truoil are on that body?

That is exactly the finish I plan to use.

thank you
[/quote]

No "grain filler" in an official capacity.

Light coat of Tru-Oil, sanded into the grain at 1000 grit.  From there, thin coats until grain filled and basically level above grain surface.

From there, about 8 coats of Tru-Oil, starting with a thin coat at first, progressively getting thicker, but not too thick.  Check & level sand as needed at this point.  You'll feel the cloth building up if it's too thick of a coat. 

We let it harden for a good week or two before doing final sanding/buffing.

Finishing is all a huge lesson in patience.  If you don't have the patience, either learn it or contract it out.  I have to admit, finishing is not my favorite thing to do compared to the rest of the building process.

Having said that, my process may not be ideal, but then again, this isn't my bag baby.

This is a walnut j-bass body with figured walnut top from the showcase. To second amigarobbo: heavy. But with great sound and sustain.

BASS001.JPG

The body in my post was a Showcase figured walnut body I bought in 2007, think it was on sale for $235; that's why they called it good old days...  It's unfinished, I just wipe it down with Watco Danish Oil once a year.

brand new Kiesel Vader. Mostly plain grain but look at the subtle flame on the neck. All gorgeous.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 355
Back