Vox Amplug Lead..call me nuts but..

jeffgtr

Tried out a friend's recently,and got one for X-mas. Been playing the heck out of it since. Am amazed how decent this thing actually sounds for what it is.
I've used a half-dozen different guitars through it,and it all sounds good. For a little SS amp (I've been a hard-core,Tube head- only- guy for 20+yrs),this thing sounds as good or better than some full-size amps.
So far, I've played it as intended-headphones, Ive direct-recorded with it, have played it plugged into PC speakers, a P.A. system-and all have sounded decent enough to use as THE amp itself. And -just out of curiosity-later today Im going to plug it into the AUX input of my Honda Element's 270 watt sound system, and then into the front end of my Laney stack when I get home. :headbang:
This little thing almost has me entirely re-thinking amps in general. Especially SS amps.
It responds/ "feels" little different than playing through a tube amp,when cranked/distorted. It has only a gain control,tone control and volume control-BUT- in just tweaking around with those three dials-and the guitar's volume/tone controls (not to mention coil-taps) it can get a very wide array of tones.
That gain control has a VERY wide range-as does the tone control. Im used to more typical tone stacks,but this one knob seems able to dial in quiet a nice range.
BUT- the gain maxed out,it begins to get a bit harsh-I dial mine back to around 75%-80%,and it smooths out. With the tone maxed out,it get's a bit bright-so I --depending on the guitar-keep it around mid-way.
It has a delay in it. Sounds pretty good-but is not adjustable-it's the same rate all the time.
My only real complaint with the thing is that plugged directly into the guitar, it swivels around a lot-and eventually the output jack on the guitar will loosen up.
Beyond that though...
Im impressed enough with this thing,Im considering getting the other models as well (AC30/CLASSIC ROCK/METAL) for even more variety.
This one,though covers a lot of territory-gain-wise. You can dial it in to sound like Plexi-through AOR/Mesa type saturation.
I've  A/B'd it with a couple of hi-gain tube heads just to compare-if you were in the room blind-folded,you'd have a hard time guessing which is which...

So-my question is this: Why the heck cant SS amp makers have done this before? Make an analog SS amp that sounds this decent,and responds this well?
Years back, Ive had old Peavey SS amps, Ive since played more recent SS amps-just to see wtf- from Peavey,even Vox's other ,own SS amps, H&K, Fender, and most of the digital "modelling" amps-and none of them seem to sound as nice.
Surely, a throw-back, analog (not DSP modelled) circuit like this-esp. one that fits into this tiny little thing-cant be that difficult to develop,and make sound this good,can it?
Vox would have one heck of an amp on thier hands if they took all 4 of these circuits, made them the "channels" of a full-blown amp (combo or head) put it to a decent power section, and let it rip...

Ha ha, they appear to be very promising! I've seen aheap of them around in shops and not bothered to give them the time of day, worth a look at, you suggest eh? :hello2:

Wonder what's inside of them that makes them sound so good? Maybe they have a Mini SD disc full of data to replicate the sound at at least 16bit sampling? But you say they are SS, not digital at all?

Also wonder if you could daisy chain about 6 of 'em together and get a Brian May wall of VOX sound effect, he he..... :evil4:  

Oh, and Vox do have their own micro cabinet for the little blighters too, but your full blown amp idea has some merit.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/amplug/amplugcabinet/

Let us all know how it fares through the Laney stack, will be innaresting...

Back